ASUS P5N-E SLI or MSI P6N SLI-F?

I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI board.
C2D e6600 CPU
2GB Corsair 6400C4
ArcticCooling FreezerPro7
Current OC to 3.1 Ghz with memory unlinked and running at 800Hz
Temps are 39C under full 3D load.
Very easy to OC,I have it running SLI with 2 7900 GTX
I know I can go over 3.1 with Vcore increase but havent had the time. My current OC is otherwise stock except for FSB adjustment.
There is a review of this board on [H]enthusiast, last month.
I like this board alot. I also have the P5N32-E SLI board which is built around the 680i chipset, the P5N-E is a 650i chipset. In reality not much difference from a BIOS standpoint, both OC exceptionally.

I had a P5N-E SLI. It didn't work with my 7600GS, so I sent it back. I have also heard that it had issues with the 7950GX2, so I think it has some sort of intermittent hardware issues with some video cards.

I have a P6N SLI-FI coming in tomorrow night.

I don't think there's a lot of people with the MSI board to make a definitive judgment yet. The Asus has been out for a while, so there's probably more info available for you with that board. With the MSI you'd probably be on your own for a few weeks until more people get it and start playing with it.

I had a P5N-E SLI. It didn't work with my 7600GS, so I sent it back. I have also heard that it had issues with the 7950GX2, so I think it has some sort of intermittent hardware issues with some video cards.

I have a P6N SLI-FI coming in tomorrow night.
Link to the 7950GX2 issues with the P5N-E SLI please? I have that exact combo, zero issues.

I decided to go with the ASUS, mainly because people already have it, and I know that it'll be a good board. I didn't want to buy the MSI and it be a horrible overclocker, or have a bunch of problems.

Asus FTW!

I have a P5N-E SLI and it rocks. Love the TWO IDE ports as well as the 4 sata ports. The IDE ports were very important as I'm still running 3 ata drives and didn't want to waste money on sata drives.

I have my E6600 overclocked to 3.4 easily and could go higher (and have) but there's no point for everyday use. It flies @ 3.4.

My brother also has it and he oced his e6300 from 1.86 to 3.2 (75% oc) and the board loves it :). No problems. The highest FSB I've reached is 516 but I've heard there is a mod to get more voltage to the NB.

Also the 650i is very similar to the 680i minus dual lan ports, automatic bios sli option, 3rd pci-e slot, so it's a very good board. I have a 7600gt and my brother had a 7600gts and both worked flawlessly. He's running a 7900GS SLI set up and again no problems. Awesome board adn love the colors.

I've been running a P5N-E SLI for about a week now and would not trade it.

Be warned it does experience a serious vDroop the higher voltage you go. Its the main reason my E4300 is stuck at 3.2Ghz, till I vDroop mod the thing.

If someone can provide nice pics of a vdroop mod on a P5N-E SLI it would be greatly appreciated.

Link to the 7950GX2 issues with the P5N-E SLI please? I have that exact combo, zero issues.

There was a guy posting on all the boards that he couldn't get his to work... Can't remember the name, will find out when I get home.

Just got my P5NE-SLI on Tuesday and have been struggling to get a stable overclock out of it. Before I assembled the system I reapplied the northbridge thermal compund and added a Zalman heatsink to the southbridge. After some testing I measured the NB heatsink at 60C, so I mounted a 40mm fan on it, which brought temperatures down to about 44C. The CPU is using a Zalman CNPS9500 with AS5.

I started my OC by setting my Corsair XMS2-6400 to 533MHz with loose timings and running up the FSB as high as I could. I got my E6400 to 3.2GHz on a 400MHz FSB and that was with +100mV to the core. Without the voltage bump I could only get to 375MHz FSB. Even at the highest OC, the CPU read 45C in Speedfan.

Next I started bumping up the memory speed and tightening down the timings on it. This is the part that is killing me. I can't get the RAM any higher than 666MHz @ 4-4-4-12-2T with 2.1V. I have the RAM and FSB speeds unlocked so I know that I am not affecting the FSB. In fact, I have tried increasing the NB voltage and loosening the timings and I can't get past 750MHz @ 6-8-8-18-2T. I have disabled the EPP (SLI Memory Mode) so that I could manually set the timing parameters. If I enable EPP, the motherboard sets the timings very aggressively and it won't even POST reliably.

I think this board requires very good memory for a stable overclock... I'm thinking I should have gotten a 965P based motherboard instead :rolleyes:

Installed my P6N SLI (is this the official name? have also seen P6N SLI-FI). Works great. Haven't tried overclocking just yet but the video card issue I had with the P5N-E SLI is gone.

Back