APU Throttling: Is this normal?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

I am new to APU's and did some googling to figure out if my problem was normal, but haven't found much.

My HTPC uses a cheap "hold me over until Kaveri" Richland A4-4000. It's a dual core with stock clock at 3Ghz, turbo up to 3.2Ghz.

Last night I decided to test if my cooling was adequate. I wanted to keep my build cheap, so I used only components I had kicking around. I opted against the boxed heatsink as it looked WAY too wimpy. Instead I used an old bigger copper heatsink that came in the box for my Thuban Phenom II x6 1090T. I figured if this boxed cooler is designed for a 125W TDP CPU, it ought to be able to handle this 65W TDP CPU.

My test:
Monitor status with HWMonitor (for temps) CPUz (for CPU clocks), GPUz (for GPU load) and task manager (for CPU load)

1.) Fire up Prime-95 and start a worker on each core.
2.) Fire up heaven benchmark to load the GPU and the CPU at the same time.

Result:
The CPU started out at 3.2Ghz as expected and crept up toward 60C. As soon as I started the heaven benchmark, I ran into trouble. CPU utilization dropped from 100% to ~72%, and CPU clocks dropped from 3.2Ghz to ~2.2Ghz.

Shit - I thought - my cooling must be insufficient (even though my HTPC is in a very cold room)

I was about to give up and go order a beefier cooler online, when I decided to perform one more test.

This time I ran just the heaven benchmark without any additional CPU loading to see what would happen.

Before the APU even got hot, it clocked the CPU portion down to 2.2Ghz again. So this can't be thermal throttling. Maybe it's TDP throttling?

So I guess my question is, do AMD APU's automatically turn down the frequency of the CPU portion whenever the GPU portion is heavily loaded? Is there no way to load them both fully at the same time?

Is this just how they are designed? Or is there something faulty in my setup.

Much obliged,
Matt

processors adjusts to various Power State on the fly depending on "load". did you turned off power management in bios?

processors adjusts to various Power State on the fly depending on "load". did you turned off power management in bios?

No I did not, is this recommended? What would I gain or lose from this? Which power management setting would make sense to disable (there are lots!)

Thank you!

Zarathustra[H];1040550842 said:
No I did not, is this recommended? What would I gain or lose from this? Which power management setting would make sense to disable (there are lots!)

Thank you!

Since its an htpc don't turn off any power management...

What OS and power profile? I know on my Opteron the default power profile for Windows 8.1 Pro x64 likes to keep the CPU clocks below the base 2.3GHz. With the power profile set to performance the minimum clock is 2.3GHz while up to ~3.1GHz when half of the 16-cores are utilized and 2.6GHz when more than of the half cores are utilized. In a nutshell, it's a combination of BIOS settings, thermals and OS power profile.

Last edited:
Back