audigy 2 nx

schapman

Gawd
This gotta buried in the other thread so I though I'd make a new topic for it:

MisterX...
Would you compare the headphone output to that of the Front output on an audigy2 ZS? I'm just wondering as my new board just cooked my A2 so I'm undecided between another or the NX.

For DTS, I don't care about the decoding as my receiver will be doing that. I'll just be using the analog outs.

My main interest in this over the A2zs is that if I plug in headphones, I'm assuming I can set the mute speakers option and have the speaker profile change automagically which I can't do right now with the internal card.

One more question if anyone knows:

If I set up the card to not always have digital out (for positional/EAX stuff in games) and have PowerDVD set to SPDIF bypass... when I'm watching a DVD should I just get my normal digital out to my receiver and when gaming/ listening to music get my discrete/headphone out?

If you are only interested in digital, then your onboard S/PDIF or the S/PDIF of a cheap PCI card like the Chaintech AV-710 should be fine. There's no reason to pay more than $30 for S/PDIF output.

Am I misunderstanding your intent?

Well.. I want the discrete output for gaming surround. I just made the switch to amd64 so I lost my soundstorm. I have an audigy2 zs but it was killed by my board and a replacement from creative is iffy. I only mention the other output because I want to be able to have the discrete output for gaming/EAX and all that goodness, but for movie watching I'd like PowerDVD to just pass that audio through to the receiver as the NX does not support DTS but my receiver does.

ideally, I'd like to just have both inputs plugged in and be able to set powerdvd for its purpose and have the analog out for the rest.

Back