Astro A40, or better options for $150?

Volume

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a new headset. By headset, I mean something with an integrated microphone, as I don't want to deal with clip-on mics or desktop mics.

I recently tried my friend's Astro A40 and was impressed with how comfortable it was. My only gripes about it were:
-While the sound was great in my opinion, I did not like the fact that it's open-ear, since I'd like to be able to drown out the sounds of noisy neighbors or room mates
-I know that typically, a "gaming" headset is overpriced when it comes to sound quality for the dollar

I've been away from researching these things for quite a while now but I want to finally retire my Siberia V2 headset as it's painful to wear during long gaming sessions and the inclusion of a USB connector causes interference and hissing noise. The faux leather cups also make me sweat sometimes...

What I'm looking for is something that only uses the 3.5mm jacks, doesn't have gimmicky surround sound features, and has an integrated mic. A felt-like material on the cups would be a big plus as well.

Is there something out there that beats the Astro A40 for the $150 cost?

I should mention that I used to own the Grado sr225i cans, so I definitely appreciate a quality set. Them having an open design and not much of an option for a mic, however, made them not so ideal for gaming over Ventrilo.

Suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Special-Performance-Gaming-Headset/dp/B008O510Y8/

Closed back. I can also vouch for the microphone used in these Sennheiser gaming headsets. Excellent recording quality and noise suppression. They use the faux leather ear pads, though I wonder if the velvet replacement ear pads for the PC 360 headset might fit on...

Modmic +headphones of your choice are an option as well, albeit not a cheap one necessarily.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Special-Performance-Gaming-Headset/dp/B008O510Y8/

Closed back. I can also vouch for the microphone used in these Sennheiser gaming headsets. Excellent recording quality and noise suppression. They use the faux leather ear pads, though I wonder if the velvet replacement ear pads for the PC 360 headset might fit on...

Modmic +headphones of your choice are an option as well, albeit not a cheap one necessarily.

Looks good, I'll look into this one some more. Thanks.

This is the lowest price ever on Amazon according to Camelcamelcamel. Nice find! You should post it in the Hot Deals section.

Back