Asus P5WD2 CPU Temp readings way off?

Justin42

n00b
I have been trying to build a new system with a Pentium D 830 and Asus P5WD2 motherboard, and am seeing some crazy temperature readings. I am using the stock Intel cooler with AS5 (I had to switch from the Intel thermal pad due to issues with RMAing a DOA Gigabyte 955X Royal, the store I took it to removed the thermal pad).

Anyway, my system is idling at 69C (!), and under load only (!) goes up to 74/75C. If I only load 1 core, the CPU goes to about 71/72C. I just have a very basic setup right now with Windows 2000 (ancient SCSI card I am using as a placeholder won't let me install XP, no drivers), and an ATI Radeon X800XL. The case is an Antec 1080AMG, with a side fan (although not the official "thermally advantaged" type of case). I have 3 intake fans (2 front, 1 side), and 3 exhaust (2 rear, and PSU [PC Power and Cooling 510 SLI]). Room temp is about 27C (it's summer) and the mobo reports the internal temp is about 35-36C.

I am writing to see what anyone else with this board is seeing temp-wise, if you're running stock cooling...

I am using Folding@Home and 3dMark05 as stress tests. I ran 2 instances of F@H for 3+ hours last night; temps stayed at 74/75 the whole time and there were no signs of throttling in ThrottleWatch. CPU-Z shows both cores running at 3.0ghz. I see similar issues with a load of F@H on 1 core and 3dMark05 on the other. 74/75C seems to be the absolute ceiling, it won't seem to go above it.

I have found some other mentions from other sources with people having similar overheating issues; one board has a few guys who have RMA'd EVERYTHING and still see heat issues.
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/44470/?o=0
There is also a post on the Asus support forums with similar issues with the temps too high on this board.

I don't have a ton of experience troubleshooting thermal issues, but the fact it only goes up by 5-6C under full load from idle seems bizarre. I can't believe it's not throttling if these temps are for real, although I don't know if throttling works properly under Windows 2000 (or if it's a CPU/mobo thing that would happen no matter what the OS).

I have a replacement stock Intel thermal pad on its way to me, I'm not sure if I want to worry about installing it but I am wondering if the AS5 is on too thick (although I go back to the "only" 4-5C temp increase, seems like it would get warmer and warmer over time not being able to cool properly).

Basically-- it seems perfectly stable, although I haven't gone all out to finish building the system (as parts I want to use are in another much older, but stable machine--like an Atlas 15K SCSI drive, which I worry about adding that heat to the new system!) Should I be totally paranoid? Thanks for any help.. (Beyond "that's what you get for buying Intel!" At the time it was the only dual-core option, although it is taking so long to get this system at a point I am comfortable with I may as well Ebay it all and go AMD... :/ )

I just purchased the same board, and am using the stock Intel cooler.

I have noticed that the fan screams like crazy when I game (Throttling on the fan to compensate for more heat), but I have not had any instability issues.

Hmm my tempsare this: CPU=56*C (25% Load right now) and 34*C for Ambient. I wish they would be a bit lower, but I figured with having the stock Intel cooler on it. Too bad a Zalman won't fit...

Back