Asus TOP 9600GT HDMI->DVI Problem

coolie_d

2[H]4U
Problem:

ASUS 9600GT TOP (720Mhz OC'ed edition) hooked to Toshiba 42HM66 42" 720p DLP HDTV refuses to work correctly at refresh rates above 50Hz (as opposed to 60Hz expected); symptom of problem is a dramatic color shift i.e. whites appear flourescent pink. Colors display as expected at 50Hz, but most games tend to offer 60Hz and above, thus making them unplayable under Vista Business x86...... Rig is one in sig listed as Rig #2 - solved issue by using component video instead of HDMI, and saw no appreciable quality loss (not concerned with HDCP); but I am just curious as to what the root cause of the issue might be, i.e. HDMI handshake problem, etc.? (BTW it's actually easier to use the BIOS screens over component, as the HDMI hookup overscans quite a bit and the text is hard to read, also the colors are shifted in the setup screens as these run at 60Hz, Component scales to a window in the middle of the screen with a grey border and fills the screen once Vista begins to log in, colors are correct at all times with 60Hz refresh rate and Guitar Hero 3 is once more a possibility!)

In the NVIDIA control panel, are you setting the resolution to run at 720p? There should be an option that allows a user to choose from regular resolutions (running at 60Hz) or running at the HD resolutions (I believe run at 24, 25, 30, 50, and 60Hz). If you are setting the resolution to 1280x720, this may be messing up the signal since your 720p HDTV may run at 24Hz, not 50 or 60. Just a guess though. Good luck.

Back