ATI HDTV: DVI to Component adapter $19 shipped

SJetski71

Fully [H]
Edit: Now available for $16.90 shipped, check out the last few posts in this thread for linkage, or search the merchants inventory.

Ebay "Buy It Now" is allowed so don't make me don my flame suit ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5163184639&rd=1

Ebay merchant: Mashy76

Compatible only with the following gpu's:
RADEON™ 9800 Series
RADEON™ 9700 Series
RADEON™ 9600 Series
RADEON™ 9500 Series
RADEON™ 8500 Series
RADEON™ 8500LE Series
ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 9800 Series
ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 9700 Series
ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 9600 Series
ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500
ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
darktiger said:
That looks pretty cool....
yea, i figured enough of us had ati cards to make this worth posting. With the right card and some component cables a person can turn their PC into a part-time htpc.

would this work on my powerbook? it has a ATI 9700 mobile in it

Bump

just noticed,

the same merchant has another auction running for it. It costs 16.90 in that one ;) (2 left)

He has bizarrely low prices on dvd/hdmi cables

umm...did anyone else notice the outrageous $8.95 shipping???? you could send that thing in a padded envelope via USPS insured with tracking for half that!

95% of all auctions on eBay are like that, but it turns out that many times the prices on eBay are still way better than retail. Of course, you get no support and many times returns are a pain in the ass or completely out of the question altogether, but with something like a USB cable, who the hell cares?

Anyway, people do this because the guys at eBay are too stubborn or lazy to include the shipping price together with the Buy it Now auction price in any given listing.

Has anyone tried one of them out yet? Come on and tell us what the issues are.

What are the DIP switches for?

nst6563 said:
umm...did anyone else notice the outrageous $8.95 shipping???? you could send that thing in a padded envelope via USPS insured with tracking for half that!
For decent deals i just look at total cost paid. I just bought one for $7.95 + $8.95 shipping = $16.90

$16.90 is half of what it costs elsewhere on the web ;)

charles555 said:
Has anyone tried one of them out yet? Come on and tell us what the issues are.

What are the DIP switches for?

If you look at the labels on the switches in the photo, it lists the different HDTV modes (480p, 720i, etc).

SJetski71 said:
For decent deals i just look at total cost paid. I just bought one for $7.95 + $8.95 shipping = $16.90

$16.90 is half of what it costs elsewhere on the web ;)

True...that is still a deal as long as the auction doesn't go above that breaking point price.

I noticed that the guy in the auction is from the same web-store that a friend at work pointed me to for them a few days ago. go to monoprice.com and they've got them on there for $15 (I didn't check shipping though)

nst6563 said:
True...that is still a deal as long as the auction doesn't go above that breaking point price.

I noticed that the guy in the auction is from the same web-store that a friend at work pointed me to for them a few days ago. go to monoprice.com and they've got them on there for $15 (I didn't check shipping though)
He has it listed as "buy it now", but yea you're right about monoprice.com, they have them for $20 or $21 depending on which color you pick: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&style=

Their cables don't look half bad and their prices are very low

Wish this worked on the X850's. :(

Any idea of the quality difference from this compared to a DVI->HDMI cable for a HDTV?

fallguy said:
Wish this worked on the X850's. :(

Any idea of the quality difference from this compared to a DVI->HDMI cable for a HDTV?
In theory DVI->HDMI should be better as there's no digital to analog conversion.

What actually happens on the screen may be a different story though

only one way to find out ;)

I bought one of these a couple days ago (Official ATI one) from another seller on eBay and mine just arrived. I have it hooked to a 4x3 projector (Infocus X1) and have the adaptor jumpered properly, but the image is squished horizontally when I use 800x600 the image is squished horizontally - it looks like I have the computer set to anamorphic 16x9 mode (the Jumper on the adaptor for 16x9 is off)
I've tried updating my drivers and just general playing around. Interestingly enough, it works fine with a VGA connection to my projector or using the DVI -> Component Adaptor at 640x480 - I wanted to use component though so I could switch it through my receiver.

BigDish said:
I bought one of these a couple days ago (Official ATI one) from another seller on eBay and mine just arrived. I have it hooked to a 4x3 projector (Infocus X1) and have the adaptor jumpered properly, but the image is squished horizontally when I use 800x600 the image is squished horizontally - it looks like I have the computer set to anamorphic 16x9 mode (the Jumper on the adaptor for 16x9 is off)
I've tried updating my drivers and just general playing around. Interestingly enough, it works fine with a VGA connection to my projector or using the DVI -> Component Adaptor at 640x480 - I wanted to use component though so I could switch it through my receiver.

Sweet, good info...

thx

I had the same experience using this device. The product's user guide (http://www.ati.com/support/manualpd...rod=PChdtv&submit.x=17&submit.y=13&submit=GO!) says to set to 640x480 and when I did that cleared up my problem. The display seems to scale as needed to handle whatever comes in on the component input. I've been using 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i without further adjustment. BTW, the resolution on my VGA output wasn't affected.

BlackPearl said:
I had the same experience using this device. The product's user guide (http://www.ati.com/support/manualpd...rod=PChdtv&submit.x=17&submit.y=13&submit=GO!) says to set to 640x480 and when I did that cleared up my problem. The display seems to scale as needed to handle whatever comes in on the component input. I've been using 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i without further adjustment. BTW, the resolution on my VGA output wasn't affected.
Thx for the user manual pdf, it ought to come in handy :) (right-click save target as)

Edit: These adapters aren't sold out yet, be sure to check the merchants entire inventory.

Here's the dvi/component adapter going for $16.90 shipped (1 left):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61396&item=5750657658&rd=1

For those who missed out, remember that you can find them here as well for $20 shipped:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&style=

Still can't get over all the cheap prices @ monoprice.com, will be placing an order there soon ;)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That guy ships fast I ordered on the 9th and got min two days later. The 8.95 shipping sucked considering the postage was only .73 cents. You gotta love ebay. But it is cheaper than anybody else.

Yup, I ordered one from the same guy (I believe). Was the black one and cost ~$16 shipped. To be honest the shipping is a rip off as he paid all of $0.80 to mail it; not to mention he sent it First Class instead of Priority. Anyway, no big deal, but I do get a little steamed about stuff like that.

Now I just need to hook up one of my computers to a TV. Now which one... 57" 16x9 or 36" Sony Wega? Hmm.

Regards,
fastgeek

Back