Apple's iPhone 5 Media Event

Mr. Miyagi

2[H]4U
Oe5Nb.jpg

As many of you know, Apple is predicted to announce the much anticipated iPhone 5 tomorrow, September 12th.

07:00AM - Hawaii

09:00AM - Alaska

10:00AM - Pacific

11:00AM - Mountain

12:00PM - Central

01:00PM - Eastern

02:00PM - São Paulo

06:00PM - London

07:00PM - Paris

Liveblog
Engadget
The Verge
Ars Technica
MacWorld

Rumors
Macrumors
The Verge
Engadget

Nice post. Tomorrow will let me know if I'm sticking with Apple or going over to the droid.

Nice post. Tomorrow will let me know if I'm sticking with Apple or going over to the droid.

I used Androids since they were virtually available on ATT and someone gave me an iPhone 4 (non-S) about 6 weeks ago to shut me up about the Galaxy line.

I uh... I sold my desktop and laptop and bought an iMac and an iPad. Apple stuff is *that* damn good.

Today's the day. Should be interesting to see what Apple pull out of their hat on this one...

watching....

it's official, it's called the iPhone 5 lol

Know what I like about it, the hand thing, Apple is right, I don't want a tablet phone, if I want a tablet, I'll buy a tablet, I like a phone that is phone sized and fits in your hand and pocket well, I hate how big phones are getting from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Going to transfer it here:
Thank you, Brent!

Finally, someone on the Internet that has some sense.

I do not know why people want a large smartphone and large 5-inch+ screens.

Why not just get a tablet?

It negates any notion of portability and mobility if it's supposed to be just a smartphone that fits in your hand.

Also...
SINGLE CHIP AND SINGLE RADIO with Dynamic antenna.

GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA and LTE!
HSPA+ is 21Mbps, DC-HSDPA is 42Mbps, and LTE is a max of 100.

Just skimmed the live blog... they still haven't talked about what's under the hood of the iPhone 5, whether they've made a new A series chip for it (or used the iPad 3's) and LTE etc.

EDIT: NM, there was a flurry of updates after I refreshed the page... lol.

Just skimmed the live blog... they still haven't talked about what's under the hood of the iPhone 5, whether they've made a new A series chip for it (or used the iPad 3's) and LTE etc.

EDIT: NM, there was a flurry of updates after I refreshed the page... lol.

A6 "twice" the performance of A5

uh oh....EA is out

Watching a live blog right now.

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't care that it is thinner. I never had a problem with the iPhone 4 depth. I don't want it to feel like it could break in my pocket.

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't care that it is thinner. I never had a problem with the iPhone 4 depth. I don't want it to feel like it could break in my pocket.

Only thing that will be capable of breaking on it is probably going to be the screen. It's probably going to feel like an aluminum brick (in so far as density, and inability to flex. Not in so far as weight.) The 5 has an aluminum back, the 4 and 4S don't. That's what I'm basing my assertion on. It will definitely be more rigid, and less flexible (which is a good thing) as a result. My guess is that Apple learned from the 4 and 4S as well, so they probably drop tested this one more. I'm guessing the glass will probably be more resilient to shattering from being dropped. Probably more scratch resistant as well.

Now the only question is, have they finally decided to make a 128GB model? If so, I want one.

EDIT: Damn, still no 128GB version... same sizes as the 4S.

Last edited:

agreed....can't believe that started out with that...

Im I the only one who hates the longer screen? If they were going to make it bigger, I would hope they would go with the same form factor as the bigger android phones. Other than that, theres not much that im excited about. I'll probably stick with my 4s and do a prepaid plan to save some money.

Im I the only one who hates the longer screen? If they were going to make it bigger, I would hope they would go with the same form factor as the bigger android phones. Other than that, theres not much that im excited about. I'll probably stick with my 4s and do a prepaid plan to save some money.

Taller means in widescreen mode videos are wider, closer to 16:9, also better for gaming.

the presentation is kind of weak so far. Nothing jaw dropping.. kind of disappointing so far.

Well it has to do with what Apple considers to be core principles of the phone. The iPhone has maintained the same width, because they designed the phone to be held and operated with one hand. This is done by gripping the phone with the fingers and operated with the thumb. As such, for average sized hands, having a wider phone is suboptimal. You may disagree with that design mantra, but they made those design decisions for a reason, it wasn't arbitrary. As such, the only way to get a bigger screen was simply to make it taller.

But other than that, you're not interested in the single chip every band on the planet? Not interested in double the processing power? Not interested in the better camera? New operating system (okay in fairness that will come to every other phone)? Better Wi-Fi? Decrease in thickness? Lighter weight? Longer battery life? Better GPS? Well sure, then you're right, might as well stay with the same phone if you don't want/need any of those things. But non-hyperbolically speaking, they upgraded everything about the phone. Not sure how they could please you.

Taller means in widescreen mode videos are wider, closer to 16:9, also better for gaming.

Well to be specific, the new display is 16x9.

the presentation is kind of weak so far. Nothing jaw dropping.. kind of disappointing so far.

What could they do to interest you? They've made everything about their current product better in almost every conceivable dimension. Not sure if any product launch would impress you.

I am glad they are releasing it with iO6. I heard rumors otherwise. Also, they are introducing it with both white and black models. I have been dying for a white iPhone ever since I got my 3GS.

Can anyone confirm when pre-orders begin? I read Friday morning.

I am glad they are releasing it with iO6. I heard rumors otherwise. Also, they are introducing it with both white and black models. I have been dying for a white iPhone ever since I got my 3GS.

Can anyone confirm when pre-orders begin? I read Friday morning.

Pre-orders start on Friday the 14th. Shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

I wish the touch had GPS and 4G. Basically a phone without the phone.

Im I the only one who hates the longer screen?
I like the idea that it's 16:9, but I don't really know why I would care about that. It satisfies some portion of my brain that likes standard aspect ratios.

Well, to be "exact".....

16 / 9 = 1.777777778

1136 / 640 = 1.775

Not quite the same.....but close.... ;)

Fair enough, but I was using their language. Because of the fact that their resolution doesn't fit any HD resolution, I would imagine that down sized 720p and 1080p content will probably still fill every pixel.

I wish the touch had GPS and 4G. Basically a phone without the phone.

Well, it now has GPS, so that's 50% of your wish list. Not sure about the 4G though. I would be interesting to see if that's added in, it would be very similar to the iPad in that respect.

Well, it now has GPS, so that's 50% of your wish list. Not sure about the 4G though. I would be interesting to see if that's added in, it would be very similar to the iPad in that respect.

I have not seen any mention of GPS in the live blogs i'm following.....

I currently have the 4s

Question: Will I be getting the 5?

Answer: Negative.

I'm not sure what my next phone will be, if I decide to go Apple again, I'd wait for the "5S", you know there will be one, I always like to wait for at least the second generation of a new phone, the kinks from the first generation are worked out, and with Apple you get all the missing features the first phone shoulda had, in the refresh phone.

But, I'm also contemplating that my next phone may be a Windows 8 phone. I've had Android in the past.

Anyway, my 4s will be just fine till I'm ready to upgrade in a year.

I have the 4s currently, will be placing 2 orders Friday - 1 to replace my 64gb 4s and 1 to replace my wife's 32gb 4. Enough of an upgrade to convince me!

Back