asus rt-ac66r connect at N

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
ok so my asus router asus rt-ac66r works fine. All seems well.. cells, ipad, ipod, etc connect.

I just installed windows 8.1 onto my hp touchsmart. I got it connected at G speed... but the wireless card says it is capable of N.. so my router is capable of AC so N is in there...

I have profiles for each..
in the router I setup the 2.4 and 5.0 name specific as
RiggsFamily2.5 and RiggsFamily2.5

my touchsmart sees the 2.4 and is good.. but connects at 54mb.. im guessing 5ghz is n speed?

what I goota do to get full N speed? this will be a PC in an area for the kids to do homework where the wife can watch and no way to run a cable. I prefer cable unless a cell phone or ipad/android tablet...

Keep in mind that even with N or AC you won't always get the theoretical maximum, even when the two devices are right next to each other. More distance and/or interference and it gets even worse.

Both bands are supported via 802.11n and 802.11ac with that router.

The 5GHz band will likely have less interference where you live, but is often slower than 2.4GHz, even at the same distances. If you don't have problems with interference (like too many wireless routers in your area) you might just want to stick to 2.4GHz.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that even with N or AC you won't always get the theoretical maximum, even when the two devices are right next to each other. More distance and/or interference and it gets even worse.

Both bands are supported via 802.11n and 802.11ac with that router.

The 5GHz band will likely have less interference where you live, but is often slower than 2.4GHz, even at the same distances. If you don't have problems with interference (like too many wireless routers in your area) you might just want to stick to 2.4GHz.

gotcha..i dont see 5ghz either....

Also, it's very important to keep drivers up to date.
//Danne

I think this is gonna be where it is at.
The machine is a HP TouchSmart IQ507 running Windows 8.1. Everything is running great. Even the touchscreen.i am using it right now.

I am using the MS driver and not sure what driver to use so that maybe it... any assistance appreciated...
I am 15' from the router...

touch by TeleFragger / RootBreaker, on Flickr

the app showing the wireless up above is that I ran a .exe from ralink hoping it would load drivers.. ill keep plugging at it..thanks..

In the general wireless section of the router did you set the 2.4 ghz wireless mode to N only?

From your screen shots it does not look like you have "N" enabled and broadcasting in your router.

Back