Anyone else waiting for Z68 mobos?

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
I heard they're coming out in June. Can't wait to get one. Ivy Bridge here I come! :D

Hmm even better! :)

Aah I found out it's not Ivy Bridge though.

Hmmm should I wait longer?

If Ivy Bridge turns out to be SR2 type hardware, I don't think I'm going for that.

How will Z68 compare to the x58? I love having the ability to use 3x or even 4x GPUs!

other than unlocking quick-sync and oc'ing at the same time plus the SSD cache gimmic, i'll think i'll hold.

unless amd's BD 900 series platform has the goods, socket 2011 is likely my next upgrade path from current system (in sig).

Hmm even better! :)

Aah I found out it's not Ivy Bridge though.

Hmmm should I wait longer?

If Ivy Bridge turns out to be SR2 type hardware, I don't think I'm going for that.

How will Z68 compare to the x58? I love having the ability to use 3x or even 4x GPUs!

Z68 is the same as P67 as far as PCIe goes - the only differences/benefits are the use of the on-board GPU with overclocking, and the SSD cache thing.

They're already out dammint:

They're listed as 'in stock' here in NZ, and I'm sure this is not an error, because I also received the newsletter from that shop that stated they were selling them.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=147&t=2

This shit hole country is usually the last place to get anything, so it would be nothing short of a miracle if there weren't other countries selling them too...

Them being in stock in NZ is about as useful as them being in stock in Taiwan to most of the users here, who are from the US or Europe.

The point was that they obviously aren't waiting until June to release them.

Or perhaps that store is just selling them early, as happened with P67 boards. Just because they are on sale at one store in NZ, doesn't mean they are released.

Everyone waiting for an SB ITX board that overclocks is waiting on this. I just hope they have a solid one upon release. I don't wanna wait another 2 months for some ITX version to come out.

Everyone waiting for an SB ITX board that overclocks is waiting on this. I just hope they have a solid one upon release. I don't wanna wait another 2 months for some ITX version to come out.

same here....or at least quick BIOS updates!

I'll be sticking with my P67 for the time being. Have no real use for Quick Sync or SSD caching at the moment.

I have been planning a new build for the upcoming phenomina called Battlefield 3. I almost pulled the trigger on an Asus P67 board this weekend, but decided to wait for the Z68. My reason is very simple: If something should go wrong with my main video card, I can always reset the bios and start up the system using the craptacular onboard video to research the cause or buy a replacement main card. Yes, it may never ever be used if I'm lucky with my main video card. But is sure is comforting to know I have an alternative.

Yes, waiting for z68 and Bulldozer reviews. After that, we shall see....

z68 + i5-2500K or
h67 + i5-2400 or
Bulldozer

I want to be able to use the IGP as a backup GPU, even though I will probably never use it...:D
But, I'm in no hurry, and I might even wait for Ivy Bridge. I'm very tempted to upgrade before Skyrim though.

I am. I have 3 systems I need to put together and I finally got the go ahead on the 5th. I didn't see the point in ordering before the Z68 came out so I was expecting to get my ordering action on today.

Not so much ...

Count me among those that have been waiting for Z68 instead of somewhat crippled x67 versions.
I'm especially interested in SSD caching.....

The ASUS P8Z68-V Pro looks great but does anyone know when the "other" versions are supposed to hit? You know, the dual nic, 37 SATA port types?

From this review at anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review/8

The Z does not add anything over the P set that is worth while unless you do not have a dedicated GPU.
The Z costs more by a few bucks.

The on board GPU is not really needed, it only provides minimum power savings when used.
It adds nothing to fps when gaming.

SSD caching while kind of useful, is dependent on the size of the SSD used for caching.
So I gather that you are better of with a small SSD for OS and a big storage drive for media, as people are doing now.
Also, it sounds like intel did the usual early adopters screwing by not implementing it on the P platform. (SSD caching is a software feature from what i understand)

The on board GPU is not really needed.

WRONG!!!!

Its needed for............
1, when I decide to upgrade my video card, I will still be able to use my pc while selling/buying my new video card.

2, If my discrete graphics card fails (as in the past) Im still able to use my pc.

3, When the time comes to sell on my pc, I have the choice of keeping my discrete card if I wish, knowing that the new owner can still use my old pc with integrated graphics.

I was looking for a new board, compared the stats of the new Z68 but it does not offer anything drastic over the P67 one.

Settled on an AsRock P67 PRO board. I am using only one vid card.

WRONG!!!!

Its needed for............
1, when I decide to upgrade my video card, I will still be able to use my pc while selling/buying my new video card.

2, If my discrete graphics card fails (as in the past) Im still able to use my pc.

3, When the time comes to sell on my pc, I have the choice of keeping my discrete card if I wish, knowing that the new owner can still use my old pc with integrated graphics.

All of these things can be accomplished with a backup video card. Who doesn't have one these days?

Yeah, until your data is bumped out of the cache or something goes wrong while it's transferring the data to the conventional HDD. Might as well get an SSD with adequate size for your needs and be done with it.

Aldamon, are you suggesting he just has to put his backup card in the pc he's selling, and then buy another backup card for his new pc? Not everyone has the money for an extra card.

Me, I'd hate the feeling of having a redundant card lying around that I can't sell because the IGP is artificially disabled!!! It stinks.

Like all motherboard purchases it depends on cost and features. I like the idea that I can buy a board to use as an HTPC with an I3 2100 and upgrade with video cards, an I5 2400, or an I5 2500K. You can change your mind without buying a new board.
The reviews are good. So its cost benefit time.
If I can catcg a Z68 board I like on sale or combo, I will. If I find a P67 deal I like first, temptation is likely.
I caught a Shell Shocker on a Biostar TH67B for $75, then bought an I5 2400 for $180. I expect these are all I need now.
Will await beta testing live of Z68 for now. What hurts is I couldn't justify buying a 2500K over the 2400 for an H67 board.
Ah well next year. Z68, the answer to "woulda coulda shoulda".

All of these things can be accomplished with a backup video card. Who doesn't have one these days?.

And why should you have to fork out for a backup graphics card?, when you've already paid for integrated cpu/grapics chip & Z68 board?

Guys, the premise of this thread was waiting for Z68. Now it should be a question about paying the premium for Z68....Now that we remember what the topic is about, back to your question:

Aldamon, are you suggesting he just has to put his backup card in the pc he's selling, and then buy another backup card for his new pc? Not everyone has the money for an extra card.

Me, I'd hate the feeling of having a redundant card lying around that I can't sell because the IGP is artificially disabled!!! It stinks.

No, I'm suggesting a backup card (something anyone sensible around here would already have) would address concern 1 and 2, while 3 is confusing and unnecessary. With number 3, who wouldn't buy a P67 rig without a video card and why would the system need to be sold complete in the first place? None of those concerns justify buying Z68 over P67.

Also, you'd hate to have redundant card lying around? Are you guys kidding me? I have a 7300LE in my closet to bridge the gap between video cards. I think it's worth about $5 now. I also have easy access to a GT240 if needed. I think it's worth $20 tops. Am I losing sleep over having P67? Hell no.

Now let's talk about the goofiness that's the Lucid software. There's already confusion everywhere about what you can and can't do, what the configurations are, what causes performance hits, how bad they are, etc. etc. If that sounds appealing to you, have at it. To me, I'm thinking better luck next time Intel.

BTW, P67s are getting blown out right now. The board I have (TP67B+) is going for $99 shipped now. Z68 just isn't a good buy yet.

So a lot of people waited for Z68 knowing that they would have both onboard graphics (even if just for backup) & overclock ability, correct?

Well I now find out that some cards, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 comes with no video output socket...

Am I the only one who feels a little bit let down by this? :eek:(

So a lot of people waited for Z68 knowing that they would have both onboard graphics (even if just for backup) & overclock ability, correct?

Well I now find out that some cards, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 comes with no video output socket...

Am I the only one who feels a little bit let down by this? :eek:(

No, I am flabbergasted by that thing. I saw it at Newegg and just :confused::confused::confused:

Wasn't Gigabyte replacing their high-end P67 boards with Z68? Could be the reason for this board, but I still don't understand why they would want to cut out stuff on such an expensive board...

Back