Asus MeMo HD 7 or Dell Venue 8?

rpeters83

Gawd
Getting a birthday gift for my wife. I'm torn between these two. Looking to keep it under $200 and would like 16GB of internal storage.

I like that the Dell has 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB in the Asus, but not sure how the dual-core Atom performs against the quad-core ARM.

Dell Venue 8
ASUS Memo HD 7

I have the Memo HD 7, I like it nice screen good viewing angles. Its a little laggy unless you turn off the power saving features, battery last a long time and has played every movie I've thrown at it with MX player without stuttering. Got it on sale at Newegg for 120ish. Only problem I have had is SD card disconnecting if you flex the tablet (i have a 32 gb card but have read in the forums a 64 gb will work), there are fixes for it, but haven't messed with it, never had a chance to play with the Dell. Also haven't found an official screen protector for it but a Nexus 4 2012 protector works just fine.

I have the Memo HD 7, I like it nice screen good viewing angles. Its a little laggy unless you turn off the power saving features, battery last a long time and has played every movie I've thrown at it with MX player without stuttering. Got it on sale at Newegg for 120ish. Only problem I have had is SD card disconnecting if you flex the tablet (i have a 32 gb card but have read in the forums a 64 gb will work), there are fixes for it, but haven't messed with it, never had a chance to play with the Dell. Also haven't found an official screen protector for it but a Nexus 4 2012 protector works just fine.

I just ordered the HD7 for my wife.

How often does that SD card disconnect? Are there any tricks for it? Do you really have to flex it, or is it fine under normal use?

Any other issues/quirks you've noticed with it? Thanks.

I've also been looking at these two. I'm leaning toward the dell though as I've been reading lots of problems with the asus and not powering on and having to be returned.... @_o

Anyone have the Dell Venue 8" Andriod that can give a yay or nay to it's quality?

With the disconnecting thing on the ASUS I had to purposefully flex it before I put a case on it to make it do it. With the new case I bought off amazon that's massive it started doing it intermittently while watching a movie holding Memo with one hand (once every 10 min or so). I heard the simple fix is to simply wrap the SD card with electrical tape so it holds in the socket tighter but i haven't tried it yet. Also when you get this tablet immediately update it (there was like 3 or so for mine) fixes a bunch of problems these things have from factory, mine wouldn't read SD card till I did all the updates.

Back