Asus X54C-BBK5 CPU thermal throttling

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of the CPU thermal throttling

I've tried looking through the BIOS and theres no option to turn off speedstep or throttling.

Also, I've tried out Throttlestop but it doesn't seem to have any affect at all when changing any of the values.

And lastly, I've tried using the laptop w/o the battery just plugged into the wall. Also I've set the power settings on high performance with setting everything option on never.

Any ideas?

Also throttlestop and cpu-z are giving me different values. The lowest cpu-z drops to is 800mhz while throttle minimizes at 1600mhz.

No software can help if your CPU is over heating.

Can you post a screen shot of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have it setup and so I can see what processor you have, etc.

Run ThrottleStop with the Log File option checked and upload it to www.mediafire.com or somewhere convenient so I can see what is causing the throttling.

Edit: To setup ThrottleStop you typically have to check Chipset Clock Modulation and set that to 100% and check the Set Multiplier box and set that as high as it can go and remember to click on the Turn On button. A log file should show both types of clock modulation at 100%. Anything less is a sign of throttling.

CPU-Z is designed for consistent validation purposes and sacrifices some accuracy when lightly loaded. ThrottleStop follows the Intel recommended monitoring method and tells it like it is.

The Core i3-2350M does not use turbo boost so any premature throttling is likely clock modulation or chipset clock modulation related.

Last edited:
heres a image of my throttlestop setup. I haven't changed much from the default settings other than removing C1E and setting the multiplier at x23 but I have fiddled w/ pretty much all the settings without any noticeable effect in terms of cpu speed.

asusthrottlestop.png

also when u said that likely a clock modulation or chipset clock modulation related i noted that they never vary from 100% as shown in throttlestop. is that normal? my impression was that they should vary if the speed of the cpu is changing.

Clock modulation should only be used to throttle the CPU if the heatsink falls off or some similar catastrophe happens. Some manufacturers like to use it more than they should on their laptops for general temperature control.

The best thing to do is run a log file now and go play some games or whatever and then if you run into any throttling problems you will have a record of what went on. Exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can write all the data to the ThrottleStopLog.txt log file so you have a record you can check.

Last edited:
Some Intel CPUs have a very low throttling point set by Intel. The 2350M comes in both 85C and 100C varieties. If you click on the Temp/DTS button in ThrottleStop and add up those two values, you should be able to see what version you have. You can also use RealTemp to find out.

That means that Intel designed your CPU to start thermal throttling at 85C. This is done at the hardware level so there is no software that can change this limitation.

I appreciate seeing lots of data but you have to tell me what that data represents. From the looks of it, most of the time your CPU was sitting idle. When there was some load on your CPU, the multiplier was near the maximum of 23.00 so the CPU multiplier is not throttling and your laptop is not presently using either type of clock modulation throttling since both columns are at 100%. I think at one point I saw your CPU get up to 60C which is well under the Intel specified throttling temperature so no worries there.

You originally talked about throttling but I don't see anything from your results. Are you just talking about CPU-Z reporting your CPU at 800 MHz when lightly loaded? That's not throttling.

Put a load on your CPU such as running 4 threads of the TS Bench test to fully load your CPU. Does the multiplier stay at the full 23.00 or does the CPU get too hot and start reducing the speed?

There is a Windows registry hack so you can lock your CPU at the full 23 multiplier, 100% of the time by eliminating the deeper sleep states like C3/C6/C7. Doing this to a mobile CPU will create more heat, and drain your battery faster when you are not plugged in but won't give you any noticeable performance increase so I wouldn't do that to my laptop. This hack also eliminates Turbo Boost but your CPU doesn't have this feature so that won't be a problem for you.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4. Default value for this is 3 if you want to play with this feature. You will probably need to reboot to see any change.

If screwing around with your registry is too scary then click on the C7 button in ThrottleStop and the C State window will open up. Can the C7 button in there be adjusted to C1? Some bios versions lock this feature. Setting that to C1 and disabling C1E and setting the Windows Minimum performance state to 100% might help increase your ThrottleStop reported average multiplier. It can significantly boost SSD 4K write speeds which is good for benchmarking but you might not see a significant difference in day to day use. The ThrottleStop mod is not the same as the Intelppm mod but can be useful.

Last edited:
Wow. Now i feel like a real noob. I just assumed thermal throttling was a synonym for speedstep where the cpu speed drops back down when "idle".

Well my issue with this is that when it drops it takes too long to pump back up to the 2.3ghz its supposed to be at, and it results in hanging of the system where I can't even move the cursor because too many processes are being run at 800mhz. Eventually it frees up but its really annoying especially when I'm running powerpoint in class and writing notes.

Basically, I ultimately want the cpu to stay at a constant 2.3ghz at all times. I noticed with a friends computer that all he had to do was set it to maximum performance in power settings for the CPU speed to stay max at all times but it doesn't work for me.

Regarding the C7 to C1, theres only 2 options that look like I can change C1 autodemotion or C1 undemotion. Is that what you were talking about?

Again sry for the mix up. I'm a bit new to Intel since I've been using AMD for the last 10 years and they call it Cool N quiet. Also thanks for all the help so far!

UPDATE: i tried the registry edit and restarted and it does seem to be stuck at 2.3ghz now! THANKS!! now i won't have to wait during the random hangs.

Last edited:
In the middle of the C States window there will be a button that will say C7. If this is grayed out then that means your bios has locked this feature. If it is not grayed out then you can click on this button and set it to C1/C3/C6/C7 etc. I recommend C1 when this is adjustable.

The registry mod blocks the CPU from using any of the low power C States. You will end up with a hotter running laptop and less run time on battery power but if you are happy with this, I won't argue. :)

Well my issue with this is that when it drops it takes too long to pump back up to the 2.3ghz its supposed to be at...

I think you are basing that on what CPU-Z is telling you which is misleading when a CPU is lightly loaded. If your system is hanging and the mouse stops moving, that probably has nothing to do with the speed of your CPU. What antivirus program are you running? You seem to have a sh*# load of stuff in your system tray running in the background so maybe one of those apps is using up more CPU cycles than you realize.

i'm not running any antivirus program.
Most of the stuff in the system tray don't take much memory. theres like 3 icons related to sound control, drop box, and a intel graphics, and a touchpad program.

You may be right that the cpu-z speed was unrelated but since the registry change the cpu no longer hangs. So I'm assuming its working,.

Back