Asus 7800GTX Cooling question

EmbraceThePenguin

Limp Gawd
Ok, I have the above mentioned card and idle the card is at 47c but when I play a game like Doom3 or UT2004, it jumps up to 69c - 70c. I was wanting to purchase a new HSF for the card. In the past, for my 6800, I picked up the Zalman VF700-Cu Ultra Quiet VGA Cooler but the specs for that card don't mention the 7800 line.

Can someone recommend me a nice cool (no pun intended) HSF for my 7800 GTX. I dont overclock the video, but I want to keep the temps in the 50c and below range if possible.

Thanks!!!

Joe

69C to 70c is NOTHING to even fret about....these cards can run above 90c for extended periods...they are not CPU's. Just think how hot a Dell branded GTX or GT runs inside one of those quiet cases and they are made to last for years.

That being said, 70c is FINE. I use a Zalman 700AlCu and see loads of 74c under Far Cry with HDR on. Stock would see 85c at times...also the 700 series fits the GTX's perfectly. They are a good, cost effective cooler.

Different games will show completely different max temps....

TheRapture said:
69C to 70c is NOTHING to even fret about....these cards can run above 90c for extended periods...they are not CPU's. Just think how hot a Dell branded GTX or GT runs inside one of those quiet cases and they are made to last for years.

That being said, 70c is FINE. I use a Zalman 700AlCu and see loads of 74c under Far Cry with HDR on. Stock would see 85c at times...also the 700 series fits the GTX's perfectly. They are a good, cost effective cooler.

Different games will show completely different max temps....
Ok, I was a little worried as my 6800 never got that high in temp. But, I forgot that this is a faster card and would probobly be designed to run a little hotter.

Also, good to know that the Zalman cooler does work on it if I decided to change out the HSF.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Yes, those temperatures are no problem at all. Mine is idle 48 C and on high load about 68 C and it's overclocked to 485/1350. The nVidia drivers add an extra 40 MHz to that (core: 526 MHz). If it's not stable because of heat it wouldn't clock that high I guess.

Back