Asus 4830 - $68.99 AR FS

damn, the deals on these keep getting better and better.
competition FTW!

I may be picking up a second soon.

How does the 4830 compare to a 3870? Would it be worth going crossfire with two 4830's?

This thing's cheap enough to be the new 8800GS. Amazingly tempting. I just might get this.

edit: If anyone impulse buys one of these and later regrets it, send me a PM, we might be able to work something out.

Well that does it, as long as this deal stays there's practically no point in buying anything up to the 4850 mark if you're a gamer and you don't need a new power supply for it, nothing comes close to this Asus' price performance ratio. Nvidia, ATI, doesn't matter, this deal kills all the others unless you go open box.

Yes, even if you don't get the rebate money. :p

extra [H]ot and Spicy. Like posted above, there is no reason to buy about 40 chipset versions now. This blows all of them away and does it with a reasonable power draw. I have a system thats running a e5200 and a 4830 on an old Antec 350 watt PSU (21 amps on the 12v rail though). I do plan on upgrading that PSU before I do any overclocking, but it does run it without any lockups and is stable on Prime, etc. Anyway, this is an awesome graphics card and makes building a decent budget gaming system easy.

in for 1 but would like 2. need to have someone buy me a second one, lol or will buy 2 and have my dad do the rebate for 2nd one. damn I hate the hot deals section; gonna make my wife kill me

in for 1 but would like 2. need to have someone buy me a second one, lol or will buy 2 and have my dad do the rebate for 2nd one. damn I hate the hot deals section; gonna make my wife kill me

I might not use mine. I'll PM you if I don't. I just couldn't resist this deal. I might be making a compy for a friend, but I'll let you know. It's only a $20 rebate though, so if you have to buy two $89 is still dang good. A decent P45 with these will make your games FLY.

and the lowest quality, cheapest looking cooler I've seen on a 4830 yet...

"Looking" is the key word. It's actually an Arctic Cooling unit that does quite well while still being quiet. Don't let its looks deceive you. It's worlds better than stock.

[H]unter;1033699309 said:
Dead? shows $99AR now...

If you haven't noticed yet, the whole forum has reverted back to the 6th, everything is half a week old...

So, for all you far more knowledgeable folks...

Say I've got a choice between this 4830, and someone offering me a 8800GT (XFX model, 512MB, stock from what I can tell, box, packing, all the original accessories, never overclocked, some light gaming, etc) for $100 or so...

In terms of just wanting a fast video card for some light gaming myself, perhaps some 3D work with Maya, etc, and perhaps - just perhaps some other uses for the GPU power like x264 encoding of content or maybe even Folding@Home...

Which would you more knowledgeable folks say is the better card, given the two choices? I have no intentions of overclocking, I just want something that will last a while. I know the 8800GT has been/was king of the hill for a long time, basically, but it is an older card so I'm trying to take that into account in this.

Any input is appreciated... didn't mean to "hijack" this thread but as my questions relates to a possible 4830 purchase of the card the thread is about made me think this is the perfect moment to pose the question.

Thanks

So, for all you far more knowledgeable folks...

Say I've got a choice between this 4830, and someone offering me a 8800GT (XFX model, 512MB, stock from what I can tell, box, packing, all the original accessories, never overclocked, some light gaming, etc) for $100 or so...

In terms of just wanting a fast video card for some light gaming myself, perhaps some 3D work with Maya, etc, and perhaps - just perhaps some other uses for the GPU power like x264 encoding of content or maybe even Folding@Home...

Which would you more knowledgeable folks say is the better card, given the two choices? I have no intentions of overclocking, I just want something that will last a while. I know the 8800GT has been/was king of the hill for a long time, basically, but it is an older card so I'm trying to take that into account in this.

Any input is appreciated... didn't mean to "hijack" this thread but as my questions relates to a possible 4830 purchase of the card the thread is about made me think this is the perfect moment to pose the question.

Thanks

The 4830 will have a slight edge in gaming, but in folding the 8800gt owns. So if folding isn't a big thing, then go with the 4830, it should use less power and have a slight edge in video quality as well.

I've heard that the nvidia cards are better at folding, other than that the two cards exchange blows depending on game.

Im staying away from ATi right now because their oddball take on rendering. [H] has shown in a couple reviews the way ATi renders is kinda screwy. The latest issue I saw was with Left 4 Dead where shadows were all screwed up. I'm kinda obsessed with ingame detail so something like that bothers me.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU4OSw4LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Meh again, if you dont care about that stuff yeah totally get this card great value.

I just got mine. Will test tonight if I have a chance and give you guys results on performance, temps & noise. Hopefully I have time ... :D

I got mine today. Runs amazing on my Sparkle 400watt :). Really nice performance boost over my 7800gt running 1920x1080. Runs source games flawless, and FEAR2 Demo was amazing smooth max details, 4x aa, 8xaf. The fan is noticeable at idle, but I only have 2 low rpm 120mm and a zalman 7000-b which make like no noise. But it really doesn't get much louder playing games. Temps are great clock at 650core. Idling at 42C. Gets around 55 playing source. But its pretty cool in my room but still happy with the temps. Ran 3dmark06 just for curiosity. Scored around 9700. I think its pretty decent for my aging 3+ year old system. I might slap on a 3rd party cooler on it sometime, maybe when I get the MIR back.

Having held the card in my had the cooler is definitely not flimsy. Coverage seems quite good on all but one RAM chip. (will post pics if I get the chance)

This thing is idling at 38c!!! In this same case with the same processor OC, fans, settings, everything ... a stock 4850 w/o OC idled at 60c or more with the stock cooling, same ASUS brand. The 4830 is downclocked, but not enough to solely account for a 22c drop in temps at idle, and ASUS has put a fair overclock on this card from the factory. The fan is inaudible over other fans in my system, which are fairly quiet. Will do some load testing next with fan at stock speeds, then I'll test with my own manual profiles.

Arctic Cooling FTW. This 4830 is looking to be a winner ... so far. Stay tuned.

Man. I am stupid. I am really into Fallout 3 right now. Playing it through for the second time. I'm just waiting until Monday when my Trade Up card gets here: The 295. Yay, right? The fastest graphics card out now, right?

Blah. I threw this 4830 in ($70 AR mind you...) I can run Fallout 3 at 1900x1200 with HDR, 4xAA, 15xAF, Ultra High w/v-sync. Looks great. Just as smooth and clear as my GTX 260 99% of the time.

Makes me wonder why anyone would spend any more than that on a graphics card right now ... makes me wonder why I spent that much ... I mean. I got a good deal on it, but still. If one 4830 is great imagine two on a cheapy P45 motherboard in crossfire. Makes one think ....

Anyhoo. For those wondering about temps, during gaming with the above settings temps usually stayed below 60c, with an occasional peak at 64c. All I can say is wow. Same game settings took my 4850 over 90c at times, causing little hangs, skips, stutters and even an occasional crash. This card is ROCK SOLID. If it goes back on sale again, BUY IT.

How are you guys getting such low temps? I got my card and LOVE it, but it idles around 69C and goes up to 98-99C when playing a game. I'm really scared about this and ordered another 120mm to go right over the PCI area of my case. What utility are you using to gauge temps? Should I take the cooler off and put some Arctic Silver in there?

How are you guys getting such low temps? I got my card and LOVE it, but it idles around 69C and goes up to 98-99C when playing a game. I'm really scared about this and ordered another 120mm to go right over the PCI area of my case. What utility are you using to gauge temps? Should I take the cooler off and put some Arctic Silver in there?

I didn't change anything. It's all stock. I wonder if they mounted the HS right. Are there thermal pads or anything in between the heatsink and the chips? Those temps do seem very high, unless you just have horrible air flow in your case.

I was just using the ATI CCC.

open the side of your case and play a game. come back to us with those temps. if they dont change much from what you have then you will probably need to re apply thermal paste to the core.

Those temps were with the side of the case off. I'm gonna put some paste on and repost my results.

Back