Athlon XP 2800 overheating

Josh_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'll try posting here in case anyone has any ideas...

My Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) goes over 90C after doing anything strenuous on my PC. What will happen is that it'll be running fine, and then suddenly spike. The other night I finally noticed this when Farcry just gave up, my PC bluescreened, and the PC hard locked. The PC is NOT overclocked at all, and the mem timings are all set by SPD.

I tried reseating my HSF, which is just the stock AMD retail HSF that came with this CPU, and I've tried lowering the clockspeed, but it only dropped temps marginally. There is also AS III between the core and the HSF. (I made sure there was sufficient thermal grease.)

This machine is:

Asus A7V600
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ w/stock HSF
1024MB Corsair PC2700 CL2
(2) 40.0GB WD SE HDD's
16X LG DVD-ROM
MSI GeForceFX 5800

The powersupply is an Enermax 365W w/dual fans.

Any ideas why this formerly stable CPU would be spiking like this?

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If not, I'd try that. Don't know what else to tell ya except that maybe your motherboard is actually faulty?

maybe ur sensor is faulty, and it's reporting the wrong temps... have you touched ur HSF... 90C will burn your fingers pretty much instantly.. so don't touch it for long.. but you might try that.. if it just feels warm, it's probably not reporting proper temperatures

My XP2800 at stock settings (which is rare ;) ) only runs at 40c (105F) during normal computing with the stock (Retail) heatsink/fan/Tim combo. Somethings not right with the temps that your showing. Could the temp sensor under the CPU have gotten moved or pushed in the wrong position or something like that? 90c is about twice as high as it should be. :eek:

I can confirm that the CPU HSF was way, way too hot for the diode to be wrong. :(

Try to remount the heatsink Josh, with stock voltage and clock speeds, that's insanely hot.

When you notice that the temps are hitting 90c, put some pressue on the heat sync to make better contact and hold it there for a bit. My brother had the same problem a few days ago with his PIII. Once I put pressure on it, the temp dropped down to 50c within less then a minute, cheap ass hs. See if this helps you out any. Also, what voltage is it set at? auto? Hope you figure this out before you burn out the chip :(

-K

Back