Asus A8N-E and Nvidia nforce chipset driver install?

Equalizer

Limp Gawd
I'm new to the amd scene so please forgive my ignorance.

I just purchased the A8N-E and the nforce 4 ultra drivers that came on the cd are old. Can I use the drivers from Nvidia's website instead of the ones from Asus?

Yes. In fact that's usually the best course of action. Drivers delivered with retail product are almost always out of date.

Thanks for the help. I installed the nvidia drivers from their site and all went well.

The only issue now is it displays the chipset as nforce 4 and not nforce 4 ultra. Is this correct even though the board has an nforce 4 ultra chipset? I used cpuz and the device manager to come to this conclusion.

CompuDrew - maybe you can answer this question. I installed the xtasy x850xtpe in my machine and loaded the ati 5.6 drivers. Now the overdrive and smartgart tabs are missing out of my advanced menu. It also list the card as an x850 series card and not x850xtpe card in the device manager. Are you getting the same thing with your x850xt card?

thanks

Equalizer said:
Thanks for the help. I installed the nvidia drivers from their site and all went well.

The only issue now is it displays the chipset as nforce 4 and not nforce 4 ultra. Is this correct even though the board has an nforce 4 ultra chipset? I used cpuz and the device manager to come to this conclusion.

CompuDrew - maybe you can answer this question. I installed the xtasy x850xtpe in my machine and loaded the ati 5.6 drivers. Now the overdrive and smartgart tabs are missing out of my advanced menu. It also list the card as an x850 series card and not x850xtpe card in the device manager. Are you getting the same thing with your x850xt card?

thanks

Different driver revisions may call the chipset something slightly different. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

As for the X850XT thing, you'll have to wait for an answer from one of the guys that owns one of those cards. I am using Nvidia cards at the moment, so I have no real experience with X850XT's aside from installing them in customer machines from time to time.

Display properties/settings/advanced/adapter tab
Under Adapter Type mine says Radeon X850 Series
Under Adapter Information it says Radeon X850 XT

As far as the Nforce 4 not saying Ultra, that's how mine looks, too, even when using the drivers I got on the CD, so I think it's safe to say that's normal.

CompuDrew said:
Display properties/settings/advanced/adapter tab
Under Adapter Type mine says Radeon X850 Series
Under Adapter Information it says Radeon X850 XT.

Thanks. Are you getting the smartgart and overdrive tabs in the advanced display properties tab?
Thanks again

No, I don't have those tabs. I didn't have the .net framework installed so I didn't use those other drivers. Is that once of the features they come with? Shoot, now I'm thinking of getting them!

I still use the old control panel version. I can't stand the catalyst control center version of the drivers. I did load both drivers and neither set contained those tabs. I did find out that the smartgart tab is for agp cards and not pci-e. As for the overdrive tab I have heard some manufacturers disable this feature on the card. The Visiontek card I have may be one of the cards that do this. I mainly wanted the overdrive tab so I could check temps.

Thanks again for the help.

OK, I installed the .net and the other drivers, now in that disaster of what they refer to as the ATI Catalyst Control Center, I do have the Overdrive tab where I can see the temp.

Back