Archival software

Overwind

Weaksauce
Do people here have any particular recommendations or suggestions for software to manage archiving data to DVDs?

I have a fair collection of data (photos, music, video) that regularly grows but existing files are basically never modified. I'd like to be able to archive these things to DVD for backup purposes instead of tying up huge quantities of space on my backup HDD for files that are never altered.

For my purposes, the ideal tool would be something that made essentially incremental backups to DVD, maintained an index of what files were stored where, and, most importantly, simply dropped files onto DVD as is rather than stuffing everything into a proprietary container format.

Right now I'm using self-made utilities to locate files added since the last archival run and determine an optimum bin packing (arranging files to minimize wasted space when using multiple disks), then burning the resulting file lists with Nero. This is rather awkward and I'd prefer something a little more integrated.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I was wondering pretty much the same thing. In my case, I've got 120 - 160GB of information on two drives, one of which rarely changes. I'd like to be able to back everything up to DVD but in a compressed format (since, after all, 160GB is roughly 40 DVDs), and then on a set schedule (say, every week) update that base copy with incremental, compressed backups.

The only solution I've found requires ~2X gigabytes of space for every X gigabytes you want to back up--that's not an option for me, for obvious reasons.

Ideally I'd like to have something that, in that initial backup, creates the files to burn to DVD "on the fly"--like, say, seeing that it'll take 120GB to back things up, so it indexes every 4.5GB or so and copies that to the backup disc.

Surely there's something out there that will do this...!

Back