Auction Site Sells Itself on Ebay

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
A couple of guys who were tired of constant fees on Ebay decided it was time to start their own auction site. When that didn’t work out too well and they decided to sell it, where would be they go? Why Ebay of course!

Michaud said he came up with the idea for the site four years ago while making a living selling art on eBay. He would try to sell 50 to 100 items a month on the site and was incurring fees of about $1,200 a month, he said, even when only a few of his items actually sold.

Unfortunately, when a site such as eBay has such a huge market share (and brand recognition) it's hard (or perhaps impossible, as these folks found out) to compete.

The biggest advantage of eBay is the volume of users (and hence the selection). Unfortunately, with no other legitimate competitors, eBay (and PayPal) are free to charge the ridiculously exorbitant prices.

Consumer choice and innovation are wonderful things... still, sometimes I wonder if our current form capitalism unchecked (not nearly regulated enough in favor of consumer and fair market) is too high a price to pay?

I know this is getting off topic, but there seems to be such a glut of companies these days so terribly overcharging for their services... simply because they can!! Cell phone service, internet, cable (gasoline anyone)... they all make such huge profits, its absolutely ridiculous.

Ebay/PayPal are no exception to gouging the consumer and (as far as I'm aware) getting away scott-free and pig rich!!

I best stop now before I go off any more...

As of my post there have been 45 bids only bringing the price up to $25,301 which still hasn't meet their reserve price. On top of that they let all their employees go so that means who ever buys it will have to hire all new people and the site seems be live but everything on it is down so its pretty much a placeholder for now.

So after the new people take over they will have to hire all new people, bring the site back up. Hopefully get some of the old visitors to come back and manybe a few new ones who have never heard of this site till now.

Seems like a lot of work for getting started in the aution world. Might as well just start up your own site.

If I was an investor, I would NEVER buy this for more than $100

I took a quick glance at alexa.com to see how it ranks.
Reach for Mightybids.com:
Percent of global Internet users who visit this site Yesterday 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
N/A* 0.00055% 0.000245% 75% (Decrease)

Traffic Rank for Mightybids.com:
Alexa traffic rank based on a combined measure of page views and users (reach)Yesterday 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
N/A* 165,337 464,276 327,588 (Decrease)

Page Views per user for Mightybids.com:
The number of unique pages viewed per user per day for this siteYesterday 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
N/A* 4.3 2.3 80% (Decrease)

Over the past 3 months, that is a HUGE DECREASE. Its means this site is falling apart. That is the reason they are selling it.

Ebay.com vs. MightyBids.com
Reach: For every million internet users, ebay reaches 20,000 while MightyBids reaches 5.5
This site will not survive. Im suprised it survived 4 years, or is the reserve how much of a loss they took?

If I was an investor, I would NEVER buy this for more than $100

I took a quick glance at alexa.com to see how it ranks.
Reach for Mightybids.com:
Percent of global Internet users who visit this site Yesterday 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
N/A* 0.00055% 0.000245% 75% (Decrease)

Traffic Rank for Mightybids.com:
Alexa traffic rank based on a combined measure of page views and users (reach)Yesterday 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
N/A* 165,337 464,276 327,588 (Decrease)

Page Views per user for Mightybids.com:
The number of unique pages viewed per user per day for this siteYesterday 1 wk. Avg. 3 mos. Avg. 3 mos. Change
N/A* 4.3 2.3 80% (Decrease)

Over the past 3 months, that is a HUGE DECREASE. Its means this site is falling apart. That is the reason they are selling it.

Ebay.com vs. MightyBids.com
Reach: For every million internet users, ebay reaches 20,000 while MightyBids reaches 5.5
This site will not survive. Im suprised it survived 4 years, or is the reserve how much of a loss they took?

Not much traffic going to that site either. Not worthy of much IMO.

I tried searching the site and couldn't find anything to do with computers. :eek:

Back