Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

Thanks for the timely review Vega.

I went ahead and opened mine and WOW, it really does feel like my FW900. I haven't tried a game yet but it's down right eerie seeing 2d text move without going blurry.

Does DisplayPort 1.2 support 144Hz? Do I need a second graphics card to run my second one at 144Hz?

You cannot connect a 2nd display to a 2nd grapics card with an AMD card as far as I know. That is a Nvidia only thing. I cannot get mine to run past 120Hz without freezing in game using a mini displayport to displayport 1.1 cable. I have some 1.2 cables on the way to do further testing.

Hdmi cannot do 120Hz either on this monitor. At least in the quick start guide it says it isn't supported. I think the only way to get 120Hz on this monitor is with a straight displayport or DVI-D connection. In the manual it also says that 144Hz is only supported on this monitor using a DVI-D connection with a compatible Nvidia GPU.

I am currently kinda sponsored by AMD and this is kinda tough not being able to use lightboost and 144Hz :-/ . I'm going to also test out a displayport to dual link dvi active adapter this weekend to see if I can get a single monitor to run @ 144Hz and if so I might order 2 more adapters. But for now it is running very good @ 120Hz @ 5760 x 1080p with my 2 MSI 7970 Lightnings.

In the manual it also says that 144Hz is only supported on this monitor using a DVI-D connection with a compatible Nvidia GPU.

Is this true? I'm currently running dual AMD 5850s and would like to be able to select 144hz...

Great review, Vega!

I would be very interested in hearing how it goes if you decide to remove the matte antiglare coating and apply a protective clear coating on the screen. I really like glossy screens as well for their extra brightness and clarity.

vp9hs9.jpg

When 3D is enabled my fps drops to almost nothing. The screen shot shows 2.8 FPS. When I hit ctrl-T to turn the 3D effect off my FPS goes back to normal. The same thing happens with both beta and whql drivers from Nvidia. I am running gtx570 is SLI and I tried running just 1 card to see if that was the issue. I am at a loss at this point.

Back on topic. The screen once calibrated a little bit is pretty awesome. I had the older 23" version and while I preferred the glossy screen it is not a deal breaker.

Vega,

Would you mind posting your Spyder calibrated Nvidia settings? Thanks.

Not sure how helpful it will be as there are too many variables (like Mark's setting didn't work on mine nor did I expect them to). Not only that, but different Lightboost brightness changes the settings. Here is my 10% LB calibrated:

Panel Contrast: 65
All gamma: 1.06
Red brightness: +34
Red Contrast: +47

Green Brightness: +48
Green Contrast +50

Blue Brightness: +54
Blue Contrast: +52

I'm having a problem with my monitor's built in speakers. The speakers hum or buzz at different frequencies depending what is on the screen. Some menus of some games make the noise off the speakers sound different. It's faint and yet audible. Is anyone else having strange buzzing coming from their built in speakers when running some games' menus?

I'm having a problem with my monitor's built in speakers. The speakers hum or buzz at different frequencies depending what is on the screen. Some menus of some games make the noise off the speakers sound different. It's faint and yet audible. Is anyone else having strange buzzing coming from their built in speakers when running some games' menus?

Going by your description I'd be inclined to say the noise is coil whine.

Mini displayport to DVI-D Dual link Active adapter will not work @ 144Hz but it does work @ 120Hz.... Just tested it....

This is on MSI 7970 Lightning

Just putting this out there.. Might save someone some time..

I have both this Asus and a 130 Hz 1440P Catleap on my desk next to each other. I spent about three hours last night switching between the two comparing them. It's hard to choose which I like playing games on more.

With the Catleap you have a far superior image, much higher resolution, size, clarity, blacks, contrast. Of course you do have significant motion blur (10 ms measured pixel transition versus 1.4 ms on the Asus at 10% LB) and the Asus has a better stand. Image wise, everything is is far poorer on the Asus, but of course motion clarity is exceptional. It is funny loading up a 1080P desktop background, it is noticeably smaller (I'd say around a 22" image inside the 27" panel of the Catleap) due to the Catleaps superior resolution and DPI. The 24" of the Asus looks fairly small compared. That extra 3 inches makes quite a bit of difference (that's what she said!).

Basically, you have to give up a lot for super motion. Although, I think once I convert the Asus to glossy it will look a lot better and I will once again compare the two. Matte film just ruins displays IMO.

Here are a few photo's of them next to each other:

PICT00012.jpg

PICT00032.jpg

PICT00052.jpg

Whatever you take away from these photo's, just note that in person the Catleap looks far, far better.

One question I do have... after I followed the tutorial to get lightboost enabled, I was unable to turn it off and go back to 144hz. I changed the monitor driver from the hacked one to the official VG248QE one from Asus's website, and while I can still enable Lightboost I can't turn it off and go back to 144hz. Anyone know how to undo the hack or fix it so that this is possible?
Thanks!
There is a way to edit the .INF file to make it support 144Hz. (Not with LightBoost enabled, but at least you can keep both LB@120Hz and non-LB@144/Hz). It's simply copying the maximum frequency from a 144Hz .inf file, only one or two lines needs to be edited.

I don't current have instructions at hand as I am travelling, but can someone tell this gentleman how to edit his .inf file to support 144Hz, please?

That said, non-LB 144Hz have a frame refresh sample of 1/144sec. However lightboost 120Hz @ 2ms strobe backlight, have a frame refresh sample of 1/500sec. You have 70% less motion blur using LB@120Hz than non-LB@144Hz. This really reveals itself in PixPerAn readability tests. Why use 144Hz other than input lag -- when the faster brain reaction time (at least for most CRT-experienced FPS gamers) using lightboost massively outweighs the approximately 1ms extra input lag?

Of course you do have significant motion blur (10 ms measured pixel transition versus 1.4 ms on the Asus at 10% LB)

So using 10% LightBoost you get 1.4ms pixel transition?

Have you measured the input lag?

There is a way to edit the .INF file to make it support 144Hz. (Not with LightBoost enabled, but at least you can keep both LB@120Hz and non-LB@144/Hz). It's simply copying the maximum frequency from a 144Hz .inf file, only one or two lines needs to be edited.

I don't current have instructions at hand as I am travelling, but can someone tell this gentleman how to edit his .inf file to support 144Hz, please?

That said, non-LB 144Hz have a frame refresh sample of 1/144sec. However lightboost 120Hz @ 2ms strobe backlight, have a frame refresh sample of 1/500sec. You have 70% less motion blur using LB@120Hz than non-LB@144Hz. This really reveals itself in PixPerAn readability tests. Why use 144Hz other than input lag -- when the faster brain reaction time (at least for most CRT-experienced FPS gamers) using lightboost massively outweighs the approximately 1ms extra input lag?

Does Lightboost just eliminate ghosting?

I have a S23A700D and do not mind the ghosting, I'm considering the Asus or a XL2411t because they have lower input lag and 144hz.

So using 10% LightBoost you get 1.4ms pixel transition?

Have you measured the input lag?

I have a S23A700D and do not mind the ghosting, I'm considering the Asus or a XL2411t because they have lower input lag and 144hz.

Sorry no input lag numbers, but I know the BenQ 11T that uses an identical panel comes it at a very low 2-4ms. I couldn't imagine the Asus being far of that mark. I wish I still had my 11T to compare circuitry. Hmm, anyone with an 11T wanna pop it open and compare innards? :)

As for the 700D, all I can say is you don't mind the ghosting until you see 1.4ms LB. ;)

It's like a switch turns on in your brain with the super clear motion and you are like man the blur on the "other" displays suck! You've just gotten used to blur so you think you don't mind. :D

Lightboost eliminates all the following on the XL2411T and VG248QE
- Pixel transition motion blur (~25% of motion blur; only 2ms out of an 8.33ms refresh)
- Eye-tracking based motion blur (sample-and-hold -- majority of motion blur. Science & References)
- Ghosting
- Coronas (RTC transition overshoots)

With LightBoost, you get CRT-quality motion, just like a Sony FW900 CRT.

See the LightBoost high speed video which shows the strobe backlight bypassing pixel persistence as the motion blur limiting factor.

Lightboost eliminates all the following on the XL2411T and VG248QE
- Pixel transition motion blur (~25% of motion blur; only 2ms out of an 8.33ms refresh)
- Eye-tracking based motion blur (sample-and-hold -- majority of motion blur. Science & References)
- Ghosting
- Coronas (RTC transition overshoots)

With LightBoost, you get CRT-quality motion, just like a Sony FW900 CRT.

See the LightBoost high speed video which shows the strobe backlight bypassing pixel persistence as the motion blur limiting factor.

I still see normal trailing and blur on the desktop. Is that normal? Also when playing a game I notice some input lag

Last edited:
I still see normal trailing and blur on the desktop. Is that normal? Also when playing a game I notice some input lag
This probably _won't_ solve your problem, but just in case: Try hitting Control-T once or a few times while at desktop; I noticed sometimes the desktop seemed to only refresh at 60fps rather than 120fps. This may have had something to do with stereoscopic mode at desktop (which isn't visible unless you display a 3D picture or 3D video window). Just making sure this stone isn't left unturned.

Unplugging and plugging in your monitor, is something else to do too (in addition), just in case there is a flawed LightBoost in your display. There's so many reports of it working so, this is a strange case..

Hm, I've noticed if I run 100 OSD contrast instead of the default 60, screen is a bit brighter and whites are more white to boot. Throws off the color calibration some but the extra brightness is good for using LB in a lit room.

This probably _won't_ solve your problem, but just in case: Try hitting Control-T once or a few times while at desktop; I noticed sometimes the desktop seemed to only refresh at 60fps rather than 120fps. This may have had something to do with stereoscopic mode at desktop (which isn't visible unless you display a 3D picture or 3D video window). Just making sure this stone isn't left unturned.

Unplugging and plugging in your monitor, is something else to do too (in addition), just in case there is a flawed LightBoost in your display. There's so many reports of it working so, this is a strange case..

Sadly it did not do anything. I know the LB is working somewhat since doing the pixperan test I can read the text in the 30s and with it off I can maybe get to 6 or 7. I will probably end up returning this unit for another to see if it is the screen or something on my computer.

Hm, I've noticed if I run 100 OSD contrast instead of the default 60, screen is a bit brighter and whites are more white to boot. Throws off the color calibration some but the extra brightness is good for using LB in a lit room.
Check out Lagom Contrast to make sure you're not blowing out your bright highlights. I find as a result, setting to approximately 92 OSD on my ASUS prevents this from happening, though additional adjustments via nVidia Control Panel may be needed to get the colors looking better.

Sadly it did not do anything. I know the LB is working somewhat since doing the pixperan test I can read the text in the 30s and with it off I can maybe get to 6 or 7. I will probably end up returning this unit for another to see if it is the screen or something on my computer.
OK, at least we know LB is working as advertised with PixPerAn. Some things to keep in mind:
- Different humans can have more natural motion blur built into their vision, which may affect things. But if you've seen a CRT and know how much clearer it is, then that wouldn't be it.
- Use a 1000Hz gaming mouse (Old PS/2 and 125Hz USB have very jerky motion). The mouse can become a limiting factor in motion blur due to the mouse stutter.
..... See why a 1000Hz gaming mouse makes a big difference at 120Hz
- Use Chromium Smooth Scroller Extension with Google Chrome, make sure the steering wheel icon is enabled in the toolbar, and scroll using mousewheel instead of dragging the scrollbar.

OK, at least we know LB is working as advertised with PixPerAn. Some things to keep in mind:
- Different humans can have more natural motion blur built into their vision, which may affect things. But if you've seen a CRT and know how much clearer it is, then that wouldn't be it.
- Use a 1000Hz gaming mouse (Old PS/2 and 125Hz USB have very jerky motion). The mouse can become a limiting factor in motion blur due to the mouse stutter.
..... See why a 1000Hz gaming mouse makes a big difference at 120Hz
- Use Chromium Smooth Scroller Extension with Google Chrome, make sure the steering wheel icon is enabled in the toolbar, and scroll using mousewheel instead of dragging the scrollbar.

LB increases input lag?
So if gaming competitive fps online I should disable LB for most edge against opponents?

I think Vega said his 1ms LB2 monitor was only 2 - 3ms input lag and he said it was completely negligible. Maybe he will chime in eventually.
I've also heard that using heavy anti-aliasing adds input lag no matter what your setup. I don't have links to articles on that handy at the moment though.

I've also heard that using heavy anti-aliasing adds input lag no matter what your setup. I don't have links to articles on that handy at the moment though.

find some links when you can plz

I remember when i installed a shiny 5850 and played some ut2k4 botmatch with ultra high AA settings enforced by CCC just for kicks, even tho i got 100fps+ the whole time, input felt quite a bit laggy compared to no AA

I'm having problems with Eyefinity breaking when I reboot and having to reinstall the drivers to get it working again. I'm using 1.1 dp cables right now and I got 1.2 dp cables on the way to see if that solves the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

When I reboot all three screens go into 640x480 and I can't select 1920x1080 in the screen resolutions. Its all greyed out and not selectable but as soon as I reinstall the amd drivers 1920x1080 is selectable again.

I think the input lag and vsync is dependent on your system. From what I recall you have to keep your fps higher than the monitor's refresh rate or it will go to crap. Systems have changed a lot in the last few years though, and higher refresh rates / shorter frame times.

dated article (2009)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/5

hardforum discussion from 2011 with some posts by vega and others
Wait, shouldn't Vsync negate all microstuter with sli/CF systems?

http://marky.com/backlight/sneak-preview-of-arduino-input-lag-meter/

Last edited:
If mark R gets a chance maybe he can chime in.
I'd like to know what the costs of using vsync (double buffered) are in regard to input lag at 100hz and 120hz on modern, enthusiast~beastly gaming systems... assuming you are trying to keep the fps higher than the refresh rate all the time for 1:1 processing. If it still adds input lag, how many milliseconds?
I'd also like to know if high levels of AA and other eye candy processing add to input lag at all, and if so, how many milliseconds?
I'll post this in the main thread as it is the primary viewing of this LB2 monitor tech

Seems like you are not sure if use the Catleap 130hz or this Asus for BF3?

From memory how would you think the ImageQuality on this Asus compares to S23A700D?

I'm considering replacing my 700D with the XL2411t or this Asus, not sure if I dare to replace AG :eek:

What is the general agreement on the performance of this monitor compared to the benq equvalent 120hz one.
lol, so are you going to post in every single thread possible? you should make your spamming to 50 post less obvious. ;)

why would anyone turn vsync on with a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor?

i think its stupid.

Because screen tearing sucks. I'd rather not game than deal with screen tearing fests.

Does anyone know if there will be a variant with the 3D emitter built in? Would be nice to run a console through it if possible.

Seems like you are not sure if use the Catleap 130hz or this Asus for BF3?

From memory how would you think the ImageQuality on this Asus compares to S23A700D?

I'm considering replacing my 700D with the XL2411t or this Asus, not sure if I dare to replace AG :eek:

i have a 750D currently, which is the 27" version of the 700D, and i'll replace it with the benq / asus because of this lightboost trick. see my experience so far with it:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039578000&postcount=576

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039481085&postcount=98

it's a good monitor as far as TN goes, but not blur-free enough for me. admittedly, i seem to be a bit sensitive, i also can't stand bright light.

i think the catleap / overlord will do better than speed 5 in pixperan once overclocked
(i need a better card first, as i wrote in the zero blur thread)

the samsung has very bright colors for a TN monitor, although is looks rather pale next to the overlord. it's hard to imagine a TN screen with AG coating can top that. sure, i'd like it glossy too, but peeling the coating off is a bit risky imo.

regarding picture quality, that's a massive difference indeed, just look at the guy with the torch, it's like another picture.

Because screen tearing sucks. I'd rather not game than deal with screen tearing fests.

You don't get any screen tearing in LB mode when keeping FPS 120 or above without VSync. Granted, you need a pretty powerful computer to keep FPS 120 or above at all times in all games.

screen tearring @ 125fps/120hz is minimal

I remember a few months back when i sold my second hand gtx570 and used the money to get a brand new 660, i was left with the sandy's iGPU for 2-3 days (god bless Z68 ) and pretty much every single game in my steam library look and felt unplayable.
So i decided to play some goold old cs 1.6 instead of csp, i got 100fps as expected but the refresh rate was locked to 60hz due to my motherboard's single dvi output, now THAT was some horrible tearring !

Thanks for the insights guys guys, on both threads.

Back