ATI to launch DX11 cards in seven weeks

:confused: I was planning to buy 4870 in august. :confused: I guess, I will just upgrade my psu and cpu then.

:confused: I was planning to buy 4870 in august. :confused: I guess, I will just upgrade my psu and cpu then.

You should re-consider that, since you seem to be inclined in getting a HD 4870 512, when you should be looking for the 1 GB model.

And regarding the rumor, you may still be getting the HD 4870 in that time frame, since this is just a rumor and may or may not be confirmed.

I don't think people will care about card availability until next year myself or until nvidia launches their own cards which ever come first.

So if they do release them to reviewers only it won't be a big blow and would at least give people an idea of how much cash to save up.

You should re-consider that, since you seem to be inclined in getting a HD 4870 512, when you should be looking for the 1 GB model.

And regarding the rumor, you may still be getting the HD 4870 in that time frame, since this is just a rumor and may or may not be confirmed.

on 720p display, extra 512mb is meanless to me.

I can smell a paper launch like a fart in a car. Someone roll down the window.

If you like AA, no it isn't.

Silus, are you sure about that as the user was talking about a 720p display? I forget the math but I thought for those resolution 4xAA should "fit" inside a 512 Mb? Or do other factors come into play (like how much mem is left over after texture and other things are used)? I realize that as AA goes up to x8 and higher modes, so does the memory it requires...

Silus, are you sure about that as the user was talking about a 720p display? I forget the math but I thought for those resolution 4xAA should "fit" inside a 512 Mb? Or do other factors come into play (like how much mem is left over after texture and other things are used)? I realize that as AA goes up to x8 and higher modes, so does the memory it requires...

So if you realize that, what exactly is your doubt ?

Anyway, let's stay on topic...

From what I experience when playing GTA, modern games with high quality textures need more than 512MB if you want the best quality of textures with minimal-to-no texture pop-ins, even if you play in lower resolution.

on 720p display, extra 512mb is meanless to me.

Resolution doesn't have the night and day difference for frame buffer that it used to. The amount of space the frame buffer takes up is constant, it doesn't grow. That means, as VRAM sizes have increased, the percentage of space used by the frame buffer has decreased. That extra 512mb does matter, regardless of the resolution you run. Double buffered 2560x1600 only needs a ~20mb frame buffer. AA greatly expands that, but the real memory hog is textures - which is the same regardless of resolution. Don't kid yourself, you'll want the extra 512mb.

I hope this is true, cause I was gonna use my outdated, POS 7800GT till I seen release dates, then debate if I wanted to buy 4800 or wait for the new series. I'm willing to limp along the 7800 till then.

Back