Asus Rampage II Gene Audio Out

I don't own this motherboard so I'm not certain, but looking at some picture of it, it looks like there is an S/PDIF out on it.

Does your receiver have an S/PDIF in? If so, I would think that this is the easiest way to connect it to your system.

The optical cable will probably be cheaper and more readily available as well.

EDIT: You said analog cable....nevermind.

Even if he has S/PDIF, which he does indeed, most motherboard don't support Dolby Digital Live, or DTS Connect. So that's gonna leave him stuck with Stereo (2.0) audio. That's not good, and going analog is his only solution.

Unfortunately, that cable will NOT work. That is intended for older X-Fi cards with only 3 jacks, therefore they need that special cable. Instead, you need 4x 3.5mm to 2RCA cables. Each cable gives you 2 channels, so make sure you get 4 cables to get all 8 channels of 7.1.

Good Luck.

The motherboard can't even send out a PCM signal to the receiver for it to spread to 7.1?

The motherboard can't even send out a PCM signal to the receiver for it to spread to 7.1?
Yes and No.
It will send PCM, but only 2.0 PCM. That is the limit of the optical or coaxial connection. Of course, he can upmix that to 7.1 in the receiver with Pro Logic IIx, but that will be fake 7.1. Simulated 7.1 sounds good for music, but is definitely not ideal for movies or games. The only way to go higher than 2.0, is to compress it into DD or DTS, and only then can you send up to 5.1. But to convert it, he needs DDL or DTS Connect, which his onboard sound in the motherboard probably doesn't support.
The only way to send anything higher than 2.0 PCM without converting it into DD or DTS, is using a HDMI connection, which supports 7.1. But since he doesn't have that either, analog is his only option.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I just wanted to mention for those that may view this post trying to solve a similiar problem.

If you do end up buying the cables linked above. The end of the cables are very thick and you will have problems getting them into 3.5mm audio jacks since the jacks are so close together. The rubber molding is just very large.

I ended up buying some extensions that have narrow moldings in order to get two of the 4 cables correctly connected (Belkin Stereo Extension Cable).

Last edited:
Yea, I guess I didn't think about that. Onboard jacks are indeed closer together than in a regular soundcard.

Back