Anyone want to help me choose an LCD?

It seems I'm incapable of purchasing the correct monitor, so I figured I'd post. I recently ordered an AG Neovo AGM CW-19, it hasn't arrived yet but I have a feeling it won't be able to do what I need it to do. It was a poor decision on my part because I didn't fully understand everything I needed to know before buying it.

In the off chance it does end up being ok, that's great, I'll hang onto it, but if it ends up getting sent back for a refund, I'd like to be able to choose a different monitor in a somewhat decent time frame.

I'd like a 19" screen LCD. Widescreen or not doesn't matter, but if a widescreen fits what I'm looking for, I'd prefer that.

My ideal budget is $250-280, but I'll go as high as $350 if needed. If a really great monitor ends up being like $380, I suppose it's worth it. If for some reason you happen to know of a great deal happening soon on NewEgg or another large retailer, I'd gladly wait for it. I want a nice monitor that'll last me quite a while. I don't think I could stomach dropping $400+ though, but I wouldn't mind hearing some comparisons vs a $400 monitor.

Maybe you guys can help me a little bit.

Here's what I want to do: (no specific order of importance)

1) I do image editing / drawing on a tablet as a hobby. I don't take it so seriously that I need an 8 bit 16.7m display. As long as the 2d images look rich and crisp, with an acceptable black level I'll be happy.

2) I do a fair bit of programming (wide screen would be nice here, but not 100% necessary). Text sharpness is a must.

3) I enjoy playing games. Minimal ghosting (border-line unnoticible), no funky effects would be a plus and is my main concern. From what I gathered I think a 6 bit 16.2m display would be my best bet since they seem to have the lowest response times, correct?

I'm not a typical "zOMG NEWEGG SAYS THIS IS THE BEST, NO GHOSTING RUNS BF2/COD2" blah blah gamer. I made this mistake the first time around listening to those people heh.

I'm a performance gamer so to speak. I have no problems taking a game like Quake 4, and dropping it down to 640x480 with the texture settings so low that it looks like I'm staring at cat vomit smeared in mud.

At the same time, In the off chance I do play a game where performance doesn't matter (like a MMORPG or a single player FPS), I would want it to look quite good. It doesn't have to be mouth watering insane, but definitely really nice looking would be a big plus.

Also at the same time, I happen to really enjoy a game where I'd prefer to run it at 640x480 full screen. This is my favorite game at the moment, and I most definitely see myself playing it for a long time.

I won't go into huge details about the game, but I feel it's necessary to post some things in better hopes to explain what I want to get out of the monitor.

Firstly, it's an online golf game. Running at the 640x480 resolution is necessary because the interface of the game scales with your resolution. Higher resolution = smaller UI. The game revolves using your hand/eye coordination to click a very small specific area at the right time.

There is 1 thing that must be rendered flawlessly (the monitor has to scale really well at non-native resolutions). It's a 3 pixel high line that rotates around the ball. I have to be able to look at that line, and evaluate any "breaks" (1-2 pixel rises or drops) in that line, while it rotates.

4) Fair bit of DVD viewing. I'm not an addict, but I'll rent movies somewhat often (maybe 2-3 times a month). They don't have to look so amazing that it brings a tear to your eye, but I'd like to be able to enjoy them.

I guess in order of importance I'd say:

1) Least amount of ghosting in games.
2A) Must scale lower resolutions really well. (tie, weighted 6/10)
2B) Vibrant/Rich looking colors (tie, weighted 2/10)
2C) Clear text (tie, weighted 2/10)
3) Acceptable DVD playback
4) Name brand doesn't really effect me. If it rocks, has a low dead pixel rate, has ran for extended amounts of times without issues, and a lot of people here like it, I'd be all over it.

My system isn't a "beast", but it's not pathetic (well, maybe a little compared to you guys heh).

P4 3.0c
512mb of RAM (never had a need to go higher, since I don't really play the newer games, and 512mb + Photoshop works for me)
ATI 9600XT (runs all my games ok, again -- no reason to upgrade at this time)

My current monitor is a 20" CRT from like 8 years ago, and I haven't touched a monitor since. I can feel this one is aging though. Text is looking way less sharp than it did, and things are starting to get fuzzy. I'm not going blind because I can see fine when I'm not looking at the monitor.

That's about it really. I just want an all around great little 19" that's reliable and can do the things I listed above.

Any suggestions? Before I ordered the Neovo I must have read about 200 threads here, and TBH I forgot the details on most of them. I will skim down the list again of course, but I wouldn't mind hearing what people think about xx monitor today -- as most of the threads I'll read would be from a few months ago.

Oh and I understand I'm working with a not so great budget. It's likely I won't be able to get a perfect monitor for this price and I can accept that.

Thanks for reading.

After some digging around, I think I found a decent one.

It's the Hyundai Q90U.

From what I read it's:

1) Quite good for gaming (no ghosting, etc.)
2) Really accurate colors
3) Quite good Text
4) Acceptable but not great DVD
5) Acceptable but not outstanding price ($320+shipping) at NewEgg.

The reviews I found leave me wanting to know a few more details though. These are the details that'll actually make me buy it, or never think about it again.

If you have this display, can you answer the following questions:

1) How well does it run games at 640x480 or 800x600? Well as in, is the image extremely clear still, any crazy ghosting effects from dropping out of the native res, etc..

2) Is it effected by that semi-unknown "lag" that some LCDs happen to have? I was reading some reviews on newegg (after reading real review sites, I tend to glance over em), and I noticed one BenQ monitor was reported to having a 100% unacceptable input delay, but other than that review everyone else was going nuts over it.

Since I read about that on these forums, and other hardware sites, and the reviewer did mention that he plays at a highly competitive level, I pretty much believe him and there's no way I'd buy that BenQ.

3) How long have you had it, and are you happy that you bought it?

thisismyusername said:
After some digging around, I think I found a decent one.

It's the Hyundai Q90U.

I agree. For $319 you get height and swivel adjustment and everything else..

IF you want a bit cheaper the Vp920b 4ms with height and swivel adjustment is $309 at Newegg.

I have to recommend the Samsung 940B. I did a lot of research before I bought an LCD, and this looked like the best one. I love mine, and play WoW, EQ2, HL2 and other games and notice absolutely no ghosting. Colors, black levels, brightness are all very good. Plus no dead pixels on mine.

Check this review out:http://www.behardware.com/articles/602-1/19-lcd-survey-2-3-4-6-8-ms-and-above.html The prices are in E but I think you can still find most of the monitors. They are very picky about everything and spot just about every flaw in a display, so I recommend you look at that article. They don't list the Samsung 940b/bf though, you might want to look at those too. There was a review on this forum somewhere, search for it. I have a 940b and it's quite a nice monitor, although the 940bf is newer and has a lower response time and overall looks nice. There are barlely any reviews for it though.

Hmm,

Read all the reviews for the 940bf, it seems quite nice too. Note: It's the BF, not B.

I'd love to hear your results from this monitor if you have it. Mainly lower res scaling, etc. (the questions in my first reply).

Hardware features (swivel, the way it looks) doesn't effect me for the most part. Honestly, if you were looking at my current monitor and have been using an LCD for months, you'd probably feel embarassed.

There's like a 2 inch white/yellow thick border on every side, it's slightly discolored in areas, etc.. A real mess (but clean -- can't help its age).

If the monitor I choose doesn't swivel or is too low (my chair is quite a bit lower than the desk), I'll make it level, and align myself with it, no biggie.

Btw some of the posts here said the "BF" version had color issues, but the "B" version has less response time. Can anyone clear that up?

For the color issues? Possibly.

But there are a bunch of 940BF reviews floating around, only problem seems to be finding one for sale in the US. Nothing on pricewatch, and NewEgg is only carrying the 940B atm.

I just received the 940BF in the mail last week from ncix.com. See my comments and pictures in the thread 'Samsung 940BF? (NOT 940B)'.

Back