APUs - Does anyone know how to disable the built in GPU?

Emmanon

Limp Gawd
I run Ubuntu on my machines. I get strange hardware conflicts between the APU graphics and a discreet GPU. Does anyone know how to turn off the built-in GPU on an A-10 6800k?

In your kernel boot options, do you have "nomodeset"? What is the discrete card? Have you blacklisted any modules or drivers? I had a heck of a time getting a 650Ti going in my 6700 Linux setup until adding "nomodeset" in the grub2 config.

No, I didn't have "nomodeset" in Grub or anything blacklisted. I gave up yesterday with Ubuntu and booted back into Windows 7.

Background: My rigs are dedicated to F@H. I have an i7-2600k build running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS folding on the CPU, a GTX 770, and a GTX 680; no issues. I know how to install the correct Linux drivers to fold on Nvidia GPUs. Could you provide more detail on what modules to disable or Grub flags will "turn off" the APU graphics.

Mine doesn't have an "off" option either, only "prefer PCIE".

The rig in question has an nvidia gpu? It's probably not a conflict between the igpu and dgpu. It tends to be between the nvidia driver and the linux kernel mode setting.

Thanks, that elimates further trouble shooting of the hardware. What or how do I edit the kernel mode settings?

I'm reinstalling Ubuntu right now. I'll let you know, if "nomodeset" works. Regardless, thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I'm an openSUSE user, don't know much about Ubuntu.

Success, I didn't have any problems with the APU this time! The Ubuntu F@H client recognized the GTX 680. It's happily crunching away now.

Thanks again:)

Back