Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

CPU-Z reports VCore on stock to be 1.216V ~ 1.208V. Running Orthos load test drops the VCore down to 1.176V ~ 1.168V. Temps reported by RealTemp are are 41C @ idle and 59C @ load ( 1 hour of ORTHOS )

So I need to get VCore above 1.216V for starters, perhaps I raise it cautiously until CPU-Z reports so...

Okay 1.176V isn't too bad of a voltage for 3.0GHz, although on the lower end of the spectrum. temps also look fine. I would perform the VDroop mod on your mobo, so you can get further stability.

Okay 1.176V isn't too bad of a voltage for 3.0GHz, although on the lower end of the spectrum. temps also look fine. I would perform the VDroop mod on your mobo, so you can get further stability.

Oh that was for stock speed (2.5GHz), to find out what voltage was applied when set to AUTO in the BIOS. Right now I am running OCCT at VCORE (BIOS) = 1.3650v and FSB @ 400MHz. CPU-Z reports VCORE as 1.25v under load. The voltage droop is bad on this mobo :(

Looks like I really need to do the VDroop mod as you suggested ...

Update: looks like a 3GHz OC is stable for 1.365V @ 400 MHz FSB. I will try to search for highest possible OC at this voltage, but even if it goes only to 3.3 GHz, I am a happy person ;)

Oh that was for stock speed (2.5GHz), to find out what voltage was applied when set to AUTO in the BIOS. Right now I am running OCCT at VCORE (BIOS) = 1.3650v and FSB @ 400MHz. CPU-Z reports VCORE as 1.25v under load. The voltage droop is bad on this mobo :(

Looks like I really need to do the VDroop mod as you suggested ...

Update: looks like a 3GHz OC is stable for 1.365V @ 400 MHz FSB. I will try to search for highest possible OC at this voltage, but even if it goes only to 3.3 GHz, I am a happy person ;)

Eek, i think somethign else is going on with your CPU. Looks to need a lot of voltage for such a low overclock. Also keep in mind that voltage range for Q9300 is 0.85V – 1.3625V, so don't push it too much!

I'm about to pick up this board. I've always wanted to build a matx, and I just did. Gonna look to build a second one with this board :)

Eek, i think somethign else is going on with your CPU. Looks to need a lot of voltage for such a low overclock. Also keep in mind that voltage range for Q9300 is 0.85V – 1.3625V, so don't push it too much!

Ouch ! 1.3650V is already over 1.3625V :( And that too for a measly 3.0GHz OC. Maybe this is a dud CPU - just the luck of the draw I guess. On the other hand, for some reason, every CPU I have ever purchased in Finland has been a bad overclocker ...

Ouch ! 1.3650V is already over 1.3625V :( And that too for a measly 3.0GHz OC. Maybe this is a dud CPU - just the luck of the draw I guess. On the other hand, for some reason, every CPU I have ever purchased in Finland has been a bad overclocker ...

Try the VDroop mod and see if you get better results. Possibly voltage isn't stable on your mobo necessitating high VCore...what PSU do you have again?

Hi,

This is my first post on the site. I recently built up my first HTPC using the ASUS P5E VM HDMI mobo. I would like to only connect one display to the HTPC and have a HDMI switch box that switches my Tivo Series III and my Blu-ray player to my 50" Plasma TV. It would be nice to switch the HTPC video through the same box but I cannot figure out how to make the HDMI port my primary video port. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

This is my first post on the site. I recently built up my first HTPC using the ASUS P5E VM HDMI mobo. I would like to only connect one display to the HTPC and have a HDMI switch box that switches my Tivo Series III and my Blu-ray player to my 50" Plasma TV. It would be nice to switch the HTPC video through the same box but I cannot figure out how to make the HDMI port my primary video port. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

There's an option in the BIOS under the Northbridge setting to enable the IGP as primary bootup. The rest you can control via Windows display properties.

Thanks S_T. Wouldn't the IGP/Primary bootup be enabled already if the IGP VGA port comes up fine? In terms of Display properties I looked pretty hard for a 'swap displays' setting and could not find it.

Got my Q9300 up to 3.6 Ghz:

36Ghz.jpg

VDroop modded, and Vcore doesn't waiver one bit. I've sinked the MOSFETS and put a TT Sprite II NB cooler. I'm pretty much using Officer Martinez' BIOS settings (thanks btw).

I could probably hit 500 FSB with a little more voltage.

Thanks S_T. Wouldn't the IGP/Primary bootup be enabled already if the IGP VGA port comes up fine? In terms of Display properties I looked pretty hard for a 'swap displays' setting and could not find it.

Yes it should. I haven't done the dual display yet, but remember a setting for it somewhere (maybe the Intel utility). I'll double check tonight when i get home.

MAssive - Nice overclock there! ;)

will a 9800gtx fit on this motherboard
- i think that the sata ports might be covered

VDroop modded, and Vcore doesn't waiver one bit. I've sinked the MOSFETS and put a TT Sprite II NB cooler. I'm pretty much using Officer Martinez' BIOS settings (thanks btw).

I could probably hit 500 FSB with a little more voltage.

Sweet! Nice O/C indeed MassiveOverkill !!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is a NEW graphics card and I will have my Vapochill LS up and running again with the P5E-VM HDMI's bigger brother (the P5K-E)!

btw i have a microfly and i did the almost the same exact mod as massive overkill
i used the mascool heatsink (which i already had) and cut that bar like u did

-now my temps are very low

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is anyone running a PCI-E RAID card in the PCI-E 16x slot? I plan to possibly get this board for a server/storage PC and would run video off the onboard and storage off a PCI-E 4x or 8x RAID card.

I love this board. Works great with the new e7200 out of box. Updating BIOS to 505 was easy with USB thumb drive and the EZ Flash option. Any memory recommendations for overclocking the e7200 stability ? I have 2x1gb Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800 sticks.

Sweet! Nice O/C indeed MassiveOverkill !!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is a NEW graphics card and I will have my Vapochill LS up and running again with the P5E-VM HDMI's bigger brother (the P5K-E)!

Thanks bud. Can't wait to get my hands on an X3550 or Q9450. Thanks again for the voltage settings.

Do you think you could fit a 9800GTX + a sound card?

I'm seriously considering this.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get both a 9800GTX and a sound card running on the P5E-VM HDMI...

I mean, even if the GTX takes up two slots, you'll still have both a PCI-E and PCI slot free, so you can even choose your sound card model accordingly. You only need to disable on-board sound to keep incompatibilities and IRQ sharing to a minimum - though I don't really know how sound pass-through to HDMI will work that way...

Unless, of course, you have a very restrictive case, but in that case your problem will probably be the GPU, not the sound card... hehe

Cheers.

Miguel

I have a small mATX case and a 8800GTX. I can fit a network card in the PCI slot, since it is low profile, it doesn't block the airflow for the GTX. But you can fit something into the PCI slot even if you install a 9800GTX there

I need some help with a conservative OC with this mobo. Not too much of an expert on the issue!

I can separately:
get Ram (Ballistix Tracer 2x1GB 800) to run at 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 @ 1.88v
get E8400 to 3.6GHz (400 FSB) @ 1.2125v

But if I try to apply both at the same time I don't get a post. I tried to bump each voltage a couple of steps up, but still no go. I didn't try to change anything else because I'm not sure what to try next.

So what's next? :confused:

Long time since I've signed onto here...

I cannot for the life of me get a wireless card working in the single PCI slot on this motherboard. The wireless card(s) work on another computer. It is a D-Link DWL-AG530 with an Atheros chipset.

It would always hard-lock when installing the driver or not detect the card at all. I've tried different BIOS revisions, stripping the configuration down, and even changing the motherboard entirely. Any ideas?

i reinstalled my os to vista 64bit and i got FSB working again at fsb 500 with the 9800GX2 card, don't know if the 0505 bios did the trick or the reinstall of the os.
btw, i also installed an prelude X-Fi 7.1 sound card and it it rocks!.
the prelude and the gx2 card is a tight setup on the motherboard but there is no problems, it doesn't cover upp the air holes on the gx2 in any way :cool:
also changed the chassis to a Zalman GT-1000 :D

trent: try over clocking the cpu and memory at different times, for example first over clock the cpu to a stable over clock, then remove the over clock for the cpu and then do the memory over clock. and then combine the result(it might be a little lover when combined )

trent: try over clocking the cpu and memory at different times, for example first over clock the cpu to a stable over clock, then remove the over clock for the cpu and then do the memory over clock. and then combine the result(it might be a little lover when combined )
That's what I did, got the Rams to a stable OC, then set them back to Auto, then OCed the CPU alone and got it stable ... but when I combine my 2 stable settings (for Ram and CPU) it doesn't even post.

I don't want to mess with voltages of other components haphazardly because I'm not really sure what I should try from this point on. That's why I'm seeking some guidance :D

I don't think an E8400 @3.6G and Rams at 1000MHz, is asking too much ... it should be doable, just not sure how

That's what I did, got the Rams to a stable OC, then set them back to Auto, then OCed the CPU alone and got it stable ... but when I combine my 2 stable settings (for Ram and CPU) it doesn't even post.

I don't want to mess with voltages of other components haphazardly because I'm not really sure what I should try from this point on. That's why I'm seeking some guidance :D

I don't think an E8400 @3.6G and Rams at 1000MHz, is asking too much ... it should be doable, just not sure how

i am running my setup(my sig) in 8*500FSB (4Ghz) and memory in 1001mhz 5-5-5-15
what happens if you run for example 500 FSB and 7x on the cpu(3.5ghz), does it work then?
it could be a combination of your lower FSB vs memory settings that doesn't work.
(to do 500FSB you cant use the built in gfx card)

oops ... I'll have to wait to get a gfx card before I try that ... thanx for your help

are u running fsb 400 and the built in graphics card ?
i think i read some review that said dont go over fsb 375 because that will over clock the internal graphics card to much, creating artifacts and such.
is the north bridge very hot? :D

are u running fsb 400 and the built in graphics card ?
i think i read some review that said dont go over fsb 375 because that will over clock the internal graphics card to much, creating artifacts and such.
is the north bridge very hot? :D
Yes I'm running on the built-in gfx for now. I wasn't aware that it OC's automatically with the FSB.

It was running fine at 400FSB while I was testing it. Didn't notice any artifacts but then again I didn't do anything that is remotely graphics intensive. I didn't try to see how hot the northbridge's heatsink got.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get a dedicated gfx card before I can try again.

Thanx again! :D

Yes I'm running on the built-in gfx for now. I wasn't aware that it OC's automatically with the FSB.

It was running fine at 400FSB while I was testing it. Didn't notice any artifacts but then again I didn't do anything that is remotely graphics intensive. I didn't try to see how hot the northbridge's heatsink got.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get a dedicated gfx card before I can try again.

Thanx again! :D

RUNAWAYPRISONER on another forum has his P5E-VM HDMI overclock to 475+ with the G35 IGP with no issues. My friend has his up to ~425 without any issues. You may want to run the Nothbridge Vcc up a bit from stock though to account for the higher speeds.

hi guys, I just bought this mobo for my htpc build. i installed an x-fi card for the audio, but i get some pretty bad distortion unless i lower the wave level's to something under 20% or so. the xfi was working perfectly on my gaming rig, wasn't sure if there's a known problem with this board or if i should look somewhere else for a solution? Thanks again, this thread was a lot of help in picking my matx board and setting it up :)

Is there any way to fix the bug after I Oced my spec, restart abnormally, the screen just keeping black, no signal, and I have to manually shutdown the machine. After rebooting a message said your oc failed. How can I get rid of this boring situation.

I think this topic must be talked in this thread. Can you guys do me a favor? Thank you in advance!

My spec:

Asus P5E-VM HDMI BIOS 0505
E2140 G0 @ 3.2ghz (fsb:400)
Kingston 1gbx2 5-5-5-15 @ 1.80v 960mhz
HD2400pro
ST 250G ES2 x 1
WinXP + MAC OS X + Vista

Is there any way to fix the bug after I Oced my spec, restart abnormally, the screen just keeping black, no signal, and I have to manually shutdown the machine. After rebooting a message said your oc failed. How can I get rid of this boring situation.
You can't it is the safety feature of all ASUS boards, you may say thanks to this, otherwise in some situation you could have ended up with a board that would not start anymore.

trent : When I was having my E4300, I was not able to select DDR2-800 with 300FSB. But I had no problem with DDR2-900 settings, go figure! I thought the timings table were wrong in the BIOS or something.

Now that I have an E8400, I run 400FSB for 3.6GHz and no problem. I know I could get more out of it but I have no need really.

You can't it is the safety feature of all ASUS boards, you may say thanks to this, otherwise in some situation you could have ended up with a board that would not start anymore.

trent : When I was having my E4300, I was not able to select DDR2-800 with 300FSB. But I had no problem with DDR2-900 settings, go figure! I thought the timings table were wrong in the BIOS or something.

Now that I have an E8400, I run 400FSB for 3.6GHz and no problem. I know I could get more out of it but I have no need really.

U mean I oced too much on this board?
But everything in the system are stable, just the restart thing...
It seems to be wise to buy a better cpu for turely stable:(
Rhialto:Thanks anyway!

Trent,

If you are still having issue, try up RAM voltage to 2.2v. If I remember correctly when I had Tracers, it supports(by warranty) up to 2.2v. It might be possible that RAM just needs more v and if you can boot with that, slow can slowly trim v till the point it's stable and low enough so you don't kill your Tracer prematurely which lots of people seem to have issue with. Also, if you have plan to upgrade your ram to 4x1GB, check your RAM. If parts number on RAM(I think it's part #) is like xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxx not xxxxxxxxxxxx then you most likely won't be able to OC much if not at all. I had 4x1GB that was xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx and couldn't OC at much at all and found out some of Asus mobo have issue with Ballistix that are xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxx but not with xxxxxxxxxxxx. It could also be that you need more v for NB. check this two and see how it goes.

Xanthos9

Try this

JumperFree Configuration:
Ai Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 9.0
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
FSB Frequency: 333
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency:
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
--DRAM CAS# Latency: 5
--DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha: 15 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM Write Recovery Time: Auto
--DRAM TRFC: Auto
--DRAM TWTR: Auto
--DRAM TRRD: Auto
--DRAM TRTP: Auto

Clock Over-charging Mode: Lowest Setting

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.45v
CPU Voltage Reference: Auto
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
PLL Voltage: Lowest Setting
DRAM Voltage: MFG Recommanded
FSB Termination Voltage: Lowest Setting
North Bridge Voltage: Auto
North Bridge Voltage Reference: Auto
South Bridge Voltage: Lowest Setting

CPU Configuration:
CPU Ratio Control: Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting: 9
C1E Support: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
Excute Disable Bit: Enabled

Chipset:
Memory Remap Feature: Enabled
Initiate Graphic Adapter: PEG/PCI
Internal Graphics Mode Select: Disabled
PEG Port Control: Auto
PEG Port Force x1: Disabled

PS. Chipset setting is only if you use PCI-e grahics card.

I think this is my setting which I'm running 3.4Ghz but 1-2 might be different(I'm at work now so I can't double check)

of course FSB, vcore and etc will be different than yours. If it is stable with this setting, trim your vcore till it's not and up one notch. Once you got that right, tighten your RAM timing and once that's done, try lowering RAM voltage like what you did with vcore. If anything like mine, you would have vdrop and vroop total of close to .2v but real vcore should be around 1.225 for 3Ghz to be stable unless you have high VID CPU or CPU that just don't wanna OC high.

Can someone help me overclock a q6600 to 3.0 Ghz on this mobo

How is the integrated video on this baby? Does it cooperate with Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 [H]ardy Heron) well?

;) (yes, the [H] was a joke)

Back