ATI Issue with my LCD TV

faugusztin

2[H]4U
Hi,

i have a issue with my LCD TV (LG 42LC3R) and all ATI products - none of the ATI cards detect the display when connected through HDMI (tested with HD5870 in my secondary PC and HD5670 Mobile in my laptop), VGA is running fine. In short :

• the TV has probably damaged (or somehow incompatible) EDID information for HDMI mode
  • it's not the cables
  • it's partially a issue of ATI cards

How did i come up with this list ?
  • When i connect the HDMI cable from TV to any of the ATI cards, nothing happens. Display is not detected after connecting or after forcing manual detection.
  • When i connect the same HDMI cable from my HP LP2475w to any of the ATI cards, display works without any problems - these two things rule out the cable as the issue. I also tested 2 different cables, same result. Both cables are HDMI 1.3.
  • When i connect the LCD TV through the same HDMI cable to my GTX570, display is immediately detected and shows the desktop - true, only at some low mode (1024x768 i think) and have to use a EDID override INF file to use it at native 1360x768 resolution, but the point is that it works.
  • When i connect the LCD TV through good old VGA cable, it shows up without any problems, and it does even has the display name "42LC3R-ZH"). So if EDID is damaged, it is probably only the HDMI part?

Now what is the solution for ATI cards, if the display doesn't send valid information, ATI cards doesn't detect the display and i want to use HDMI connection (because of the HDMI audio) ?

Thanks for any ideas (except the most obvious one - replace the LCD TV, that is not a option :D).

If it doesn't work without EDID forcing on the geforce, then the TV obviously has some issue accepting PC signals. It may simply be that the Radeons are sending a signal the TV won't recognise (but should) - try forcing 1024x768 down the HDMI from the HD5870?

As i stated, NVIDIA detects the display and starts it up at 1024x768, the EDID override is needed only for 1360x768 resolution (because it doesn't show up normally).

With ATI, i can't do anything, as the LCD TV is simply not listed anywhere. It is like if the connection doesn't exist at all - you can't do anything without that.

Bizarre that the geforce can detect it, but it sounds like there is something wrong with that part of the TV, and while it's annoying the Radeon can't use it, the problem is the fault of the TV, not the graphics card.

Well yeah, either exchanging the TV then or wait for the Apple TV G2 jailbreak so i can finally put XBMC on it :).

Back