ASUS P7P55D Premium Information

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at ASUS sent us over a handful of pictures of the P7P55D Premium LGA1156 motherboard today, along with a spec sheet, so we thought we’d share. Featured on the P7P55D Premium (shown below) is Intel’s P55 Express chipset, true SATA 6Gb/s support, ASUS Hybrid Technology, TurboV EVO, TurboV Remote, T.Probe Technology for active cooling, ASUS Hybrid 32+3 Phase Power Design and Quad-GPU SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX support and much more.

*edited for clarification (the ASUS P7P55D Premium is the board detailed and shown)

Last edited:
Very interesting -- I wonder why they would color them blue otherwise....

When USB 3.0 starts shipping on mobo's I'm going i7/P55

What are the advantages of having so many power phases? Less Vdroop? More stable idle - load - idle transitions?

That will probably be my next board as long as it's reasonably priced. Otherwise, I might just go i7.

That will probably be my next board as long as it's reasonably priced. Otherwise, I might just go i7.

you mean x58 :p

There will be i7's on both x58/lga1366 AND on p55/lga1156.

Why do mobo manufacturers insist on putting PCI slots RIGHT NEXT to a graphics card slot that they know 90% of the time will be dual slot rendering one PCI slot unusable?

Why do mobo manufacturers insist on putting PCI slots RIGHT NEXT to a graphics card slot that they know 90% of the time will be dual slot rendering one PCI slot unusable?

Not everyone is a computer enthusiast and uses dual-slot video cards. Also, it's far better to put a PCI slot than a PCI-Express one these days, since more things are becoming available for PCI-E).

ASUS' mobo model numbers have got to be the worst out there... Now the P55 boards are gonna use P7* yet X58 mobos are P6*, heh.

What are the advantages of having so many power phases? Less Vdroop? More stable idle - load - idle transitions?

If ASUS were really using more phases, it would reduce voltage fluctuations: the power mosfets in each phase switch on and off, the filtering inductors and capacitors mostly (but not completely) eliminate this ripple. With multiple phases each switches with a slightly different time offset, thus when the phases are combined their switching ripple averaged out. Thus more phases allow cleaner power, or smaller (i.e. cheaper) inductors and capacitors.

However, this isn't a true 32 phase system - I believe it's 4 * 8, with 8 phases and 4 mosfet + inductor + capacitor sets for each phase. As such power ripple would be the same as a 24 phase (3 * 8), 16 phase (2 * 8) or 8 phase system. I'd guess the performance benefits of the additional pseudo-phases are:

• Higher maximum current rating (would only matter when using liquid nitrogen cooling)
  • Reduced operating temperatures for mosfets (allows improved durability and/or cheaper components)
  • May reduce total power consumption (but just a likely may increase it)

But the main benefit is that ASUS marketing can claim to have more phases (32) than Gigabyte (24). That's why alot of other manufacturers are sticking to 6 and 8 phase CPU power circuits.

This looks really interesting. Nice with SATA 6Gb/s support and especially that "32 phase power", I wonder also how much that will affect the price, though this was the premium model. This would most likely be something I would want/get.

Agreed having the PCI-E x1 slots under the PCI-E2.0 slot is stupid because almost every card out is dual slot now... I'm actualy having this exact issue right now. I want to buy an X-fi Titaium sound card but both my PCI-Ex1 slots and under my PCI-E2.0 slot. SO my first one is blocked by my cooling fan on my video card and the second one is free but it is really close to the fan as well.....Why can't they just move the stupid slots above instead of below?

Agreed having the PCI-E x1 slots under the PCI-E2.0 slot is stupid because almost every card out is dual slot now... I'm actualy having this exact issue right now. I want to buy an X-fi Titaium sound card but both my PCI-Ex1 slots and under my PCI-E2.0 slot. SO my first one is blocked by my cooling fan on my video card and the second one is free but it is really close to the fan as well.....Why can't they just move the stupid slots above instead of below?

My current mobo has it above, but the length of card that can be placed there is constrained by the northbridge heatsink, and I suspect that was an issue with a lot of boards so they just didn't bother putting the PCI-Ex1 slots there because it was limited.

Back