Asus P8P67-Pro USB Oddities causing lock ups

AARGH!

Gawd
I've suffered the double boot and various other problems with my Asus P8P67-Pro board, and some got relieved with the various BIOS updates provided by Asus on the forums here (greatly appreciated btw) but with 1253 Bios the system became nearly unuseable as it would either blackscreen or lock up in Windows not long after logging in. This was just trying to get it stable at stock speeds.

With the latest 1204 bios, I wanted to trouble shoot the two predominant problems I have been having with no overclocking:

1. Black screen/Flashing Cursor after BIOS screen
2. Random Windows 7 lock up usually minute or two after login

System specs are in sig, FYI.

I basically went through one at a time with each USB device, logged if it booted into Windows, and if I could run a session of Intel Burn Test, shut down, add new device, repeat.

BIOS settings were the following, rest were default:
OC Tuner: Manual
Bclk: 100
Turbo: Auto
Memory: 1600
Dram Voltage: 1.5

I also uninstalled AiSuite II and all Intel Drivers.

What I discovered is the following:
1. MX Revolution mouse, will cause lockups when using the latest Setpoint 6.2 drivers in Windows 7. Drivers uninstalled, lockups have ceased in Win7.
2. Belkin USB 7 port 2.0 Hub caused no keyboard to be detected by BIOS
3. UPS by Tripp-Lite causes Black Screen and flashing cursor

I had to do complete CMOS reset to get KB detected in BIOS with hub removed. So here is what did work via USB without issue:

1. Logitech G19 keyboard
2. Logitech G35 Headset
3. Microsoft LifeCam HD
4. Dell U2410 built-in card reader
5. Seagate FreeAgent 3TB USB3 (plugged in USB3 port)
6. Motorola Droid dock

My Logitech G13 is working, but Windows7 says there is no driver detected, but Logitech Gamepanel software detected it just fine. This may have always been a problem and I just never noticed before.

So for those who are still suffering Black-screen/flashing cursor, or random Windows 7 lock ups, try removing some of your extra USB devices and see if it helps. I have to say this board has it's peculiarities than any I have worked with before.

Here's hoping for another BIOS update that will clear up my USB issues.

If anyone has any similar occurences please add them. I think this might be another avenue that ASUS needs to explore in troubleshooting this board.

I will try loading up SetPoint 6.2 at some point over the weekend to see if it still happens, but want to get some time in on the PC while it is actually usable since I haven't been able to use it all week.

I too had issues with my logitech G15.. Windows would boot all the way to the desktop and it would take 15+ seconds then *finally* the keyboard would be detected and light up so I could use it! I got it to work as it should by moving it and the MX Rev (connected to my keyboard USB) to the USB3.0 ports instead of the 2.0!

I believe like you that USB needs some work with this board. Really flaky on how it inits/enumerates USB devices.

I finally have nice fast boots but it took quite a bit of troubleshooting to figure out what the hell was going on.

I have loaded setpoint6.2 just today and have noticed some desktop freezes/lockups.. but eventually the system would come back to be fully operational again. Will keep an eye out and if it continues will remove setpoint to see if it goes away.

Thanks for the tip..!

What I discovered is the following:
2. Belkin USB 7 port 2.0 Hub caused no keyboard to be detected by BIOS

Ahhh, THANK YOU !

I have the same problem and have PM'd Gary Key who has assured me that he will look into it. I have the Belkin N52te that causes this issue. I PM'd Gary tonight asking for an update.

BTW, I've had the best luck with Setpoint 4.80.

GL with your other issues.

I decided to try a different mouse with Setpoint 6 and picked up a G700. It ran fine without drivers, then installed latest Setpoint still ran fine, powered down, booted and still running fine.

Bizarre is all I got to say..

I have the exact same issue: having the tripp lite Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) plugged into any USB port stalls the boot process after post (right when windows should load). I can plug it in after the boot and the device functions normally. I have booting to ANY device except the primary HD disabled... also flashed the latest bios... nada.

I just got off the phone with ASUS and they have no work-around. I had the same issue before & after I RMA'd the board (from the intel chipset issue), and it has the same problem. :(

Last edited:
I'll take a wild stab at this
The UPS does active line filtering to supress spikes/surges, and you need the surges to go thru to start USB heavy use device

just a guess tho

I'll take a wild stab at this
The UPS does active line filtering to supress spikes/surges, and you need the surges to go thru to start USB heavy use device

just a guess tho

Hi,

This is not related to an AC surge via the UPS in any way.

It may be worth setting the wake options in UEFI to enabled and see if that helps (this will increase the 5VSB current)

It is also possible that the USB of the UPS is not fully compliant - some devices leak DC back into the ports (some self powered hubs are guilty of this also) and this can cause problems with start up and S3 resume.

-Raja

I am already using the on the wake up options (under APM). You could be right about the powered device leaking DC, though... is there a way to test and/or prevent it?

DC leaks notwithstanding, I have never had this issue on any other motherboard until now, and these types of devices evidently do exist on the market... might be something for ASUS to think about.

Back