Any point to getting DDR667 over DDR533 in a C2D notebook?

SeetheSeer

Weaksauce
From what I have gathered, it seems that there is in reality no difference between DDR2 533 and DDR2 667 with Conroe, but once you get to DDR2 800 you start seeing the performance increases. Now, my question relates to Merom, on which I have found very little information. Since the highest speed available for merom is DDR2 667, there's really no point to buying this speed memory / running memory at this setting, right? I know the benefit of getting faster speed memory with conroe is for overclocking and staying 1:1, yet overclocking is not feasible in a laptop.

In short, should I bother with ddr2 667 memory in a merom laptop?

The real difference would be a lower CAS latency. 533 at cas 4 is roughly as good as 667 at cas 5.

There are no notebook modules rated to run at DDR2 667 cas 4 in the size I want (1GB). There's pretty much only value RAM products. Plus, it's not like you can put heat spreaders on the things.

I read a shitload about RAM and I've concluded that just get your damn ram as cheap as you can get it to work and that's it. peformance ram has virtually imperceivable gains.

ForBuilding said:
I read a shitload about RAM and I've concluded that just get your damn ram as cheap as you can get it to work and that's it. peformance ram has virtually imperceivable gains.
well said :D

i still need to do a ddr2 performance article.. though i can say now that it's seriously.. way more than most situations call for

Back