Asus Rampage III - Intel NIC "Unidentified Network"

nsx241

Gawd
I'm having a strange issue with the Intel NIC (Intel 82567-V2) on this board. I have all the updated drivers (including Intel NIC version 10.1.9.0) on bios 0802.

Whenever I game for a few hours, my network connection is lost, and I get an "unidentified network" error message on the adapter. The only way to restore network connection again is to power cycle the machine (i.e., shutdown, then turn off power supply, then everything back on again). Some examples are Mass Effect 2, Starcraft 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2.

My network itself though is still fine as everything else works, including my voip phone and wireless, which makes me think that there's something wrong with the NIC.

I don't think anything's overheating as I have the cpu and board on water, and stress testing never causes this issue. This issue is reproducible on both stock settings as well. There's also nothing in the windows event view log that indicates anything is wrong.

At this point, I'm out of ideas other than to RMA the board.

Sounds like the NIC is going bad but there's no way I do an RMA hassle for that.

I buy these cheap Intel NICs that go from machine to machine.

if you can live with out your system I would rma it if you are going to resell it later on, if not just buy a cheap nic. Or buy a new pc! (lol my nf4 nic not working in windows 7 gave me a reason to build a new pc)

Have you verified that it isn't your router that is going bad?

Have you tried using a different port on your router?

Have you tried power cycling the router?

Do you have the latest firmware for your router?

What router do you have?

Does the same thing happen if you have your computer hooked directly up to the modem? Unless of course the router is built into the modem.

I've had exactly the same problem meself, I've read somewhere about it. I have multiple PCs on my computer all running different OSs, I only experience the problem if I have my Vista machine and both W7 systems running at the same time. So I just removed IPv6 support out of the Vista machine, and problem was gone. I did get it a few more times but a lot less often. And since I removed IPv6 support entirely out of all my Vista and W7 systems, I haven't had the problem anymore.

Apparently it's something about me router that doesn't like IPv6.

But the scenario could be different for you...gud luck !

I've had exactly the same problem meself, I've read somewhere about it. I have multiple PCs on my computer all running different OSs, I only experience the problem if I have my Vista machine and both W7 systems running at the same time. So I just removed IPv6 support out of the Vista machine, and problem was gone. I did get it a few more times but a lot less often. And since I removed IPv6 support entirely out of all my Vista and W7 systems, I haven't had the problem anymore.

Apparently it's something about me router that doesn't like IPv6.

But the scenario could be different for you...gud luck !

That seems like a common thread regarding ipv6 beingthe issue. However, some features of windows 7 require ipv6 like homegroup, though it's not something I use currently. The other suggestions involve turning off Apple Bonjour service. This "dropped internet connection" issue seems like a common thing floating around, though there is no solution so far that seems to work for everyone.

Likely, it's some combination of OS, NIC, and router that causes it.

hey dude... I was having a similar issue...

I fixed it by turning off the auto-negotiation and setting it to 1000 Mbps full duplex

Seems like the router is the culprit or the firmware. On the latest firmware, after 5 min of starcraft 2, I would lose connection. I downgraded to an earlier version, was able to play for a couple hours before it went down.

Now I've got dd-wrt running on it, and so far no drops. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Back