ATI High Quality VS. Nvidia High Quality

purgatory

Weaksauce
With all the shimmering talk going on heres my 2 cents. They both shimmer!
I think alot of people confuse shimmering with aliasing too. (Riddick is a good example of aliasing) As someone who owns nvidia and Ati my view is MOST games look the same on Nvidia and Ati's Quality settings with a few games showing extra shimmer on Nvidia and some showing extra shimmer on Ati. I believe Nvidia and Ati should fix these problems as they seem to bo more game specific than anything else. With that being said lets have a look at Nvidia's and Ati's High quality settings. Here are 4 videos uncompressed 40+ MB's Have a look and and post which show the best (least shimmer) quality. :)
(must have the newest fraps to view)

Ati - BF2 HQ 1-1.avi - http://www.savefile.com/files/6534360

Nvidia - BF2 HQ 1-2.avi - http://www.savefile.com/files/1544601

Nvidia - CS Assault HQ 2-1.avi - http://www.savefile.com/files/9386538

Ati - CS Assault HQ 2-2.avi - http://www.savefile.com/files/2663247

EDIT: added two more

Ati - CS Aztec HQ 3-1.avi - http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=9471331

Nvidia - CS Aztec HQ 3-2.avi - http://www.savefile.com/files/4294733

EDIT:
Sorry BF2 HQ 1-1 and 1-2, CS Aztec HQ 3-1 and CS Aztec HQ 3-2 were mislabeled
(stupid mistake Fixed now)

Cards used:
X850XT
6800 Ultra

Settings used:
1280x1024
2xaa
16xaf

Catalyst 5.7
Ati control panel set to high quality
trilinear forced with ATI Tray Tools

Forceware 78.03
Nvidia control panel set to high quality
mipmaps set to trilinear

What driver versions are you going on? If the 5.8 cats I'd hold your horses til ATi's next update.

animosity said:
What driver versions are you going on? If the 5.8 cats I'd hold your horses til ATi's next update.

If I where to follow you logic, shouldn't we all wait for NVIDIA's next release too?

Terra - I think this is called remi ;)

Terra said:
If I where to follow you logic, shouldn't we all wait for NVIDIA's next release too?

No.
Simple reason :
nVidia has been shimmering for many driver releases.
ATi has been shimmering for one driver release.

Figure it out.

drivers is drivers, so NVIDIA actually releases them often...

kind of hard to say right now considering ATI has nothing to compar to a 7800GTX...

Might want to hold this tread untill ATI gets there next card out.

eno-on said:
No.
Simple reason :

Figure it out.

although i like nvidia more, he does have a good point

eno-on said:
No.
Simple reason :

Figure it out.

You're asking a lot there. :( Especially from someone who seems to have to sign his posts with his name with a little "witty" quote just to reassure himself and remind him what his name is. :confused:

Chris_B said:
You're asking a lot there. :( Especially from someone who seems to have to sign his posts with his name with a little "witty" quote just to reassure himself and remind him what his name is. :confused:
If it takes any more explanation than that, I may as well be talking to a fence post.

Chris_B said:
Gerv come back to gf1, we miss you.

PS: I think Terra's little sayings are cute.

I(illa Bee said:
What shimmering? I dont think I have experenced it?
1 entry found for shimmering.

shim·mer ( P )Pronunciation Key (sh m r)
intr.v. shim·mered, shim·mer·ing, shim·mers

1. To shine with a subdued flickering light. See Synonyms at flash.
  2. To appear as a wavering or flickering image, as in a reflection on water or through heat waves in air.
n.

A flickering or tremulous light; a glimmer.

internet jargon.

1. A term thrown around forums to project superiority of one individual’s preferences over another poster’s product choice. <Normally used completely out of context of the conversation and rarely backed up with any proof or facts>

Lore.

An object or occurrence that is not perceived under normal circumstances with the human eye, once properly trained on how to spot said occurrence it becomes so distracting that you can no longer enjoy any games.

www.dictionary.com for the real part

purgatory said:
Is anyone gonna guess which ones Ati and Which one is Nvidia? I can see a difference. Anyone?

X850XT
6800 Ultra

Settings used:
1280x1024
2xaa
16xaf

Catalyst 5.7
Ati control panel set to high quality
AI disabled
trilinear forced with ATI Tray Tools

Forceware 78.03
Nvidia control panel set to high quality
mipmaps set to trilinear

Wasnt the forceware 78.03 main objective to fix the shimmering problem?
Try using drivers that arent beta right now

Big Fat Duck said:
Wasnt the forceware 78.03 main objective to fix the shimmering problem?
Try using drivers that arent beta right now

Yes, for the 7800. Not the 6800.

Is this soemthing like the forest from 3dmark 2005 where the leaves from trees have that flickering light ?

I see this shimmering thing as a nice feature, weird shit happens in real life called phenomenon. Maybe the graphics are just getting too real, hell if it ain't broke don't fix it.

personally, i have to say nV wins this one 0_0 not out of bias either, i love IQ on ATi cards... but nV has less shimmering IMO...

0mega said:
personally, i have to say nV wins this one 0_0 not out of bias either, i love IQ on ATi cards... but nV has less shimmering IMO...

Look at all of the people with 7800s that are complaining. kthx.

Skin said:

Yes, but look at all the people who complained and still do about the 6800 even on high quality.

0mega said:

Its funny how lots of people will bash Nvidia for quality mode but no props for thier high quality mode. :(

Terra said:

Which beta would you be referring to? This weeks, last weeks, two weeks ago, three weeks ago, last month, last quarter, or yesterdays? :rolleyes:

One thing for sure is we will see a fix from ATI within four weeks that are M$ certified.

R1ckCa1n said:
Which beta would you be referring to? This weeks, last weeks, two weeks ago, three weeks ago, last month, last quarter, or yesterdays?

omfg roflmfao!

Terra said:

Well in Nvidias latest driver release it was supposed to fix the shimmering, but in ATi's latest it produces shimmering. So my logic is, why not use some drivers where the shimmering is least comparable... and then compare it. Am I making sense to anyone else that doesn't have a vagina?

animosity said:
Well in Nvidias latest driver release it was supposed to fix the shimmering, but in ATi's latest it produces shimmering. So my logic is, why not use some drivers where the shimmering is least comparable... and then compare it. Am I making sense to anyone else that doesn't have a vagina?

You think I a female? *LOL*

Terra - Dosn't people know anything about Latin? :S *L*

purgatory said:
Its funny how lots of people will bash Nvidia for quality mode but no props for thier high quality mode. :(

High Quality shimmers, thats the problem.

I don't see how much more discussing this topic needs, the 5.8's shimmer.. where as every OTHER driver from ATI doesn't. Either roll back your drivers to 5.7's or before, or wait until the next ATI driver release to judge... nVidia's has been doing this for a while so don't bring up the "wait for nVidia's release" arguement :)

Skin said:

Have you considered the fact that 99% of the users don't notice until someone points out EXACTLY where those shimmerings are?

Sly said:
Have you considered the fact that 99% of the users don't notice until someone points out EXACTLY where those shimmerings are?

I dont know what shimmering is either. I was just jumping on the bandwagon.

R1ckCa1n said:
Which beta would you be referring to? This weeks, last weeks, two weeks ago, three weeks ago, last month, last quarter, or yesterdays? :rolleyes:

One thing for sure is we will see a fix from ATI within four weeks that are M$ certified.

woopdedooo! m$ certified! which basically means nothing in realworld. all m$ does it test it to see if they are fine which is exactly what ATI and NV do over and over and over and over and over and over and well you get the point...

Back