Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Zalman just pointed me to http://www.sharkacomputers.com/zacsclsuforl.html
For a $6.xx clip +shipping. I bought it just in case my zerotherm doesn't fit, and just to have around as an option since I doubt I'll be buying amd for awhile.

I'm going to order the parts for my build tonight I think. I'd hate to have it all arrive and find out I have no suitable cpu cooler. ;)

I'd like to experiment with overlocking the new rig eventually (E8400 with corsair dominator on the P5E-vm hdmi), but I'm not sure on the vrdop mod. Not sure if I need to do it to get a decent overclock, and not 100% on how to do it (just apply some pencil where depicted?). Thanks for any opinions/suggestions regarding that.

There is a third cooler shocksyde that you may want to consider for the P5E-VM.

The Thermaltake CPU Duo-Orb introduced a couple of months ago is finding its way into some markets. This looks like a very interesting cooler for SFF users.

* Dimension: (L) 202mm x (W) 106mm x (H) 86mm

Hi there,

Just want what's your CPU and Motherboard temperature?

I'm running QX9650 with P5E-VM HDMI, 4G OCZ (4 x 1G) DDR2 PC-6400 RAM.

My temperature one quad core are: 27, 27, 50, 50, average 38 to 40, when play H.264, it reach 27, 30, 52, 52, average 42. Motherboard from 38 to 43.

Why temperature read so different in four cores? What's your temperature read?

BTW, I'm using NSK 2480 case, Mini Ninja cpu cooler without fan, Vista Ultimate 64, and Lavalys Everest to read the temperature.

Thanks

Noodle

Very interesting questions Noodle !

My Config. = Pentium 4 / 768 MB RAM
Temp. = 23˚C (cold) / 31˚C (normal) / 55˚C (load)
According to Everest

If people could post their type of CPU and temperatures here please.

Hmmmm...was really REALLY tempted to get the P5E-VM HDMI, but think in the end I'll wait for the G45 based P5Q-EM HDMI (mostly in the hopes for a better audio codec) whenever it comes out:

cebit06_32.jpg

It does look the same. The only difference I see is that little vertical card next to the top PCIe 1x slot is gone.

It does look the same. The only difference I see is that little vertical card next to the top PCIe 1x slot is gone.

Maybe that's the "make annoying static on the onboard sound" card... anyone try removing it? :rolleyes:

I finally got my P5E-VM HDMI up and running a few hours ago.. Immediately after Vista x64 was finished installing, I rebooted and went directly into the BIOS. I dropped my multiplier down to 8 and raised the FSB to 425.. I changed a few settings here and there and viola.. It booted perfectly fine! I feel that this board is MUCH more capable than its current 425 fsb setting.. I still need to allow the TIM to cure but the priliminary results are extremely encouraging!

DSCN9471.jpg

DSCN9481.jpg

3dmark06firstrun.jpg

I read on [H] that a dfi board is going to come out later this year , mATX sli capable.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264514&highlight=DFI+sli

I wasn't willing to wait that long. Speaking of waitng, unfortunately due to my credit card company overly protecting vs. fraud and freezing several orders I made at one time, my P5E-VM hdmi won't arrive until monday or tuesday. I have the rest of the hardware for my build just sitting here mocking me. :p

I read on [H] that a dfi board is going to come out later this year , mATX sli capable.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264514&highlight=DFI+sli

I wasn't willing to wait that long. Speaking of waitng, unfortunately due to my credit card company overly protecting vs. fraud and freezing several orders I made at one time, my P5E-VM hdmi won't arrive until monday or tuesday. I have the rest of the hardware for my build just sitting here mocking me. :p

The DFI board is just a rumor at this point.. I think a pretty big crowd of mATX / HTPC / Lanparty peeps are following this thread / story closely! I think you will be satisfied with your P5E-VM HDMI.. I'm going to give it a few days and will try my hand at a 450fsb, 475fsb, etc.. One guy got his well over 500fsb.. I guess it would be good braggin' rights for me but I really don't have a need to push my HTPC *that* hard. It's not my benchmark or gaming rig.. TBH, I am happy with it's current setting of 3.4ghz with a 425 FSB.. Since I am new to the mATX scene, can any of you veteran mATX owners chime in, whether that's a decent lil overclock for this board and CPU?

After some minor teething problems with Vista 64 and a quick perusal of this thread, this board rocks.

Finally got this quad up to 3600.

got a real quick question ...

I bought one of these and put all of my existing parts from my old machine into a Lanbox Lite and was wondering if there is a updated list of coolers that work with it, because I was eyeing the Zalman CNPS9700 NT, but I can't see it fitting inside the Lanbox.

NT-06
Zalman 7700
Zalman 8700

That Thermaltake DuOrb linked to earlier might fit in terms of height, but I'm not sure if it would hang over the edge of the board. Otherwise, it looks like a great option for Lanbox owners. It's about 10mm too tall for SG-01 owners unfortunately. Not sure about Microfly's or SG-03's..

Apart from those 4, I'm not sure what else fits in MicroATX cases without modification.

got a real quick question ...

I bought one of these and put all of my existing parts from my old machine into a Lanbox Lite and was wondering if there is a updated list of coolers that work with it, because I was eyeing the Zalman CNPS9700 NT, but I can't see it fitting inside the Lanbox.

Well, I can't speak on the CNPS9700 NT, but I have it's younger brother, the CNPS9500 AM2 mounted up without ANY mounting issues..

DSCN9443.jpg

Hi all,

I just put together a system for a server with this motherboard (P5E-VM) and as a rule I always disable sound since I don't need it. Well, after reading some of the issues others have had with installing soundcards and disabling sound in the bios, I decided to do a little experiment.

I have only memory and the processor attached to the motherboard. No hard drive, no soundcard, nothing else. I have bios version 0405 installed. When I disable sound, my boot process gets stuck at NVRAM check every time. I go back into the bios and enable sound and it boots perfectly.

I think it is safe to say that this is strictly a bios bug and has nothing to do with actually putting a soundcard into a system or incompatiblity with any particular soundcard. Just thought everyone might want to know.

I have bios 0301 installed (it came preinstalled with my mobo) and I've disabled the sound in the bios and it doesn't hang on boot... so I think it's possibly only a 0405 bios issue.

Yup, you're right. 0301 does not have this problem. Just 0405. My board came with 0301 and disabling sound didn't matter. The system still booted up just fine. Clearly, Asus needs to fix this by issuing a new bios.

Yup, you're right. 0301 does not have this problem. Just 0405. My board came with 0301 and disabling sound didn't matter. The system still booted up just fine. Clearly, Asus needs to fix this by issuing a new bios.

Yes I agree that it is a problem with the 0405 bios as this used to work just fine. I'm sure quite a few people actually use sound cards and would normally disable the m/b sound - but it looks like they missed it in their testing. I am actually a bit relieved that someone else has the same problem indicating that it's likely not my board, but a pure bios issue. Quite annoying and I hope they fix it in the next bios release.

I'm running the same 0301 BIOS that came pre-loaded on my board as well.. I've only been up for a few days but I am pretty happy with it.. Are there any known issues with this BIOS version? Anything I need to know about this BIOS?

The only reason I updated to 0405 is because I'm using a new Core 2 Duo 8400 processor. 0301 doesn't support it. If I needed sound, I'd be peeved that the latest bios screws up my ability to add a soundcard. I don't know what else 0405 does besides the new processor support.

I think you can leave the onboard sound enabled and add an expansion card for sound as well... you'd just have to choose your primary in/out in your sound settings. afaik, it's only disabling the onboard sound with 0405 that causes the memory hang.

Like it was said you can choose the default sound device in windows and it usually won't conflict. I've had three sound devices on my pc before, one being a usb headset's usb sound device. You can also try to disable the onboard device in windows. It will load with the system bios but then be disabled in the OS at least.

I am hopefully starting to build my new rig tomorrow when my P5E-VM HDMI is due to arrive. I am using a 45nm cpu so I will need to update the bios to the latest immediately.

I'm using both the on-board and X-Fi and its working pretty well.
I have the on-board set as the default input and output devices. When I plug in the front-end headphones, it works. When there is nothing plugged in the front-panel, the speakers connected to the X-Fi works. The only thing is you cannot switch input/output while the game is running. Seems like the input/output is selected when you launch the program.

Its true that the sound device is often selected at launch of a program, but some programs (like winamp) and games (like WoW, CoD4), and game communication software(Ventrilo) allow you to choose the audio source from within the program settings on the fly too. I'm probably going to disable the onboard sound from within windows myself.

I just got my P5E-VM HDMI delivery as I got home just now. I have to get the bios downloaded and ready for it when I start to build the computer later on tonight.

If I'm not mistaken doesnt a 8400 work on a 301 BIOS. its just not officially supported, correct?

im just wondering if u need a compactible cpu to update the bios of the P5E-VM HDMI
or can u just use the new Q9450 directly and then update ??

btw is there any more info about the release date of the new G45 chipset motherboard when its coming out will that be around april or later ?

im just wondering if u need a compactible cpu to update the bios of the P5E-VM HDMI
or can u just use the new Q9450 directly and then update ??

btw is there any more info about the release date of the new G45 chipset motherboard when its coming out will that be around april or later ?

No new info yet. It'll get its own thread most likely when it does. The users here are pretty good about giving each mobo its own thread. The good mobos anyway. Those that are not so good sorta get ignored and kinda fade into oblivion.

It's been a while since I last posted in this thread...
The last time I reported about my replacement CPU QX9650 that I eventually had to RMA because it had problem with temperature readings, some cores didn't change during idle/load... anyway got a new replacement today and it's a newer batch but still V40 L740B299... hopefully this one will be ok :) will report back with results....

well i joined the P5E-VM HDMI club aswell i couldnt stand the itch anymore hehe just hope i can update the bios without having to buy first a compactible cpu caus that would ****
posting pics when its in my lanbox and ready for use...

I've been seeing using P5E VM for about two weeks.

After observing this thread, I did also experience the Vista resume problem. I did not use an external sound card so cannot really say about BIOS 0403.

However after calling ASUS they send me version 0502, and Vista can resume properly. However I didn't find any overclocking improvement on this release..

So if you guys experience Vista resume problem, write to ASUS to get the 0502 BIOS.

Current System:
CPU: Q9450 @ 3.5G (438*8)
RAM: DDR2 @ 1051, 2GB
HD: Seagate 500GB
Graphic: 8800GT 512MB

I've also built a system for my friend using P5K-VM, and when using same CPU (E8300), I found the P5K-VM to be a better overclocker than P5E-VM.. Quite surprise to me as the BIOS option in P5K-VM is very limited..

Same CPU: E8300, 1.23v, 4G stable Orthos 1hour on P5K-VM, need 1.25v 4G stable for P5E-VM ~`~?????

Back