Astaro Security Gateway

pissboy

Gawd
I have come into possession of a few Astaro Security Gateways. I know some people use these for their home networks using the home license of the software. Does anyone here use one?

what models are they? Not sure if you can put a home user license on the appliances or not. I think you have to download the image and install it on a dedicated PC. I've used Astaro of and on for about three years at my house. I tend to flip flop Astaro Home and Untangle. Right now I'm using pfsense with squidguard. Going to be putting anAstaro Web Gateway behind that soon because I'm getting ready to demo that at a school in a few weeks. Astaro is an excellent UTM.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I have some 110s, 220s and 320s. I think I'm going to use one of the 110s for here, but I was kind of worried about the 512MB memory. The thing only draws ~20w max and is passively cooled. :) It seems like the 220s came in a few different hardware flavors (v1-P3/512MB/20GB v2-P4/1GB), but I don't know too much about the 110s and 320s other than the v1 hardware I have of both. From what I've read on their forums, you can use the home licenses on them.

I did read up a bit about Untangle here and on other forums while researching the Astaros, how are they on memory footprint?

I have some 110s, 220s and 320s. I think I'm going to use one of the 110s for here, but I was kind of worried about the 512MB memory. The thing only draws ~20w max and is passively cooled. :) It seems like the 220s came in a few different hardware flavors (v1-P3/512MB/20GB v2-P4/1GB), but I don't know too much about the 110s and 320s other than the v1 hardware I have of both. From what I've read on their forums, you can use the home licenses on them.

I did read up a bit about Untangle here and on other forums while researching the Astaros, how are they on memory footprint?

UT is a RAM hog. Need at least 768-1024MB RAM, IMO to get it running smoothly. Technically it will run with 512MB RAM but I wouldn't recommend it, even for home use.

You want to get rid of one of those 220s? I wouldn't mind having a new rackmount firewall. My old one died and I didn't like the case I had so I sold it on eBay. Now using a crappy little SFF desktop and my server and switch are sitting all by themselves in the rack. :D

I don't know if I'll have a rev2 unit or not for sale, I really don't need to keep one for myself. I definitely will have some extra Rev1 units. Looking a little deeper, they have 8x 10/100 (8x Intel 82559ER), LCD+control panel, serial, usb, P3-S 1266mhz, 512MB ram, 40GB hdd, and on onboard CF slot. I'm afraid none have rackmount hardware though. Based on the chipset (Intel 815), it appears they are limited to 512MB RAM.

hmmm . . . don't knowif I'd want one of those . . . would make a good pfsense box, though. Would run astaro for a house just fine, too.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back