Are these marks on my processor bad news?

Le037

Limp Gawd
A month ago my computer shut down and started beeping. I turned the computer back on after a few minutes and checked the cpu temps and they were around 100C so I shut it down and opened it. The stock heatsink on my i7 920 was very dirty. The thing is I was drunk so when I tried putting it back on after cleaning it I broke one of the legs. I noticed some diagonal marks on the cpu do they mean anything? I don't wanna buy another heatsink if the cpu is already broken. Then again the computer was working fine last time I used it before I shut it down.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's really hard to tell from that picture -- is it burn residue? It could also be heavily caked on dust. 100C is bad news.

From what it looks like, your CPU will be fine. It was probably the cooler that caused the overheating, Just clean all the old TIM off with an alcohol wipe or alcohol and a cotton ball, re apply fresh TIM and re-mount your cooler (if at all possible).

I agree...tough to tell. If it's caked on dust, then a good cleaning will fix it. If it is burn marks, then a good cleaning, followed by a new HSF and fingers-crossed...you could be okay.

depends, how much did it cost ?:)
anyhow, yea if it's cotton you should be good, just spray some isopropyl alcohol on it (usually inside lens cleaning liquid).
and I suggest you check your fan, clean it before reinstall, and check it's RPM through BIOS or a software if you can boot windows.

I use the isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel. Never had any issues, although I do make sure it is completely drive before putting it back in the mobo.

lol no i just took it. yea i guess ill just buy some coffee filters. i still need to buy a new heatsink and im gonna sell this computer but if it was working fine before i shut it down then its most likely not broken right?

looks like the dust marking you get from using a stock intel heatsink, i had the same pattern when i switched mine out for an aftermarket cooler. no worries bout the marks... .but you may want to clean out your case, clean the heatsink, and look into either better ventilation solutions for your case, or even an aftermarket cooler. :)

and i clean thermalpaste with q-tips and isopropyl like everybody else. I like the q tips because it requires less touching... i'm super paranoid about hand grease and static electricity on cpus.

I would have thought q-tips would leave little crap behind. So you dont think the cpu is burnt?

Coffee filters and rubbing alcohol, you can use the Q-tips to put the rub with but finish up with a coffee filter. Built into processors today is a safety switch that if the temperature reaches a certain level (I think it is 100c) will shut the processor down to avoid damage. Clean the processor off and put a new HSF on it and you should be back up and running.

If you are going to spend 30 bucks I'd find a 212+ somewhere if possible. They go used for $20 pretty often also.

Don't think it's possible to kill a CPU like that simply from heat. They shutdown well before any actual damage occurs.

awesome guyz thx for the help im excited now. im gonna sell it and buy a super laptop. cause here in south america i can sell it like an alien spaceship

If you are going to spend 30 bucks I'd find a 212+ somewhere if possible. They go used for $20 pretty often also.

Don't think it's possible to kill a CPU like that simply from heat. They shutdown well before any actual damage occurs.

dunno about the 212+ cuz an evga x58 with the socket closer to the edge + my medium tower case impedes the utilization of many temperature cooling computer big devices for binary input mathematical and logic information operation processing metal chips

awesome guyz thx for the help im excited now. im gonna sell it and buy a super laptop. cause here in south america i can sell it like an alien spaceship

you sell alien spaceships in south america?

I recommend some Artic Clean 2 stage cleaner. It wil break up the most hardcore cement style TIM on the market and leave your chip cover shiny and ready to accept some new love grease.

Back