Asus Eee Netbook (2nd gen) $149.99 w/code at Geeks.com

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EEEPC900A-WFBB01-R&cat=NBB

NOTE: This is a refurb, but it's got a waranty, just so you know... as if you'd get a brand new Netbook like this for $150... shyeaaaaaah right.

Yah, it's just the 2nd generation Eee, that super tiny one with the 8.9" screen, but hell, it's $150 smackers with a warranty, how can you really go wrong? Would make great stocking stuffers for the holidays... of course that would mean throwin' 'em in a closet for another 6 months or so but hey, it's $150... ;)

The price listed is $219.99 so use coupon code 900A during checkout to get it at the actual $149.99 price. California peeps get stuck for another $8... damned waste recycling crap fees...

There's a huge community behind these things, mods up the ying-yang, and SSDs designed specifically for 'em as well. If I had the money to spare I'd grab one and use it for BackTrack 3 duties.

They've got 74 left as I post this at 5:23PM Pacific time.

Last edited:
Nice. If I had the money, something like this would be good for college.

These refurbs have been ~$150 for a couple of months now from several sources.

Can't alter the title at this point. If a Mod is paying attention and could at (refurb) someplace in the title I'd appreciate it, but I think people will understand that's the case.

I bought one of these -- this is the "Best Buy" model. The SSDs in these are some of the slowest most worthless pieces of crap on the face of this earth. You have to spend hours tweaking RAM disks and redirecting cache writing just to get an nLited copy of XP usabe... cause a full copy won't fit. Avoid it like the plague. It's not worth $100, much less $150.

How fast was it with the included Linux, or Ubuntu Netbook Remix? I don't really need Windows on it, just a decent web browser.

For the price, you can get a decent 16gb SSD mini-pci-e card in there... or just use Linux on it and have an SD card and/or USB drive for extra storage.

Good deal IMO. Lowest I've seen is $180. Even the Newegg version for $170 only has 512mb Ram.

I want.

I bought one of these -- this is the "Best Buy" model. The SSDs in these are some of the slowest most worthless pieces of crap on the face of this earth. You have to spend hours tweaking RAM disks and redirecting cache writing just to get an nLited copy of XP usabe... cause a full copy won't fit. Avoid it like the plague. It's not worth $100, much less $150.

So how easy to replace SSD?
Also any [H] recommended upgrades?

Seriously considering getting a Netbook, don't feel like dropping more then $200 for one, with upgrades.

[H]unter;1034297470 said:
So how easy to replace SSD?
Also any [H] recommended upgrades?

Seriously considering getting a Netbook, don't feel like dropping more then $200 for one, with upgrades.

i think it'd be worth the extra money and try to get a netbook with a full sized laptop harddrive. the extra size is well worth it. i kind of regret getting my dell mini because of this limitation.

How easy? Turn it over, unscrew a panel and remove it, unscrew another screw, slide out the old SSD, slide in the new one, screw it down, replace the panel and screw that back down, turn it back on, install an OS or whatever.

Pretty simple. :)

i think it'd be worth the extra money and try to get a netbook with a full sized laptop harddrive. the extra size is well worth it. i kind of regret getting my dell mini because of this limitation.

I was thinking the same thing.
Storage is important with these devices. So was considering getting large SDHC cards, or swapping out the SSD for a larger one. All options increase the price to where it is a tradeoff with an HDD.

And if I'm getting an HDD flavor I would prefer a 2.5" SATA interface anyway.

I was also looking at the Dell Mini9 as an OSX netbook, but the limited storage is a problem.

Kind of glad they're sold out, I've wanted one of those for awhile, but I'm going on vacation soon, so I don't want to buy anything.

Back