AS5 help for 4800+

Phixzet

Limp Gawd
Hey guys.

I searched the forum and came up with several hits but none that I could find that covered some of my specific concerns.

I have no idea why AS has a problem giving actual dimensions for the "blob", and refers to bb's and uncooked grains of rice - BOTH of which can have dramatic variations between types on producers... Would it be much of a problem to say put a "blob" about 1/8" x 1/8" x 1/8"? (or better yet - milimeters) And let's remember - rice has 3 different dimensions to it. Ugh.

Ok anyway - I digress. I think I understand that using my 4800+ and Ninja, I should clean my HS and CPU with Isopropyl Alcohol (I could only find 70%)... Put a blob on the CPU, mount the Ninja... Perhaps a TINY tist of the HS just before the final lock down of the HS.

If I'm wrong anywhere above, please correct me.

But what I am nto certain of is precisely what size this should be. You don't want it to be too small - and well since you can't peak, you'll never know... If it is too large - it could cause problems too.

Thanks for any pointers. Looking forward to joining the A64 crowd.

Joe

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

this much

asapp6oe.jpg

I read that.

Actually this instruction page, found from a [H] forum search:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

Is many times better than the one linked from AS's page:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

The problem is that the picture you posted is for an Intel CPU, and according to the instructions - Intel and AMD processors should use different sized blobs. Now I could scale up based on the info they give me.. But really I was hoping for some technical measurements, not "1 1/2 the size of an uncooked grain of white rice".

Well they say somewhere around the size of a BB... and BBs are 6mm. So I should say about 5-6mm would be a good size.

EDIT: Well, they say about 2/3s of a BB... so 4mm is good.

the "blob" posted in that picture is the right amount for any CPU of the 754, 939, 775, 478 likes.

Your cooling the die, and what is pictured is the correct amount for the X2 as well (as the die's are in the center).

If you have a Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, skip steps 3 through 8 and go to step 9.

On an Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.
Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed

P4- About the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB.

Athlon64- About the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 3/4 of a BB.

So 4.5mm is 3/4 of a 6mm BB. Not that I can eyeball 1/2 mm :)

We'll see hwo it goes tomorrow. Thanks for your help :)

Phixzet said:
So 4.5mm is 3/4 of a 6mm BB. Not that I can eyeball 1/2 mm :)

We'll see hwo it goes tomorrow. Thanks for your help :)

No problem, and good luck. I'll be going through that process as soon as I get my mobo... Right now I have an x2 4400+, an SI-120, some AS5, but no mobo to mount it on ;_;.

I've got an X2 4800, how much of a benefit does doing this confer? Is there much risk?

Oh yeah, when they say "uncooked grain of rice," which rice cultivar are they thinking of. I'm guessing they mean the more common Mochi cultivar, but it could also be Basmati, Zonzgi or Jasmine...

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
No problem, and good luck. I'll be going through that process as soon as I get my mobo... Right now I have an x2 4400+, an SI-120, some AS5, but no mobo to mount it on ;_;.

You're not waiting on an A8N32-SLI, are ya?

Mine arrives tomorrow :)

I really wish I could have gotten high purity isopropyl alcohol for the cleaning of the HS and CPU... That's really the only thing left that bothers me a little... That 30% water that might stick around after I clean them... After all - you can't let the cpu sit there to dry off... You need to get it covered up before any dust settles on. :(

Phixzet said:

I really wish I could have gotten high purity isopropyl alcohol for the cleaning of the HS and CPU... That's really the only thing left that bothers me a little... That 30% water that might stick around after I clean them... After all - you can't let the cpu sit there to dry off... You need to get it covered up before any dust settles on. :(

Simple solution for that, just do it in a clean room where there's no dust (doh!).

Phixzet said:

Haha, yeah that's what I'm waiting for... A forum member might get a WiFi version of this for sale at a relatively nice price someday, so I'm going to hold out until then. Lucky bastard :p.

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
Haha, yeah that's what I'm waiting for... A forum member might get a WiFi version of this for sale at a relatively nice price someday, so I'm going to hold out until then. Lucky bastard :p.

Luck has nothing to do with it :)

Paying more than it's probably worth... Yeah that must be what did it.

Although FedEx ground sucks. It says my MB left CA on 12/6. Last scan was also in CA on 12/7. Nothing since. I'm in NY. Supposed to be delivered today, but I am not so sure it will happen.

Back