Apple Fines Companies $50M For Leaks

HardOCP News

[H] News
If Apple leaks your nude photos, you get zilch. A company leaks a blurry picture of the next iPhone / iPad, it's a $50 million fine.

If your company leaks a product, or starts boasting about producing components for a future iOS device, then you'll be asked to pay a fine of no less than $50 million. That's chump change for a company like Samsung, but a fortune for smaller outfits that may produce only one or two small pieces.

Exactly. Since when do corporations get to fine people?

Everyday. This is in contracts. You miss a delivery date, you pay a fine, you deliver too early, you get a fine. You cause a delay that causes another company to have a issue meeting their deadline you pay their fines as well.

Apple isn't fining the person but the company the person works for ... if Apple has a contract with a company that specifies this penalty and the company signs the contract then it is perfectly legal ... the lesson here is that you have to decide if doing business with a devil is really worth it ... many companies (not just Apple) have severe penalty clauses in their contracts ... caveat emptor (decide if you really can afford to do business with a company like that BEFORE you sign the contract) ;)

I'd expect that most people deal with companies that issue fines. Late fees and returned payment fees are examples of fines by a company that most people are familiar with.

breaching a NDA is bad even for me in my little company i work for. These things are taken seriously.

Everyday. This is in contracts. You miss a delivery date, you pay a fine, you deliver too early, you get a fine. You cause a delay that causes another company to have a issue meeting their deadline you pay their fines as well.

Yup SLAs are very real.

sent GT's share price tumbling, and now it needs the court's help to save it from total collapse
Yeah this isn't anywhere as bad as having the government bail out the auto industry, or the airlines industry or...

This is on the low level of fining someone for a negative review. Obviously intended to cover up fraud rather than any sort of trade secret.

So this applies to someone they have a contract with? I could see them putting those terms in the contract. But I must assume that if you have no contract with them, their power to fine you for something would be non existent?

So this applies to someone they have a contract with? I could see them putting those terms in the contract. But I must assume that if you have no contract with them, their power to fine you for something would be non existent?

This is about the Non Disclosure Agreements they have with ALL their suppliers ... the maker of the sapphire glass is suing to be released from their NDA as part of their bankrupcy so they can try and obtain new business ... this has nothing to do with users or service providers to Apple

Except, at least in contracts I've seen, they have reasonable limits. What good does it do you to bankrupt one of your suppliers.

How is Apple benefiting from bankrupting GT? Do they plan to buy them cheap now? Or maybe bankrupting GT keeps other companies from being able to get sapphire glass for their phones.

This case is going to be huge in the tech world as it is going to set a lot of new precedents. This type of agreement is SOP for any major consumer electronics company with their suppliers.

bankrupting GT keeps other companies from being able to get sapphire glass for their phones.

This

This case is going to be huge in the tech world as it is going to set a lot of new precedents. This type of agreement is SOP for any major consumer electronics company with their suppliers.

That assumes that the judge will vacate the NDA they have with Apple ... he might find another solution ... I would say the jury is still out (no pun intended) on how significant this case might be ... we need to see where the judge comes down on this (and depending on how he rules) whether it is appealed

Back