Asus BIOS, AMD Overclocking: Accept Decline? Do I have to choose?

seward

n00b
Apologies for simple question, I just got back into overclocking after being away for awhile. My home office build went down after more than a decade, so I put together an "emergency" build with limited funds: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G, Asus Prime B550-PLUS motherboard with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600, with Windows 11. As far as overclocking goes, I'm looking for a low/medium overclock; I play old games, and I want to max them out, maybe without even adding a graphics card. I found that I wasn't able to access settings like CPU Core Ratio unless I first chose OC Tuner and let the board perform an auto-OC. After that, I was able to access CPU Core Ratio and voltages. It seems like I'm good to go in terms of manually changing settings now (and to be honest, the auto-OC to 4.0ghz @1.216v is pretty good, stable with low temps).

However...I noticed, under the board BIOS' Advanced settings (not AI Tweaker), that there's an option for AMD Overclocking. If you click on that you can either Accept or Decline to overclock. It seems like I'd already done that, implicitly or whatever. Nothing seems to be going wrong, nothing appears to be broken. I'm just wondering if I should bother to make a choice here. Would I be able to access CPU Core Ratio and other settings, that it seems I have to access through OC Tuner, if I chose to Accept? Thanks for help.

it's just your standard warranty clause/warning bs.. the thing with overclocking those chips is that you lose single threaded boost unless you can overclock it to 4.2Ghz or higher all core. you're going to want the higher single threaded clocks with older games if you can't do that.. if you can overclock the igp you'll see better gains but probably not much.

it's just your standard warranty clause/warning bs.. the thing with overclocking those chips is that you lose single threaded boost unless you can overclock it to 4.2Ghz or higher all core. you're going to want the higher single threaded clocks with older games if you can't do that.. if you can overclock the igp you'll see better gains but probably not much.

I'm working on the igpu, still studying up. I've used BIOS GPU Boost, and it improved image quality and performance (Extreme = 400mhz bump), but it also overvolts igpu (1.15-2v), so I'm probably gonna bring that down, which looks do-able in BIOS. I seem to be getting image quality and performance improvements with a cpu overclock to 4.0 from 3.7ghz, with tolerable volts/temps, though it would be nice to get up to 4.2. I'm not sure that an Asus Prime B550-PLUS is a board that you use to get and maintain a .5ghz overclock, though. Still trying to figure out expectations for this board.

Back