Any Updated News/ETA on (Retail) AM4 Bristol Ridge APUs?

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Now that TR is out, can we get some love for the upcoming retail boxed AM4 Bristol Ridge APUs? Last I read it was sounding like way late this year or even Q1 2018. I'm trying to keep my stock of FM2+ at a minimum in anticipation for these.

Do you mean Raven Ridge Zen base APU? Mark Papermaster at the Cannacord Genuity conference yesterday said they will be at the end of the year. These will only be ball grid array an/or land grid array this year according to the roadmap. AM4 Ryzen mobile will arrive in 2018 supposedly from the roadmap.

No, he means Bristol Ridge. AMD announced around a week or so ago that they would be available. I think it was a paper launch for retail though.

A12-9800 models have been popping up on Ebay from China.

Yep, Bristol Ridge is specifically what I am referring to. Yeah, I saw some A12 and I think A10 and A8 APUs from China on eBay. I would be leery of them, no idea if they have any warranty of any kind.

I am hoping to get a Bristol Ridge as well. I just want a new build to play around with until I can swap it with Raven Ridge next year.
If z370 comes out first, I will probably just get an 8350k instead.

The truth is that Zen APUs are a while off. I doubt AMD would be able to release their new APU series sooner than Christmas.

I'm looking for Ryzen mobile for a new laptop for my wife and I, I guess we will be waiting a bit...

When are the APU wiith actual zen cores supposed to launch. All I see are excavator based ones right now being tossed around.

When are the APU wiith actual zen cores supposed to launch. All I see are excavator based ones right now being tossed around.

Q4'17/Q1'18 time frame. but my guess is Q1'18 for the consumer market while the prebuild market will get them earlier.. given all the deals AMD has had to make with exclusivity for TR and ryzen to get into those markets i'm sure they've had to make other promises and that's where raven ridge comes in. just my guess but hopefully i'm wrong since i really want a raven ridge APU.

4 Bristol Ridge CPUs are now showing on Newegg, X4 950, A8-9600, A10-9700E (35W!), A12-9800. They are showing from BuyVPC.com or antonline.com, all have BOX in the model # so assume it comes with a HSF.

OK, they are adding more as the day goes by, up to 7 now listed:

A6-9500E
X4 950
A8-9600
A10-9700
A10-9700E
A12-9800E
A12-9800

Not gonna buy an apu until Zen APUs come out hopefully in the next 2 or 3 months or less or more who the f knows.

Last edited:
Not gonna buy an apu until Zen APUs come out hopefully in the next 2 or 3 months or less or more who the f knows.
If you look at their roadmap Ryzen mobile for AM4 is scheduled for early 2018. First will come BGA and LGA for embedded/notebook.

FYI, Newegg itself is now selling/shipping most/all of these APUs. Wednesday most were shipping from 3rd-party vendors. And the prices dropped on a bunch of them.

Example: A12-9800 (65W) is showing $109.99.

I am more curious about a zen refresh or silicon improvement than the APUs, but I think they might be good for some home pcs or media servers right? I almost bought an APU a few years ago but ended up not.

I ordered the A12-9800, arriving next week.

Does anyone know if these throttle the CPU under GPU load like the FM2 models do?

Unless you want a cpu that's permanently wired to 30-35W just so it doesn't have to downclock when the gpu becomes active ... "throttle" is the wrong word imo. I think the question you really wanted to ask is if they balanced the cpu/gpu clocking better than some of the initial apus. I thought that's one of the things they addressed with Richland / Kaveri. If you are concerned about peak performance, you're doing it wrong ...

The A12-9800E is tempting for a Commodore 64 case I have with mechanical keyboard. Previously 65w was just too much heat for the case but 35w would probably be perfect. I most likely will just wait until the Ryzen versions come out later.

Back