Anyone else having s939/61xx mobo issues lately?

[LYL]Homer

Supreme [H]ardness
I build pc's for friends and coworkers and have had four systems in the last 1.5 weeks have major problems that have all been s939 nVidia 6150 chipset boards - 2 Asus, 1 DFI, and 1 MSI board.

Two had RAID 1 arrays that corrupted (Asus and MSI).

One had 2 USB ports completely die and the others are intermittently working (MSI).

One has video errors (non-RAID system, DFI).

The MSI and both Asus have also been having random reboots.

It just seems odd that all the 6150 systems I built have suddenly gone in the crapper without any issues before this. Has anyone else had issues with these boards? Or am I just having a bad week? :confused:

cough cough.. its nvidia.. cough cough.. lol

sorry had to say it.. im not really a fan of nvidia chipsets.. only one that hasnt failed on me yet is the nf3 250gb.. other then that ive never had a nvidia chipset last me more then a year..

but if its raid, video and USB you can automatically assume its the chipset.. since thats what controls all 3 of those..

There have probably been people with issues with those boards but probably not all at the same time like you have. Were there any environmental factors that could have caused this? Lighting storm? The timing of these failures seems to imply something other than just the chipset.

I know the LAN went out on my old NF2 board when a bad storm hit a few years back. But the rest of the board still works today. Fortunately it had dual onboard NICs too.

im running a MSI socket 939 nvidia 6150 chipset (see sig) and having the same problems . System was running fine and rock solid for about 1 1/2 years , then i started getting raid issues , not finding hdd , ram problems ... I replaced my old PSU with a Corsair , but now again i get random BSOD's and system freeze .
Im thinking about dumping that board now and upgrade to a Phenom2 build.
Kind of sad , because i really liked my old S939 rig . :(

Computers don't last forever, Socket 939 is showing its age sorry to say, loved my Abit KN8-Sli 939 rig its currently gathering dust as a backup under my desk.

Man, that is just weird. I still use my 6100 chipset board pretty frequently. No problems with anything. But Sniviler, computers DO last forever. I still use my old AthlonXP setup as a fileserver/bittorrent box. A sprinkle of Linux can revive any older hardware.

Man, that is just weird. I still use my 6100 chipset board pretty frequently. No problems with anything. But Sniviler, computers DO last forever. I still use my old AthlonXP setup as a fileserver/bittorrent box. A sprinkle of Linux can revive any older hardware.

Sprinkle of Linux...like it's magic pixie dust :p.

s939 NF4 still going strong for me. s939/6100 is still going. AM2/6100 still going also. LGA775/650i still working too now that I think about it. I haven't had any issues with any of them in the past month. I would bet there was some sort of electrical surge if all those died in the same week.

Three skt939 6100 or 6150 mobos here. One BioStar (TForce 6100 on my son's rig), two Foxconns (K8MA6100 on the beater wagon, K8MA6150 on my daughter's Emachine). All three seem to be running ok. The chipset thermometer on the beater wagon mobo was always bad and the USB connection seems to be a bit underpowered on one connetion but overall they seem to be running well. My son and daughter's rigs are not on all the time so I am not sure if that is why they lasted ok. The beater wagon rig runs all the time and to make sure the chipset heat sink (which gets quite warm) stays cool, I screwed on a 40mm CoolerMaster fan I took off one of the many Blue Ices I bought from SVC when they had them on sale for like $2.99 ea. Keeps the rig running quite cool. My son's rig uses a 7600GT now so the onboard video is not needed anymore. My daugther still uses the 6150 but she doesn't game much. Overall, the NForce 410 and 430 chipsets have run ok for us (knock wood).

I was kind of wondering if a Windows Update could have put a wrinkle in everything. We had one lightning strike in Seattle here last week, but that was after I started getting the calls on these systems. So far 3 of the 4 people have decided to replace the mobo and do a general upgrade, nothing like insta-reboots to motivate them!

Back