ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

Yeah everything is working 100% ok and as expected other than Port 1 on the motherboard not recognizing the Intel 510 SSD, Port 2 sees it fine. Today I am going try a couple borrowed SATA3 SSDs on Port 1 and see what happens.

Here's an update. I tried a Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 256GB SATA III on Port 1 and the BIOS did not recognize it either! But, sure enough it did see a plan old Western Digital HDD.

What is going on with that port? And, how bad is it to use the SATA III Marvell ports? I wanted to use the second SSD as well. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's an update. I tried a Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 256GB SATA III on Port 1 and the BIOS did not recognize it either! But, sure enough it did see a plan old Western Digital HDD.

What is going on with that port? And, how bad is it to use the SATA III Marvell ports? I wanted to use the second SSD as well. Thanks.

I sent you a PM about a simliar issue I ran into.. was wierd as hell but it woudlnt show up in any of my menus until i went in and set the HD Priority to show the SSD as the first option. This is a seperate menu from the normal boot order menu. It was really strange but for some reason it worked.. *shrug* Keep in mind I have a P67 board but our issues sound a lot alike. Make sure you enable Hot Swap.. some SSD's will stutter if you dont.

Also those SATA III Marvell ports suck bawls compared to the Intel.

um, thats the way its supposed to work
the HDD boot order main boot page are PLACEHOLDERS for all devices of a type.
So if you had 3 MBR HDD (represented as one HDD Icon No UEFI Strap on EZ page)
And 3 GPT HDD (represented as one HDD icon with UEFI strap on EZ page)

You want to boot GPT HDD port 2, you put UEFI HDD as first in main boot page boot order, then go to HDD boot priorities on sub page and set the order of the 3 UEFI GPT HDD with port 2 first. If you put a dif drive as first in sub page order it will now be reflected in main boot page
Same for MBR MSDOS HDD

So you have six drives represented as two boot device TYPE orders on main page, and 3 and 3 on ea sub page.

Ok, thanks for the help, totally appreicated but I think I got it figured out.

I was able to get another P8Z68-V Pro board to try today and sure enough on the new board it worked fine! So, I'm guessing I actually had a bad port on the motherboard, rare but those things do happen once and while. Glad that's over! :)

um, thats the way its supposed to work
the HDD boot order main boot page are PLACEHOLDERS for all devices of a type.
So if you had 3 MBR HDD (represented as one HDD Icon No UEFI Strap on EZ page)
And 3 GPT HDD (represented as one HDD icon with UEFI strap on EZ page)

You want to boot GPT HDD port 2, you put UEFI HDD as first in main boot page boot order, then go to HDD boot priorities on sub page and set the order of the 3 UEFI GPT HDD with port 2 first. If you put a dif drive as first in sub page order it will now be reflected in main boot page
Same for MBR MSDOS HDD

So you have six drives represented as two boot device TYPE orders on main page, and 3 and 3 on ea sub page.

Yeah, I don't think you understand what I am saying.. it wouldnt detect on the page where you set the hot swap to enable or disable.. until I jacked with the boot proirity.. which is wierd.. because that section has nothing to do with boot prioirity.. maybe a hickup because this happened for me right after a bios flash for me.

I hope this question is not out of context but will there be a refresh to the asus rog maximus extreme-z for gen3 pci-e?

@copywright

O yea, my bad, didnt read carefully enough. (Was eating pizza)

The SSD's are "quick" juice suckers. So theres the +5V VSB issues (voltage standby). PSU's vary considerably in this spec - they range from 2-5 Amps which is 10-25 Watts. Basically, you are attempting to initialize a giant array of RAM chips instantly, unlike a spinner HDD (1-2 seconds). Obviously a 240GB will have a bigger prob than a 120GB and it a bigger prob than a 60GB. Jonnyguru.com is one of the very few sites that reviews PSU that tests the +5VSB and charts it and shows the square wave, talks about spikes, ususllay on first test page

Now the SSD manuf do put out dif firmware that help in DETECTION of their drives with dif bios, but this is different - the drives are just not detected everywhere. In this case the drive is detected, just not on every port. So clearly its an electrical supply prob, and some SATA ports get less juice, or enough juice, but not fast enough for whatever reason. Were it me I would try the new super PSU like the Kingwin gold or the Seasonic platinum. Another thing is to slightly slow the boot to give SSD a chance if your bios has the delay option, or power on by PCIe in APM which increases juice flow to those channels.. A monster vidcard will also have a big juice suck on boot (some even have TWO 8 pin auxillary connectors). But I dont use SSD - I dont think they are ready for prime time. The latter part of NEXT year everything is supposed to be ironed out - then I will buy.

Or, you can just stick it where it does work, take 2 Ambien and sleep like a baby.

Last edited:
Issue with restarting, uefi or something else maybe.

Rebooted earlier and it started up in uefi bios. Under boot device, there was nothing there. herse what i mean
restart-bios-no boot device
restart-bios-no boot device

(comes home after work)

switch on-windows startup

its as if bios goes to sleep randomly then wakes up sometimes and goes"ok ill work properly now"

anyone got ideas how to hard wire bios to NOT change all the time

Could be, im not too sure. One thing i noticed when it fails to boot and enters bios, there is only one option.. Disable or enable my cdrom

All my hdd's on both marvel and intel... gone...

It's very interesting to hear others are having ssd detection issues. Lately I've noticed that my old OCZ 60gb vertex will get dropped and won't come back online until after a cold shut down on my Z68 deluxe. Though my crucial 120gb SSD on another port hasn't had any issues. Maybe it's a psu issue or something else. Weird.

Hello seem to be having issue where my board does not recognize any headphone or mic. Just wondering any one having similar issue. Board is p8z68-vpro.

Hello seem to be having issue where my board does not recognize any headphone or mic. Just wondering any one having similar issue. Board is p8z68-vpro.

I have given up trying to help on Audio issues - takes too long too many possibilities.

Basic stuff:
What exact headphones? There are many types.
Headphones and mic are plugged in case front panel port specific for ea - right?

If you plug HPh in rear green (loud), all other audio controllers disabled in dev man, and have sound, its not the realtek chip, tho I have seen 3 cases whereas it was bad, the chip was hot to touch. Other than that its your config. Of course you gotta have HD in bios, HD drivers in Win 7 and HD plug for front panel (none AC'97)

Is it worth upgrading from a VPro to a VPro Gen 3?

no there aint no gen 3.0 hw out yet, its half assed if and when used on current mobo, so wait for X79, which supposedly is only a month away. Then you will need a new CPU also, so thats your real decision.

no there aint no gen 3.0 hw out yet, its half assed if and when used on current mobo, so wait for X79, which supposedly is only a month away. Then you will need a new CPU also, so thats your real decision.

Oh, lame. :(

It's very interesting to hear others are having ssd detection issues. Lately I've noticed that my old OCZ 60gb vertex will get dropped and won't come back online until after a cold shut down on my Z68 deluxe. Though my crucial 120gb SSD on another port hasn't had any issues. Maybe it's a psu issue or something else. Weird.

Curious as to what happens if you:
Set APM power on by PCIe
Disable full screen logo and hit pause/break key hard during boot, then count of 5 to see if SSD needs more time to initialize
Does a warm boot work every time?
As I mentioned in my other post, SSD's are on INSTANTLY, bios ready or not, no spinup like a platter HDD
However the other guy RMA'd the mobo and that fixed it for him.

Hello everyone,

I recently put a build together with a P8Z68-V Pro. I have read some posts with people explaining a "dual boot" issue, ie the system appears to boot twice upon start-up/restart. I am wondering if this is a confirmed issue that everyone has, or if it is somehow hardware related?
When I boot up, the first time around I get a screen that says something like: "No disk found", then it will seemingly boot again and go into Windows 7 and everything is fine. Throughout this process the Asus BIOS splash screen appears 2 or 3 times.

Another related issue, when I do a "load optimized defaults" in the BIOS then save changes and restart, it will cycle 3 times, where I can literally hear everything powering down, PSU click off, pause, power up. Is this "normal"?

I am running BIOS 0706. Thanks

Another related issue, when I do a "load optimized defaults" in the BIOS then save changes and restart, it will cycle 3 times, where I can literally hear everything powering down, PSU click off, pause, power up. Is this "normal"?

No , it isn't. Try setting AI overclock tuner to X.M.P. profile , under AI tweaker menu, or leave AI overclock tuner by default (Auto), and disable Internal PLL overvoltage. You can, also try setting BCLK to 100. This issue is not solved by the lates 0801 BIOS, but resuming from sleep mode is.

Hello everyone,

I recently put a build together with a P8Z68-V Pro. I have read some posts with people explaining a "dual boot" issue, ie the system appears to boot twice upon start-up/restart. I am wondering if this is a confirmed issue that everyone has, or if it is somehow hardware related?
When I boot up, the first time around I get a screen that says something like: "No disk found", then it will seemingly boot again and go into Windows 7 and everything is fine. Throughout this process the Asus BIOS splash screen appears 2 or 3 times.

I am running BIOS 0706. Thanks

I remedied the issue of dual booting by turning cpu spectrum off.

And with the "No disk found," I just turned off my Marvell controller since I don't use them.

YMMV

Set APM power on by PCIe
Disable full screen logo and hit pause/break key hard during boot, then count of 5 to see if SSD needs more time to initialize
As I mentioned in my other post, SSD's are on INSTANTLY, bios ready or not, no spinup like a platter HDD

heres a ss of my failure. All that its picking up is my rom. Hit reset, and boom , windows starts up. ofcourse this only happens once every so often.
Warm resets are the same, once every so often
ssd is being used in raid mode, so theres no reason bios shouldnt see my 2 hdd's

below this ss is another one when boot is normal

Last edited:
fwiw, I was replying to Davidm171.
You have 2 SSD 64GB in RAID, so you have an added complication I dont even want to think about.
I would try coupla things tho -
Set option rom to force bios
Set a DVD as first boot to give precious few second or two for bios to find SSD. Why is it not even in the boot order at all? Is IT detected at any time?
Make sure you are using SATA6 cable and short as possible, with steel locking latch. I use OK Gear 10"
Personally, I would never set SSD as first boot.
You really should just use one of the SSD as a cache drive to the WDC in SRT mode. I would think that would work in any condition since the O/S drive is already on.
Basically, for those with intermittent detect SINGLE SSD, or SSD ONLY detected on Intel Port 2 not Intel Port 1 means (to me) its a power to "on state" vs time issue. It would appear Intel port 2 gets activated after Port 1. And when non detected on port 1, the posting steps have already passed the SSD. Since it only happens occasionally, whatever is happening is super critical - prob milliseconds, or milliamps. I guess one could also try zero overclock - maybe the boot itself is too fast and not the SSD?

Whatever is happening hardware wise it could be virtually anything - mobo trace lengths, on die routing priorities, PSU +5VSB, SSD controller firmware, mobo components getting burned in, insufficient tension in SATA cable internal contacts etc.

If I had access to sophisticated electrical testing equip. I would for starters monitor and log the SATA ports solder points (on backside) upon turn on with an ocilliscope, with an SSD and with a spinner, in all the ports

Or you could just RMA the thing and see what happens - worked for other poster - lol

Last edited:
P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Can't get ai suite to install. I've tried the CD and the downloaded version from the website. Neither works.

When I try to run it, it starts, I get the security pop-ups in windows and then nothing.

Hopefully this is a common problem and there is a quick fix. Can anyone assist?

Set APM power on by PCIe

No but a cold boot every time..

When I get a chance to play around with that system I'll try your suggestions. It happens rarely but fwiw that system dual boots OSX SL/Lion and not sure if the bootloaders I've been using has anything to do with the ssd drive disappearing or maybe the drive is just dying. Been too busy to troubleshoot that one..

Thanks

I have decided to go with a Z68 mb, but I still struggle to decide which brand..

To sum it up, known issues with Asus mobos should be:

-Cold/Dual boot
-Port 1 Sata 6 GbpS with Ssd no go
-Shoddy mouse support in Uefi Bios

Anything I have overlooked?

As a personal note, it looks to me like the quality of Asus has fallen to a new low. WTF Asus?

MSI looks more and more tempting. Cheaper AND better quality..

@ NorthernEurope

All issues are fixed with the new BIOS-versions and since OCZ released the new FW v2.15 my SSDs (Agility3 & Vertex3) also work perfectly.

I just recently got everything all set in my new system using a P8Z68-V Pro. I have a question about disks. I am using an SSD (Crucial M4 128GB) as my primary, plugged into the grey 6gbps connectors. No issues there, I have gotten read speeds of 490MB/s in HDTune.

I also have 3 Samsung Spinpoint drives hooked up as well. 1 in the other gray 6gps port, then other two in the 3gps ports. I noticed a couple times that when I go to access files on them, it will hang up, take like 4-5 seconds (not responding in the bar) and then I'll hear the hard drive click and I'll access the files/drive. This has happened on 2 of my drives that I brought over from another system (the third drive is new, no files on it yet). Never experienced this problem with the drives in my old system. This doesn't happen all the time and so far has really only happened twice, once after the computer was idle for a while.

I am wondering if this is normal? Is this is some sort of BIOS power saving feature that can be turned off?
Thanks

sleep/hibernate/powersave?
try putting HDD on never shutdown as a test (adv power options)

With help and advice from many kind [H] members, I finished my new build this weekend using this ASUS P8Z68-V Pro. Everything went smooth and it's running nicely. I just have one small issue with the USB 3.0

First I'll ask this. I couldn't for the life of me find a straight answer on the web. Will a male USB 2.0 stick work in a female USB 3.0 socket (assuming it's hooked up properly?) If no, then that answers my question. If yes, I need to trouble shoot the USB 3.0 front panel connectors.

Yes USB 2.0 sticks fit and work in USB 3.0 ports.
USB 3 is backward compatible with 2.0 and also 1.1 if its set enabled in the bios (legacy).
When you say "front panel" do you mean the black box Renessa 2 port USB 3.0? There are 3 USB sockets on the mobo for CASE front panel, but they are all USB 2.0
The Renessa requires drivers to work, and you will show 2 Renessa Hubs and 2 Renessa ports entries in dev manager/Universal USB.
So, you will have both those ports and the on southbridge Intel USB 3 (two) and USB 2 ports.
There is also legacy USB 3.0 in bios for old O/S like XP, which you dont want, likewise with EHCI handoff.
Whether your PARTICULAR USB 3 device works with a given bios is another matter

Yes USB 2.0 sticks fit and work in USB 3.0 ports.
USB 3 is backward compatible with 2.0 and also 1.1 if its set enabled in the bios (legacy).
When you say "front panel" do you mean the black box Renessa 2 port USB 3.0? There are 3 USB sockets on the mobo for CASE front panel, but they are all USB 2.0
The Renessa requires drivers to work, and you will show 2 Renessa Hubs and 2 Renessa ports entries in dev manager/Universal USB.
So, you will have both those ports and the on southbridge Intel USB 3 (two) and USB 2 ports.
There is also legacy USB 3.0 in bios for old O/S like XP, which you dont want, likewise with EHCI handoff.
Whether your PARTICULAR USB 3 device works with a given bios is another matter

Thanks. My case has two front panel USB 3.0 inputs. They connect via 1 20pin cable which I connected to the 20 pin socket on the mobo. I'll be home shortly and open it up.

Confirmed. The front USB 3.0 Case hub is plugged into the 20-1 pin connector on the mobo.

Last edited:
Thanks. My case has two front panel USB 3.0 inputs. They connect via 1 20pin cable witch I connected to the 20 pin socket on the mobo. I'll be home shortly and open it up.

Ooops. My bad.
You have the V Pro - you have no Renessa, you have the ASMedia USB 3.0 - 2 port chip. And you will use those drivers instead. So you have Intel native 2.0 and third party ASM 3.0.

Last edited:
Ooops. My bad.
You have the V Pro - you have no Renessa, you have the ASMedia USB 3.0 - 2 port chip. And you will use those drivers instead. So you have Intel native and third party ASM.
So, exactly which drivers should I install?

I installed the USB drivers from this page but it still doesn't work. It's getting power to the USB 2.0 stick, but not recognizing it. Thanks

So, exactly which drivers should I install?

I installed the USB drivers from this page but it still doesn't work. It's getting power to the USB 2.0 stick, but not recognizing it. Thanks

Get them here. Asus is very slow updating their drivers, don't expect much support there.

I recently purchased the P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 and have some questions I am wondering about.
I want to run a SSD off the Intel sata 6... OK so that's easy enough.
I have 1 DVD sata drive.
I want to run two 3TB in RAD 1 array.
Should I install the 2 3TB drives to the marvell controller or run them off of the Intel sata3?
If I want to run them off the Intel sata3, how does the DVD sata drive work? It says in the manual that if I use the Intel sata3 for Raid, I can not use any of the ports for anything else.
Is this true?

Thanks

I've been running into a problem with my new machine and I'm wondering if it's a known issue.

Win 7 64
Intel 2500k
Asus P8z68-v Pro
Crucial 120 GB SSD

At random times, my input devices (mouse, keyboard, headset) just stop working, but the computer still runs fine (videos still play, I still receive instant messages from friends, etc). The lights on the devices go out and the only way they come back is if I restart.

Sometimes I can go all day without it stopping, but other times it does it multiple times in one evening. So far it has never done it while I've been playing a game, only while on the desktop/browsing the net.

Sleep mode works fine, but the problem seems to happen most often after I have come out sleep mode. The error log doesn't report much besides an unexpected power failure due to the restart.

I've updated the Asus bios to v0706 but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I am also overclocking the system using the bios's auto OC option.

Back