ATi 3450 HDMI.. no audio?

purg3d

Limp Gawd
Hoping someone out there has encountered similar problems with this card..

Sapphire 3450 arrived today. connected to my hdtv via dvi->hdmi cable from monoprice. no audio. updated to latest catalyst and realtek's hd audio drivers.. no longer have an audio device detected, but ati HD rear audio turns into ATi HDMI audio.

card didnt come with a dvi->hdmi adapter, but the pinout looks the same as my dvi cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ion=SAPPHIRE+DVI+to+HDMI+Adapter+Model+100912

so what gives? just looking for a 'one cable solution'.. there something special about this adapter that i'm missing?

yes, you need the adapter to get both audio and video through the card. dvi isn't made to push audio.

i appreciate the response, it's just such an incredible let down to know that i'm yet one more step away from my one cable solution.. and no longer needing to use crappy computer speakers.

it appears that every retailer has discontinued this adapter, and i am unsure where to find one. only the gray sapphire adapter will work, apparently.

ridiculous. how could sapphire advertise 5.1 audio on this card and not include an adapter, or have one available? apparently the ati one will not work, only sapphire.

ugh.

who says an ati adapter wouldn't work. it should work fine. i'm using a hdmi adapter from an ati brand 2900xt on a sapphire 2600xt in my htpc.

I'm interested in hooking my 3850 up to the HDMI port on my TV. So it's not possible to just run a DVI to HDMI cable to get everything working properly?

apparently not.. giving the ati adapter a try.. will post back with my results.

Just curious, what kind of adapter is it? My 3850 came with only a DVI to VGA adapter.

wait, if you already have the adapter and ran an hdmi cable from your pc to your tv, then you have issues other than an adapter. i thought you were trying to get audio from a dvi/hdmi cable. if you're using the adapter with an hdmi cable, and you've installed the newest catalyst drivers and realtek drivers, try running windows update. there should be a hardware update.

ive been trying to get it to work with a dvi - hdmi cable. just bought the 2 adapters online. word is the pinout changed from the 2000 series to 3000, but we'll see. ill keep you posted.

Eagerly awaiting these results. It'll help to know which adapter to buy when I attempt this myself.

Visiontek sells the adapters and they claim they will transmit the audio signal. I've heard that they will work with other brands. They have 2 seperate adapters, one for the 2000 series and one for the 3000 series.

3000 series http://www.visiontek.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=175

2000 series http://www.visiontek.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=133

The 2000 series looks just like the one being sold by ATI.

$9.99 each but shipping is really steep (around $8 to CA). Couldn't they just stick them in an envelope and slap a stamp on it?

I've got the 2600XT and 3870 and both came with their own ATI DVI-HDMI adapters. I could never get any audio from those devices with ATI HDMI Sound selected in Windows XP.

I have the Diamond 3450 and can't get sound using a HDMI cable. I have to go through the DVI->HDMI adapter. Anytime I turn off the tv, then back I on I either get no audio, or both no audio and video and have to restart the PC.

I didnt have video problems using the HDMI cable, but never managed to get sound with it.

Ah, was wondering why it wasn't working. I didn't figure on it needing a special adapter because the DVI-HDMI cable transmitted sound fine from the onboard video DVI port, but I guess the 3450 is built differently. I just ended up using a 1/8" stereo -> RCA for sound instead.

Ah, was wondering why it wasn't working. I didn't figure on it needing a special adapter because the DVI-HDMI cable transmitted sound fine from the onboard video DVI port, but I guess the 3450 is built differently. I just ended up using a 1/8" stereo -> RCA for sound instead.

wait a second, either you got sound from the dvi/hdmi cable, or you got video from the dvi/hdmi cable and got sound from the audio jack. which one is it?

I have the Diamond 3450 and can't get sound using a HDMI cable. I have to go through the DVI->HDMI adapter. Anytime I turn off the tv, then back I on I either get no audio, or both no audio and video and have to restart the PC.

I didnt have video problems using the HDMI cable, but never managed to get sound with it.

hdmi cable means its got hdmi connectors at both ends. did you instead use a dvi/hdmi cable?

The HIS adapter came in today and i am quite pleased to say it worked right out of the manilla envelope. now that ive got sound, i must figure out what is up with the colors. :)

The HIS adapter works? Great, time to order one.

How did you get HDMI sound specifically working? What drivers did you install, what process did you go through?

its hooked directly to my tv. ran with the original drivers on cd, which worked.. then updated the realtek hdmi audio drivers because the old one seemed to have a little audio lag time. just disabled my onboard sound and it worked like a champ. fairly sure the 5.1 works as advertised also.

Here's hoping Sapphire updates their drivers to the Catalyst 8.5s, then.

Thanks, purg.

Looks like Sapphire did indeed release Catalyst 8.5 drivers... with no bundle. I wonder if it's possible to install the drivers from the CD, then uninstall just the video drivers.

Just an FYI for anyone interested; the HIS adapter does not work with the Sapphire HD3850. It simply will not output a signal.

What a ripoff this card is.

You sure you enabled sound via HDMI and not onboard / soundcard outputs? It should work fine across brands..

You DID connect the S/PDIF cable from the header on you're soundcard/mobo to the S/PDIF IN on the video card right? If not, the video card obviously has no way to get the audio, and then send it out via HDMI. Regardless, i was under the impression that only cards with an actual built in HDMI port supported audio. That is called HDM v1.3a, which isnt supported over DVI.

**EDIT**

Upon a little more research on you're specific video card, i realize it apparently has a built in sound chip doing what i described above. In this case, simply completely disabling whatever sound device you had prior to getting the 3450 should be done, then you need to figure out how to utilize the sound chip on the included on the 3450. As i have never heard of a video card with a built in sound card, did Sapphire include any specific software to take advantage of this?

**EDIT AGAIN**

Sapphire has a PDF on their website explaining how to enable audio over HDMI. I dont know if you have read this yet, but here it is: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/productfiles/Catalogue_HDMI_Sound_output.pdf

No luck at all, because the document is useless in my case.

• I don't have an ATi HDMI Audio Device in my Sound Properties panel
  • The document is for the 2400 and 2600; I'm using the 3850
  • Sapphire's site makes no mention of an onboard HD Audio chip on the AGP version of the 3850
  • When attaching the HIS DVI to HDMI adapter, the Sapphire 3850 cannot output a video signal

It just does not work.

reading this thread just convinced me to go with my original choice of a 780G based motherboard (the gigabyte). I was debating today about whether I should get get an Intel chip with a 3450 or 3650 videocard.

I purchased HD 3450 yesterday, and used the latest catalyst drivers and there was no audio in my HDMI.

After calling the number for support they instructed me to use the OEM bundled software, and presto I have sound now through HDMI.

I also submitted a ticket to ATI regarding this issue. After getting this to work in my xp media center I attempted to update the video driver to latest one and then i lost sound again.

Strange situation, but rolledback the driver and everything works again.

cheers
Bull_Auger

I'm using the drivers on the CD, except I used the force install to upgrade the video drivers to 8.5.

I have to say this is the worst implementation of a great feature that I've ever seen in my life. You know you fucked up when even the hardcore junkies at [H]ard can't get your shit to work.

i hope people under stand that hdmi audio only transmits through one of the dvi ports. pick the one furthest from the motherboard. there's also the matter of installing the realtek hdmi hd audio driver. users with on-board realtek audio should install software in this order if they're trying to get ati hdmi audio:

1) create a restore point.
2) latest realtek hd audio drivers from mobo manufacturer.
3) latest catalyst software
4) realtek ati hdmi audio driver from the realtek site.
5) if by now you restart and don't hear any audio, check the realtek audio controls and make sure that
hdmi is recognized as a option under the output pane. if it is, then open the control panel audio
settings and make sure that hdmi is the selected output device, and restart. if you still don't hear
audio, install the hdmi audio driver for hd 2900 series from the ati site, and recheck the audio
settings. still no go, uninstall everything, return to the restore point and start over.

this is pretty much my best advice after having to go through this process twice after making upgrades to my htpc.

I used the dvi to hdmi adapter included with my diamond 3850, a regular hdmi cable to connect to the tv, then right click the volume icon in the systray, select Playback Devices, then select the 3850 sound as the default. This way I can select between the vid card sound out of the tv, or my x-fi through my pc speakers.

Oh and also I use the output closest to the mobo - I may try the other output sometime to see if there's any difference.

when i switched to the other dvi on my 3870, additional devices opened up in device managed, i should also footnote that my directions are for xp. i have a 3850 in another machine and will try to get hdmi audio through the dvi closest to the mobo.

I tried switching to ATI HD Rear output again on my 2600XT connected to the TV with the ATI proprietary DVI-to-HDMI adapter. Still no freakin audio. So I'll never get digital 5.1 DTS but I can get analog 5.1 DTS from mobo's integrated audio.

I tried switching to ATI HD Rear output again on my 2600XT connected to the TV with the ATI proprietary DVI-to-HDMI adapter. Still no freakin audio. So I'll never get digital 5.1 DTS but I can get analog 5.1 DTS from mobo's integrated audio.

i know you've been hacking at this for a while, and i really sympathize, but maybe you should consider that the card might be broken. but let me get some clarification, you were trying to get hdmi audio passed through an add-in sound card or the mobo audio chip?

Back