Are my DVI ports broken?

snowysnowcones

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everybody,
I believe my DVI ports are broken on my Sapphire Radeon X1950GT. I'm using a DVI to VGA adapter to hook it up to my monitor. Unfortunately, when I use one of them, I get semi-transparent white diagonal lines (at about a 65 degree angle) going from the bottom right, moving to the top left. It's most noticeable on a dark background, especially if there's a gradient involved. (On web-pages). The other DVI port gives me slightly blurry text every few letters. I've tried this on both DVI to VGA adapters, and they give me the same result. Are my DVI ports broken?

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e4300
VGA: Sapphire Radeon X1950GT
Motherboard: Biostar T-Force P35
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 Tracer 2 (2x1)gb.
Operating System: Windows Vista 32bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
-Snowy

I always notice this, whenever I use VGA on any LCD panel. You didn't mention what kind of monitor we're talking about here though...

It could be your cable, have you tried wiggling it or replacing it? Also, VGA is generally not very sharp on LCD displays, though I get the feeling you have been using this display on VGA for a while. It could also be your display. Does it lack DVI?

The second problem you describe is typical of using analog to connect to an LCD monitor. The monitor can't achieve a good 1:1 pixel lock. Your first problem sounds more like an noise issue. The solution is to get a monitor with DVI. There's no guarantee that another video card will work any better with your LCD monitor. You could try taking your monitor to a friends house and seeing if it works any better with their PC.

Back