Apple Announces Updated Mac Pro With M2 Ultra

you can look at a vast array of them:
https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/sydney/look-development-artist-all-levels/391/32600788688

Layout artist:
https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/mumbai/layout-artist-all-levels/391/40331291824
  • Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required. Knowledge of Nuke is a plus.

The Layout Artist will create camera moves and rough blocking animation within a digital environment.

Rigger :

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/...acter-technical-artist-rigger/391/40840789488
  • Working knowledge of Linux, Perforce, Linear Algebra
It is quite recent for Maya to even run native on Apple silicon I think.
Disney has a huge fleet of the 2019 studios which were all still Intel's and are by all accounts dated.
I would assume that jumping from them to the new units would be a big deal.
But that is why the Apple announcement had this note:
1685999275073.png

With up to 192GB of unified memory, the new Mac Pro with Apple silicon can do things that were simply not possible before, like render complex scenes with massive geometry and textures. (Disney Moana scene © Walt Disney Animation)

Reactions: erek
like this
Disney has a huge fleet of the 2019 studios which were all still Intel's and are by all accounts dated.
Yes but there a giant amount of people not working on the 3d-sfx stuff at Disney (the editors for example are probably on mac, graders, sounds), who would be mostly on MAC.

The 2019 Mac Pro supported up to 1.5 TB memory. I doubt that the new Mac Studio/Pro with its support of 192 GB memory, no matter how fast, can do everything the Intel Mac can do. Sure, some workloads will be much faster but some will be much slower. The Mac Studio I can see a use for; the Mac Pro, not so much. It's not a complete replacement for what came before, IMO (and y'all know how much I like Apple).

The 2019 Mac Pro supported up to 1.5 TB memory. I doubt that the new Mac Studio/Pro with its support of 192 GB memory, no matter how fast, can do everything the Intel Mac can do. Sure, some workloads will be much faster but some will be much slower. The Mac Studio I can see a use for; the Mac Pro, not so much. It's not a complete replacement for what came before, IMO (and y'all know how much I like Apple).
For the type of work most buying these things for - the 192GB shared is more useful than ~TB of normal RAM. Keep in mind that 192GB of ram on this system means you get that much for the GPU as well. The functional VRAM is more important for a lot of these workloads.

For the type of work most buying these things for - the 192GB shared is more useful than ~TB of normal RAM. Keep in mind that 192GB of ram on this system means you get that much for the GPU as well. The functional VRAM is more important for a lot of these workloads.
Sure, I realize that. For me, the Studio would be a perfect replacement for the Intel Mac Pro, if I had the 2019 version, as I’m in video editing. For ML, it’s a downgrade. Not to mention that the Intel version could have Linux installed bare metal whereas the M{x} chips don’t have full native ARM support.

Sure, I realize that. For me, the Studio would be a perfect replacement for the Intel Mac Pro, if I had the 2019 version, as I’m in video editing. For ML, it’s a downgrade. Not to mention that the Intel version could have Linux installed bare metal whereas the M{x} chips don’t have full native ARM support.
I'm running Debian decently hassle free via Parallels on my M2 Max MacBook Pro. No, there isn't full native ARM support with many packages, but it is what it is. Although most standard x86_64 binaries will run just fine if you deal with Rosetta.

Windows 11 ARM is even easier since it has the built in x86->ARM stuff going on, but it's a beta OS for sure. Can't wait for it to be matched up with normal retail.

I wonder if the wheels still cost $700!

NVM, I see that it's a $400 option when ordering. Wow what a bargain!
🙃

PCIe 4?

If they had a chip twice the size, hell even at that size where else can you get 100+ GB of Vram outside of renting nV cloud?

It can ingest 24 4k streams? This is why I got out of TV, it all just got way too easy.

It feels like a stop gap for an M3 super chip next year. Its enough to get peripheral makers juices flowing.

No it isn't. Ever since they announced ARM everyone should have known the entire line-up was going there. Just like the powerpc -> intel transition.

Yes it is, I'm not talking about the ARM move. Soldered Ram? Really? This is just a Mac Studio with expandable slots.
Totally knew it was coming, but not quite what I hoped for.

The RAM limitations (and serious questions on compatibility for the PCIE side) means very limited AI/ML workloads. This is truly the be-all/end-all of video editing workstations, if your video streams are supported in with the silicon-based accelerators (or you have a compatible PCIE card for it from Blackmagic/etc). 192G of unified memory is interesting for some things, but as the neural net working sets grow it won't be enough (hence why folks are chaining so many of the new cards from Nvidia and company) - and you can't expand it. I know quite a few places that have looked into and fiddled with studios in racks for density on unified compute/gpu for some of that, but they're starting to run into the limits of RAM on those - and this won't help significantly. Doesn't fit my workload needs either - I don't do enough video to justify it, it doesn't have enough storage capacity to be a fun RISC server (and lack of 3rd party OS options is a hamper there too), it's an uber editing machine. Looks good for that though!

The RAM limitations (and serious questions on compatibility for the PCIE side) means very limited AI/ML workloads. This is truly the be-all/end-all of video editing workstations, if your video streams are supported in with the silicon-based accelerators (or you have a compatible PCIE card for it from Blackmagic/etc). 192G of unified memory is interesting for some things, but as the neural net working sets grow it won't be enough (hence why folks are chaining so many of the new cards from Nvidia and company) - and you can't expand it. I know quite a few places that have looked into and fiddled with studios in racks for density on unified compute/gpu for some of that, but they're starting to run into the limits of RAM on those - and this won't help significantly. Doesn't fit my workload needs either - I don't do enough video to justify it, it doesn't have enough storage capacity to be a fun RISC server (and lack of 3rd party OS options is a hamper there too), it's an uber editing machine. Looks good for that though!
I suspect Apple is just being pragmatic — it can't keep selling a four-year-old system just because there are some situations where the extra memory will be useful. Better to get something out now than to wait until there's enough RAM to completely satisfy the machine learning crowd. I just hope the M3 Ultra (or ideally, an M3 Extreme) significantly boosts the RAM ceiling.

I suspect Apple is just being pragmatic — it can't keep selling a four-year-old system just because there are some situations where the extra memory will be useful. Better to get something out now than to wait until there's enough RAM to completely satisfy the machine learning crowd. I just hope the M3 Ultra (or ideally, an M3 Extreme) significantly boosts the RAM ceiling.
Agreed. TBH if this had expandable ram (even tiered between SoC and off-chip), I'd be starting to think my way through it - need to check on BSD support for M1/2 though :D

For AI you'd genuinely be better off with an Ampere Altra running Fedora or Ubuntu with the Nvidia card of your choice stuffed into it, or even a Raptor Computing Blackbird running Power9. Nvidia drivers work fine on both, albeit only for CUDA/OpenCL on the ppc64le side. I also have questions about Apple's PCIe implementation - to my knowledge eGPU support wasn't implemented because of an M1 bug with memory-mapped I/O in ranges GPUs heavily use, which would have required altering aspects of the L2 cache to properly fix. In any case, I would not drop a minimum of seven grand to find out the answers...

One would hope the Mac Pro will down the road get upgradeable Apple GPU cards of some sort, or we just go back to the co-processor type days w/ drop in cards when the M3 stuff comes out. Apple would likely get a lot of love if they did that, although it's highly unlikely.

For AI you'd genuinely be better off with an Ampere Altra running Fedora or Ubuntu with the Nvidia card of your choice stuffed into it, or even a Raptor Computing Blackbird running Power9. Nvidia drivers work fine on both, albeit only for CUDA/OpenCL on the ppc64le side. I also have questions about Apple's PCIe implementation - to my knowledge eGPU support wasn't implemented because of an M1 bug with memory-mapped I/O in ranges GPUs heavily use, which would have required altering aspects of the L2 cache to properly fix. In any case, I would not drop a minimum of seven grand to find out the answers...
Agreed entirely. I do want a blackbird personally - but I’m praying they build a power10 model soon. And I’d slap an AMD GPU I. For graphics and then nvidia for the ai work.

Iirc the Altra is only rack mount right?

Agreed entirely. I do want a blackbird personally - but I’m praying they build a power10 model soon. And I’d slap an AMD GPU I. For graphics and then nvidia for the ai work.

Iirc the Altra is only rack mount right?
No, I'm pretty sure you can throw it into a stock standard ATX case. See here. I've got an eight core Power9 in a Blackbird and the 64 core Altra still tempts me. The Blackbird has a 16x PCIe4 slot and an 8x as well - I am tempted to delegate the 16x to an Nvidia card, then perform some adapter fu and plug my Radeon into the lower 8x slot by way of a 16x adapter mounted in the case. Maybe next year. I will say that getting Quake II RTX running on the Radeon RX 6600 on Power9 was quite satisfying!

FYI Raptor has come out and said they won't make a Power10 solution due to IBM relying on closed source firmware for several components. It would compromise one of their founding principles, and would end up being an absolutely gigantic single socket in an EATX board. There are rumors about where they'll go next, and they've indicated they'll have news next year. Some things they've thrown around suggest they'll be moving on to LibreSOC as the foundation for those efforts - I'll be watching with interest.

No, I'm pretty sure you can throw it into a stock standard ATX case. See here. I've got an eight core Power9 in a Blackbird and the 64 core Altra still tempts me. The Blackbird has a 16x PCIe4 slot and an 8x as well - I am tempted to delegate the 16x to an Nvidia card, then perform some adapter fu and plug my Radeon into the lower 8x slot by way of a 16x adapter mounted in the case. Maybe next year. I will say that getting Quake II RTX running on the Radeon RX 6600 on Power9 was quite satisfying!

FYI Raptor has come out and said they won't make a Power10 solution due to IBM relying on closed source firmware for several components. It would compromise one of their founding principles, and would end up being an absolutely gigantic single socket in an EATX board. There are rumors about where they'll go next, and they've indicated they'll have news next year. Some things they've thrown around suggest they'll be moving on to LibreSOC as the foundation for those efforts - I'll be watching with interest.
Neat. Now if I only had a use for a mega-ARM server :p Just like if I only had a use for a Power9 box. How do you like the Blackbird? I'd be tempted to go with the full Talos board (just for the extra slots - make it a combined workstation and mega storage server, given the case it would have to go in), but I might also be insane.

And huh, didn't know that about Power10. Valid point on the size - those suckers are HUGE - but I'd still hoped that it would show up. I feel weird buying a 7 year old architecture and processor. Did some reading on it - fascinating issues there, including the fact that it's only high-end parts (and looks likely to stay that way - Power is a shrinking market, after all.)

Reactions: Halon
like this
PCIe 4?

If they had a chip twice the size, hell even at that size where else can you get 100+ GB of Vram outside of renting nV cloud?

It can ingest 24 4k streams? This is why I got out of TV, it all just got way too easy.

It feels like a stop gap for an M3 super chip next year. Its enough to get peripheral makers juices flowing.
TSMC isn't even confident in its ability to meet the demand for the iPhone 15 and iPad Pro with the M3 refresh until some time in mid-2025, forget about the Macbook Pro lineup and the Mac Pro or Studio options.
Seriously the N3 node is boning Apple hard right now, their design relied on the promised TSMC node improvements and TSMC isn't delivering.

Neat. Now if I only had a use for a mega-ARM server :p Just like if I only had a use for a Power9 box. How do you like the Blackbird? I'd be tempted to go with the full Talos board (just for the extra slots - make it a combined workstation and mega storage server, given the case it would have to go in), but I might also be insane.

And huh, didn't know that about Power10. Valid point on the size - those suckers are HUGE - but I'd still hoped that it would show up. I feel weird buying a 7 year old architecture and processor. Did some reading on it - fascinating issues there, including the fact that it's only high-end parts (and looks likely to stay that way - Power is a shrinking market, after all.)
I bought it for several reasons - flush with pandemic cash, curious about non-x86 desktop architectures, had a lingering soft spot for PowerPC, and wanted to see what it was like to buy a machine that had nowhere to go but *nix I installed myself. It’s been a great educational experience - I’ve learned a ton about navigating build systems to insert optimizations, and that the current status of Linux makes it possible to use even outré hardware as a competent desktop. It has its issues - SIMD is relatively weak, video support always trails the leading edge, and sometimes you take a gamble and force SIMD translation in GCC to coax more performance out. But I love it, and predict I’ll be running this as a Linux desktop daily driver for years before I put it to work as a quintessential Server in the Corner until it dies of old age.

LibreSOC may turn the tide on broader adoption a bit. We will see.

TSMC isn't even confident in its ability to meet the demand for the iPhone 15 and iPad Pro with the M3 refresh until some time in mid-2025, forget about the Macbook Pro lineup and the Mac Pro or Studio options.
Seriously the N3 node is boning Apple hard right now, their design relied on the promised TSMC node improvements and TSMC isn't delivering.
I don't think we've seen anything official from TSMC on this front, so I wouldn't read too much into the reported problems just yet. I won't be shocked if iPhone 15 supplies are tight, and if we don't see most M3 Macs until 2024. But I also don't want to proclaim doom and gloom because of sketchy rumors from sites like DigiTimes.

I don't think we've seen anything official from TSMC on this front, so I wouldn't read too much into the reported problems just yet. I won't be shocked if iPhone 15 supplies are tight, and if we don't see most M3 Macs until 2024. But I also don't want to proclaim doom and gloom because of sketchy rumors from sites like DigiTimes.
TSMC already had to apologize to their board because they yields are so bad they are only charging Apple per successful chip not per wafer as per their normal pricing.

TSMC won’t give numbers but estimates put it around 55% back in April of this year, when they were making the A17 chips.

If you don’t want to go by rumour sites then there the official statements from TSMC about the shortcomings of their NXE 3600D units currently on the 3N production floor and that their current problems will be solved by replacing them with the new NXE 3800E. What they don’t mention though is ASML is completely booked by Intel for those units for the 18A lineup and ASML likely won’t be delivering those NXE 3800’s to TSMC until 2025 not the 2024 they had originally hoped.

My guess is Apple is only making this new Mac Pro because of a government contract needing it somewhere. I just can't imagine anyone buying this thing on the consumer/prosumer side.

It's really likely that the primary motivator is to be done with intel. Which is enough reason given it is apple.

The sales figures for the Microsoft Hololense 2 beg to differ.
There is a huge calling for AR devices in many design and engineering fields they can greatly improve workflows and in Hololense's case, its $3500 price tag is an easy-selling feature for what it offers those who need it.

That said it's not a toy, and certainly not a consumer or even prosumer device.

The problem with that take is that it doesn't look like it is a professional device either. And even if the hardware is good, how broad can the audience be that will roll their own software that doesn't exist yet, and drag their entire workflow into the proprietary apple ecosystem?

The massive render farms are of course a custom Linux cluster, but the day-to-day workstations are Mac.
Apple has also been in talks with Disney for over a year about taking over the workload from Nvidia for their Virtual Studios (The sets they use for the Mandalorian and such)
Apple has put in the work with Epic to get the necessary acceleration tools into the Apple silicon or into the Unreal Engine, they have the software running natively on their silicon, and now they have the commercially available hardware to do it.
Pair that with the upcoming AR headset so production crews can have virtual cast members "on set" while they are setting up and planning and it all sort of makes sense.

This is one of only a couple of things I can think of that might do that dance of dragging the whole workflow/stack with them to get the tool. It might be very capable for pre-vis/during-vis (whatever they are calling that stuff for virtual direction/production visualization while recording at this point).

But by definition, any industry sufficiently large is going to reap a lot of benefit by going with the less expensive hardware. So even if apple can bring some niche price competition, as a whole they tend to blow up the math with the cost to rank and file people.

Beyond that, I think for a lot of the potential color grading audience and such, the mac studio seems to keep up unless you really need the IO.

TSMC already had to apologize to their board because they yields are so bad they are only charging Apple per successful chip not per wafer as per their normal pricing.

TSMC won’t give numbers but estimates put it around 55% back in April of this year, when they were making the A17 chips.

If you don’t want to go by rumour sites then there the official statements from TSMC about the shortcomings of their NXE 3600D units currently on the 3N production floor and that their current problems will be solved by replacing them with the new NXE 3800E. What they don’t mention though is ASML is completely booked by Intel for those units for the 18A lineup and ASML likely won’t be delivering those NXE 3800’s to TSMC until 2025 not the 2024 they had originally hoped.
Fair enough — still, I'd like to see how this pans out. Even the iPhone 14 Pro production delays didn't last long in practice.

This is one of only a couple of things I can think of that might do that dance of dragging the whole workflow/stack with them to get the tool. It might be very capable for pre-vis/during-vis (whatever they are calling that stuff for virtual direction/production visualization while recording at this point).

But by definition, any industry sufficiently large is going to reap a lot of benefit by going with the less expensive hardware. So even if apple can bring some niche price competition, as a whole they tend to blow up the math with the cost to rank and file people.

Beyond that, I think for a lot of the potential color grading audience and such, the mac studio seems to keep up unless you really need the IO.
Based on the things I have seen so far from the various behind-the-scenes documentaries on the technology they are currently using Lenovo Threadripper systems with multiple NVLinked workstation GPUs and for the AR aspect they have multiple people with multiple tablets just sort of holding them up and wandering around that way, looks awkward AF.
Really based on the costs of the P620 series, the Nvidia workstation GPUs, and the NVLinks paired up with all the tablets which are already running some proprietary and probably expensive as all-heck software licenses I'm pretty sure that any cost differences between their existing setup, and Apple's proposed one would be marginal at worst.
And given the costs associated with running one of those sites if buying 10 per stage saved a total of 1h per week then it pays for itself in a few short months.

I don't think the op-ed says much that we don't already know, and it's difficult to say just how much the sacrifices will truly impact performance in some cases. The Mac Pro might be limited to 192GB of RAM, but it's not going to bottleneck as badly as some workstations might.

On the WVFRM podcast, there was some interesting speculation: this might be to the Mac Pro what the MacBook Air M1 was to the M2 version. That is, it's a quick-and-dirty update to make sure that there's something on the market while the true sequel is in development. I'm still not expecting dedicated GPU support, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a better-optimized chassis, an M3 Extreme with tons more RAM, you get the idea.

As it stands, I like that the Mac Studio exists if you want the power but know you don't need PCIe cards.

My guess is the lack of GPU support would largely be because of lack of driver support from both AMD and Nvidia. Since Apple doesn't even want to deal with third party GPU's anymore, the driver support is going to go to the gutter since we're on ARM now.

like this
My guess is the lack of GPU support would largely be because of lack of driver support from both AMD and Nvidia. Since Apple doesn't even want to deal with third party GPU's anymore, the driver support is going to go to the gutter since we're on ARM now.
Apple silicon apparently can’t even talk to GPUs outside the SoC

like this
Apple silicon apparently can’t even talk to GPUs outside the SoC
From what I've heard - and I may be getting something at least a little wrong, as I'm going on some hearsay - it's a bug in common with the Raspberry Pi 4(!), where the memory controller can't reliably perform MMIO to memory ranges that non-integrated video heavily leverages. I'm not sure if this is directly connected to the bug that bit the Synquacer Socionext Developerbox a while ago, but that's another ARM machine with hobbled PCIe compatibility (From what I remember that one's only certified to use a GeForce GT 710 via nouveau with a source patch applied, and no hardware 3D). M1's problem can't be cleanly worked around without a silicon fix - Jeff Geerling's done a lot of investigation on the Pi side, and without rearchitecting the only potential workarounds involve kernel hacking too ugly and unreliable to ever make it into the kernel source tree. I'd be interested to know how the AS Mac Pro fares when the Asahi Linux devs get their hands on one - maybe I'll start following Hector Martin over on Mastodon soon.

It bears mentioning that the Ampere Altra is not affected by this, nor are several aarch64 SoCs. Power9 also has a pretty hassle-free PCIe4 implementation. Marketing and mindshare aside, Apple does not have anything like a monopoly on performant non-x86 machines outside of the server room.

Last edited:
No, because anyone sitting in a desk doing work all day on a computer isn't going to want to deal with wearing goggles. It just adds to the strain.

I'm sure the goggles will sell, but they'll be a novelty at best to most people who buy them. They'll end up like all the Nvidia 3D vision glasses and setups I see laying around all day.

But yes, I largely see these things as a product being mostly produced for a massive contract for someone who can actually use them. Apple is just selling them to normal consumers as a bonus.
Yeah Apple tends to do a lot of research on anything they launch. They know their market very very well and they have treasure troves of data to back that up. I don’t think they have released a product into a vacuum in a very long time, the AR goggles being a noticeable exception because it’s completely new for them. So if they are launching these Mac Pro’s they already know who they are selling too and exactly what they want them for.

I'm running Debian decently hassle free via Parallels on my M2 Max MacBook Pro. No, there isn't full native ARM support with many packages, but it is what it is. Although most standard x86_64 binaries will run just fine if you deal with Rosetta.

Windows 11 ARM is even easier since it has the built in x86->ARM stuff going on, but it's a beta OS for sure. Can't wait for it to be matched up with normal retail.
I have accounting running that now on some M1 based MBP’s and Win 11 ARM in Parallels is actually running the software I needed them too.
I am honestly surprised because getting their software working in Win 10 (which is what they were all using) was hard enough, but fuck me sideways if it didn’t just spin up in 11 ARM with only 2 very minor registry tweaks for ODBC compatibility.
I’m honestly mad at how well it went because I was certain it was going to go poorly. And it went so well the new CFO put the whole department on Apple and they are not exactly happy about that.

From what I've heard - and I may be getting something at least a little wrong, as I'm going on some hearsay - it's a bug in common with the Raspberry Pi 4(!), where the memory controller can't reliably perform MMIO to memory ranges that non-integrated video heavily leverages. I'm not sure if this is directly connected to the bug that bit the Synquacer Socionext Developerbox a while ago, but that's another ARM machine with hobbled PCIe compatibility (From what I remember that one's only certified to use a GeForce GT 710 via nouveau with a source patch applied, and no hardware 3D). M1's problem can't be cleanly worked around without a silicon fix - Jeff Geerling's done a lot of investigation on the Pi side, and without rearchitecting the only potential workarounds involve kernel hacking too ugly and unreliable to ever make it into the kernel source tree. I'd be interested to know how the AS Mac Pro fares when the Asahi Linux devs get their hands on one - maybe I'll start following Hector Martin over on Mastodon soon.

It bears mentioning that the Ampere Altra is not affected by this, nor are several aarch64 SoCs. Power9 also has a pretty hassle-free PCIe4 implementation. Marketing and mindshare aside, Apple does not have anything like a monopoly on performant non-x86 machines outside of the server room.
I don’t know about “bug” exactly, but ARMv8 is designed for SoC first and foremost and externals aren’t really on that menu.
ARMv9 makes progress in that space and the Neoverse stuff used by Ampere, Google, and NVidia was designed with PCIe in mind. Supposedly the Cortex-X1 stuff doesn’t either but it was designed to be used as a PCIE device so not sure if it applies here.

But Apples Silicon is still very heavily v8 based, so PCIe support there is limited to some specific use cases and anything beyond that is going to be something Apple added specifically.

Reactions: Halon
like this

Looks like you're right - it's a mess, and a broken PCIE root complex that many have implemented the same as how Broadcom did it on the Pi. I spent the last half hour or so digging through a lot of the details for fun - it's whacky as shit. Short answer - Radeon cards MIGHT work with a shit-ton of fiddling - on Linux or BSD (most likely linux). Poorly. Nvidia is right out with the closed source drivers, and the open source ones have massive limitations as you noted, and it's gonna be buggy as hell for a very long time until they either hack in fixes or just wait for a new generation of silicon.

Apple don't have to justify it or figure it out, 3rd party add-in board people will figure it out.

Looks like you're right - it's a mess, and a broken PCIE root complex that many have implemented the same as how Broadcom did it on the Pi. I spent the last half hour or so digging through a lot of the details for fun - it's whacky as shit. Short answer - Radeon cards MIGHT work with a shit-ton of fiddling - on Linux or BSD (most likely linux). Poorly. Nvidia is right out with the closed source drivers, and the open source ones have massive limitations as you noted, and it's gonna be buggy as hell for a very long time until they either hack in fixes or just wait for a new generation of silicon.
This is also before you start digging into the weeds of kernel page sizes on non-x86 architectures, where ppc64le since Power8 or so has supported 4KB and 64KB kernel sizes, and most OSes on the architecture only officially support the 64KB sizes. That wasn't a problem for the pre-GCN radeon driver, but it took years for amdgpu to properly manage the gap. Heck, RDNA2 hardware didn't work on ppc64le until kernel 6.1 or so, and there was an oogy regression on Navi/RDNA1 hardware until recently too. And Apple Silicon only(?) works with 16KB kernel sizes, which could also throw a wrench into drivers. Nouveau flat out doesn't work on non-4KB kernel page sizes and its maintainers don't seem fussed to do anything about it yet. At least Intel's fixing it with the xe driver, though that hasn't been mainlined and may never support the HuC microcontroller for Alchemist parts, crippling its video encoding capabilities.

Hardware is fun! I'm probably going to migrate my Blackbird over to Chimera whenever that lands, as the developer's a sane person who prefers supporting 4KB page sizes across as much hardware as possible...

This is also before you start digging into the weeds of kernel page sizes on non-x86 architectures, where ppc64le since Power8 or so has supported 4KB and 64KB kernel sizes, and most OSes on the architecture only officially support the 64KB sizes. That wasn't a problem for the pre-GCN radeon driver, but it took years for amdgpu to properly manage the gap. Heck, RDNA2 hardware didn't work on ppc64le until kernel 6.1 or so, and there was an oogy regression on Navi/RDNA1 hardware until recently too. And Apple Silicon only(?) works with 16KB kernel sizes, which could also throw a wrench into drivers. Nouveau flat out doesn't work on non-4KB kernel page sizes and its maintainers don't seem fussed to do anything about it yet. At least Intel's fixing it with the xe driver, though that hasn't been mainlined and may never support the HuC microcontroller for Alchemist parts, crippling its video encoding capabilities.

Hardware is fun! I'm probably going to migrate my Blackbird over to Chimera whenever that lands, as the developer's a sane person who prefers supporting 4KB page sizes across as much hardware as possible...
Chimera?

I’ll admit you have me debating now which would be most useful as a non-x86 workstation, the Power9 box or an Altra. I think Power9, but I’m not positive. Also a mental debate on running FreeBSD or Linux on them. 😂.

That being said, my workstation needs at home tend to be either super heavy lifting with video and VMs (which my Threadripper handles - or my x299 box), or all terminals and web browsers. Vms on power9 won’t do me any good (or arm), and the rest can be handled by, well, anything 😂

Chimera?

I’ll admit you have me debating now which would be most useful as a non-x86 workstation, the Power9 box or an Altra. I think Power9, but I’m not positive. Also a mental debate on running FreeBSD or Linux on them. 😂.

That being said, my workstation needs at home tend to be either super heavy lifting with video and VMs (which my Threadripper handles - or my x299 box), or all terminals and web browsers. Vms on power9 won’t do me any good (or arm), and the rest can be handled by, well, anything 😂
Chimera is a non-GNU Linux spearheaded by the former developer of Void Linux on ppc64le, intended for aarch64, ppc64le, x86_64, and RISC-V. It's a Linux kernel and FreeBSD userland, and by all accounts it's coming together pretty well. I'm looking forward to jumping to it once it reaches beta - more info is here.

I'm not sure which I'd recommend for non-x86 workstations at this point - aarch64 has momentum and Altra's cheaper, and more power-efficient, but the PCIe root complex issue even seems to affect that to some extent. If you've got an existing x86 configuration that handles your needs I'd stick to that. Though I will say that if I could get my hands on that Sifive Hifive Unmatched from a couple years back, I'd be a happy camper for my tinkering needs...

Back