ATI/AMD’s VP goes Nvidia

SPY!!! jk.. not that big of a deal honestly.. he will probably get fired from Nvidia in a couple months anyways.. amd, nvidia and intel seem to be going through corporate people like they are water or something..

Haha you guys notice how Charlie was all over the story of Nvidia laying off two execs but hasn't made a peep about this? The guy is so transparent it's ridiculous.

Haha you guys notice how Charlie was all over the story of Nvidia laying off two execs but hasn't made a peep about this? The guy is so transparent it's ridiculous.

The same way he spewed some more FUD about NVIDIA's earnings, which all analysts confirm, beat expectations, yet didn't even mention AMD's continuous loss record of 11 quarters. But what fascinates me the most (in the worst possible way) is the people that keep on spreading his articles all over the place. It's obvious that they are red fans or simply anti-NVIDIA, but in the past months, those people started to come out of the woodwork, in waves...it's insane...And the best part, are their "conspiracy theories". They have one for everything. I bet they blame NVIDIA for famine in 3rd World countries too!

You do realise people start and leave jobs all the time, considering the company they work for there really isn't that many places they can go to.

Can't say I was impressed by these people while they were at AMD - I wonder why Nvidia picked them up?

Can't say I was impressed by these people while they were at AMD - I wonder why Nvidia picked them up?

So...did you even know them and what they did ?
They were totally unknown to me, except when I read these reports.

These people, along with the other two that left for Apple, were high in the AMD hierarchy, in their respective units and they are leaving. Given AMD's financial problems, I don't see this as a surprise and it kind looks like "abandoning the sinking ship"...

So...did you even know them and what they did ?
They were totally unknown to me, except when I read these reports.
Neither did I; good thing there's Google.

These people, along with the other two that left for Apple, were high in the AMD hierarchy, in their respective units and they are leaving. Given AMD's financial problems, I don't see this as a surprise and it kind looks like "abandoning the sinking ship"...
Or they could be clearing out the deadwood. I wouldn't say that Nvidia is in any better of a position than AMD atm (I'd actually say they're in worse).

Or they could be clearing out the deadwood. I wouldn't say that Nvidia is in any better of a position than AMD atm (I'd actually say they're in worse).

Right...And NVIDIA would be picking up "deadwood"...

As for the better financial position, are you joking ?! You must be or you simply don't read the earnings reports. AMD's shareholder equity is almost -500 million dollars. That means that their liabilities are 500 million greater than their assets. NVIDIA however, is in the green (no pun intended).

Right...And NVIDIA would be picking up "deadwood"...

As for the better financial position, are you joking ?! You must be or you simply don't read the earnings reports. AMD's shareholder equity is almost -500 million dollars. That means that their liabilities are 500 million greater than their assets. NVIDIA however, is in the green (no pun intended).
Look at the future, not at the present - that's how you make good investment decisions. AMD is still paying off its debt from buying ATI, and probably will for bit. However, it has set itself up quite well for the time being. I think that AMD has realized the value of creating great "bang-for-your-buck" products, and all they have to do is continually reduce production costs over the next several generations. I think they actually made something like a $1 million profit the last quarter. Right now, they have a high yield shrink right around the corner (not that 55nm wasn't great for them), they're coming first to market by a large gap with a new generation of cards, I remember reading a press release that they're also the largest portion of discrete graphics chipsets in laptops now (a great market), and other things I can't rattle off the top of my head.

On the other hand, we still haven't heard much about NVIDIA's new products, they got financially slapped around in the 4000 series vs. GTX series last year, they had tons of recalls and failures on their laptop chipsets, no one's really buying into their 9400/Atom hybrid design (last I heard), not to mention even their new designs are still for maximum performance/price in a market that has shown price/performance is now key. I imagine the current recession is helping out AMD's marketing strategy greatly, but it is what it is.

Look at the future, not at the present - that's how you make good investment decisions. AMD is still paying off its debt from buying ATI, and probably will for bit. However, it has set itself up quite well for the time being. I think that AMD has realized the value of creating great "bang-for-your-buck" products, and all they have to do is continually reduce production costs over the next several generations. I think they actually made something like a $1 million profit the last quarter. Right now, they have a high yield shrink right around the corner (not that 55nm wasn't great for them), they're coming first to market by a large gap with a new generation of cards, I remember reading a press release that they're also the largest portion of discrete graphics chipsets in laptops now (a great market), and other things I can't rattle off the top of my head.

On the other hand, we still haven't heard much about NVIDIA's new products, they got financially slapped around in the 4000 series vs. GTX series last year, they had tons of recalls and failures on their laptop chipsets, no one's really buying into their 9400/Atom hybrid design (last I heard), not to mention even their new designs are still for maximum performance/price in a market that has shown price/performance is now key. I imagine the current recession is helping out AMD's marketing strategy greatly, but it is what it is.

no no no. that is not how you make you judge investments. Gm having the volt around the corner was pointless as it was treading water. AMD is currently treading water, until it stops treading water, you can't consider it a good investment, a risky one maybe, high risk, high reward one prehaps, but not a good investment.
Nvidia on the other hand is safe investment, and until they fail, they have to be continued to judge so. they may have earned less from this less series, but they also increased marketshare, and as someone mention they are way in the black. not even a competition.

Last edited:
I consider my self an ATI fan but things need to be judged on the big picture. While ATI has managed a great comeback AMD is still sinking the way things are heading. The only danger long term for NV is that it doesn't have a complete CPU/GPU platform compared to Intel/AMD and even VIA. But they are also taking steps to rectify that with strong promotion of CUDA and embedded space with Tegra which just scored big success in Zune. The only immediate trouble for NV is how GT300 is going to turn out and nobody knows how that's going yet.

I consider my self an ATI fan but things need to be judged on the big picture. While ATI has managed a great comeback AMD is still sinking the way things are heading. The only danger long term for NV is that it doesn't have a complete CPU/GPU platform compared to Intel/AMD and even VIA. But they are also taking steps to rectify that with strong promotion of CUDA and embedded space with Tegra which just scored big success in Zune. The only immediate trouble for NV is how GT300 is going to turn out and nobody knows how that's going yet.
I never said AMD was a good investment, hell, I wouldn't invest in almost any tech company in this economy. My point was that both companies have their problems, and neither is going anywhere. And you do look at the future when making investments, that's pretty much the golden rule. You just don't make outrageous moves based on it (the GM and the Volt is a good example). For a positive example, I invested heavily in AMD in 2003 when preliminary news and results of the Athlon 64 first came out, and it ended up paying off.
I'll agree AMD's CPUs aren't anything to write home about. My guess is that they'll head toward the bang-for-your-buck market there as well, and hopefully go for volume sales. Anyway, in either case, both companies have work ahead of them.

After losing two key figures to Apple, AMD now loses one to NVIDIA:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15174/1/

Are you sure the "lost" them to Apple? LOL! :D

Apple is one of the most popular brands in computers inside the U.S. and has been using NVIDIA GPUs in many of its products like its line of MacBooks for a while. The NVIDIA 9400 series GPUs that Apple was using were subject to significantly higher than normal failure rates leading to many notebooks failing or having issues with graphics. After such failures, many wouldn’t be surprised if Apple is seeking a new GPU supplier for its computers.

AMD has announced that its line of Radeon HD 4000 series discrete graphics cards will now be featured inside Apple iMac and Mac Pro desktop computers. AMD’s video cards fully support the OpenCL version 1.0 implementation used in Apple’s just released Snow Leopard operating system
http://www.slashgear.com/amd-radeon-graphics-cards-get-into-mac-computers-3154388/

Last edited:
Got the contract, with some people flow in the process. Guess ATI isn't complaining then.

Some people actually change job from time to time (Even in semiconductor industry). Some people like to polarize news. This thread shows examples of both.

Are you sure the "lost" them to Apple? LOL! :D

Yes, they "lost" them. Bob Drebin, AMDs CTO and Raja Koduri ATI’s CTO are now part of Apple.

Tamlin_WSGF said:

The 9400ms in Apple's notebooks are integrated chips. They are essentially IONs. High-end cards described in that article have NOTHING to do with 9400m and are targeted at other types of machines, yet this "world class" article ties both of them together...

Yes, they "lost" them. Bob Drebin, AMDs CTO and Raja Koduri ATI’s CTO are now part of Apple.

I don't think you got the point... by "lost" I mean that they go over to Apple and Apple starts putting AMD gear in their machines... :D

And the Nvidia part, they "lost" an employer to Nvidia and Nvidia's marketshare goes down while AMD goes up... As response to Mr. K6's post.

I don't think you got the point... by "lost" I mean that they go over to Apple and Apple starts putting AMD gear in their machines... :D

Yes, that certainly is related...You're working for one company, but you still do things to promote your other company...that makes sense...:rolleyes:

Tamlin_WSGF said:
And the Nvidia part, they "lost" an employer to Nvidia and Nvidia's marketshare goes down while AMD goes up... As response to Mr. K6's post.

No, they lost an "employee", not an "employer". And again, that certainly is related with the market share bit. One person determines market share values. Good call :rolleyes:

Yes, that certainly is related...You're working for one company, but you still do things to promote your other company...that makes sense...:rolleyes:

No, they lost an "employee", not an "employer". And again, that certainly is related with the market share bit. One person determines market share values. Good call :rolleyes:

Humour is lost on some... :rolleyes:

Back