Anyone try the Classic Doom mod for Doom3 yet?

Yeah, its amazing isnt it? I've been playing the updates since they started. Really good stuff.

I played it prior to the 1.0 release, though it was a stable version.

Wonderful memories in a better looking shell! :D

Wow. I tried out a couple of early releases that only had a couple of levels and then decided to just leave it alone until it got finished, if ever. And here it is, 1.0, and it's very good. I just played the first five levels and have four to go. I was very surprised to see a spectre in there too. I played through the original Doom shareware many, many times as I'm sure a lot of others have, so this is a very cool mod to have.

This mod is just badass !!! and hell no its not dark its just like doom but with kick ass graphics and sound. Honestly they should of packaged and sold the dam thing I would of bought it for sure. I hope they do a doom2 mod now !

i was one of the people who actually liked d3 and i feel the whole game is played out.. time to move on :)

wahoyaho said:
is it still dark as hell?
Well you are "suppose to be" in hell playing it. I was very surpprized when i first played it since I could not see shit in that game even when I saw shitload of lights above me :(. Really dissapointed me, At first I thought my monitor was too dark, but then I realized it was not the case, however i will try that v.1.0 original doom as soon as I get my internet working ;( .

Shane said:
I hope they do a doom2 mod now !

That would be tremendous, but it's not going to happen because you can still buy Doom II, but Knee Deep In The Dead has always been free.

I finished playing through the mod and forgot how few weapons and monster types were in the first episode. Just awesome though and I'll probably play through it again.

If you haven't given it a try, at least do it for the kickass cutscenes at the beginning and end.

Molgera said:
That would be tremendous, but it's not going to happen because you can still buy Doom II, but Knee Deep In The Dead has always been free.

What? Knee Deep in Hell, you mean? That was Episode I of Doom, which consisted of four episodes in total. Episode I was shareware, the rest you had to pay for. The first 8 levels of Doom II were shareware as well, which gave up on Episodes and offered 32 levels in total.

As for being in store, I've only seen the "Doom Collection" or whatever it's called. I believe that contains Doom I, Doom II and Final Doom if I'm not mistaken.

So, I don't think iD really has a problem with these mods. They made their cut long ago, and they're the guys releasing source code under GPL. If that isn't devotion to fans, I don't know what is.

I couldn't get it to run either, but I won't be trying again til I can get the replacement 6600 installed.

JCJones86 said:
What? Knee Deep in Hell, you mean? That was Episode I of Doom, which consisted of four episodes in total.
No it wasn't... the name I had was right.

JCJones86 said:
Episode I was shareware, the rest you had to pay for. The first 8 levels of Doom II were shareware as well, which gave up on Episodes and offered 32 levels in total.

Please direct me to a download of Doom II shareware. It doesn't exist.

JCJones86 said:
So, I don't think iD really has a problem with these mods. They made their cut long ago, and they're the guys releasing source code under GPL. If that isn't devotion to fans, I don't know what is.
From the Classic Doom FAQ: "The first episode of The Ultimate Doom - Knee Deep in the Dead is shareware, and that is all I intend to do for the time being. I figure since it's shareware, ID and Activision can't have any complaints since it's not drawing away from their sales."

So that's all we should expect.

Molgera said:
No it wasn't... the name I had was right.

Doh, I just checked with my copy of Ultimate Doom. You're right there. I always have it installed. :D

Molgera said:
Please direct me to a download of Doom II shareware. It doesn't exist.

I can't find one, but I'm certain they existed on Shareware discs. That's how I ever played Doom 2 in the first place. I didn't get the full versions until the iD Software Collection came out back in '96.

Molgera said:
From the Classic Doom FAQ: "The first episode of The Ultimate Doom - Knee Deep in the Dead is shareware, and that is all I intend to do for the time being. I figure since it's shareware, ID and Activision can't have any complaints since it's not drawing away from their sales."

I still wouldn't think the creators would mind. It's more likely a problem with the publisher than the development team. Either way, it doesn't sound like the author of this mod bothered to challenge that.

Back