Audio Help Selecting Reciever/Speakers for Home Theater

UltimaParadox

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently I am looking at the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home system ($400) and pairing it with a Onkyo TX-SR606 Reciever ($400). This seems like a great system.

My question is my original budget was around the $1500 dollar mark, and was wondering if it was worth it to reach a little further into a higher end setup.

I am looking to pair this was an HDTV, so HDMI 1.3 is a must, a PS3, XBox 360, and of course my satellite box.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Hi!
My recommendation is to do it "right" from the beginning so you dont end up spending more later. One suggestiong that most audio nuts do is to spend more on speakers than on electronics. Speakers make or break a system. When upgrading your audio set up speakers will give you the most noticeable before and after followed by room acoustics treatments (closely) and finally electronics.
Of course you need decent electronics as to not run into clipping issues due to weak amplifier section but for the most part you can have nice receivers like Harman Kardons that deliver wattage which is just like they rate them and not bogus claims like many other manufacturers.
For speakers I recommend the company I used to work for...AV123. The elt525 package would be a great fit for you. Just add a small subwoofer and you are done. :)
When you are ready for room acoustics take a look at GIK...excellent prices and service.
Regards

Thought I'd chime in with another recommendation for AV123 speakers. I've got a set of their x-series Encores (2 x-ls + 1 x-cs) along with a BIC H-100 subwoofer in a killer 3.1 PC audio system. Beautiful speakers, brutally awesome sound, excellent company!

Personally, I would slowly build up my HT setup beginning with some LSi9 or LS15 or Vintage Monitor 5 through 10 or almost any of the SDA series from Polk Audio. Then grab an Adcom GFA-555 or GFA-545 (if you must). Then let me know what budget you have left after that (because you can find these used so their prices have quite a bit of range).

If he wants to build slow then I can add getting some Rockets if space if not a problem that is. One thing I forgot to mention is to look for a receiver with preamps in case you want to add more power later.
Regards

Personally, I would slowly build up my HT setup beginning with some LSi9 or LS15 or Vintage Monitor 5 through 10 or almost any of the SDA series from Polk Audio. Then grab an Adcom GFA-555 or GFA-545 (if you must). Then let me know what budget you have left after that (because you can find these used so their prices have quite a bit of range).

I concur with the above statement. I went nuts when the Monitor series dropped and am now the proud owner of 2 Monitor 60's as my fronts, Monitor 40's as my surrounds and a CS2 as a center. Looking to add a PSW125 to finish.

Also right now its all driven by a cheap Sony HTIAB reciever. I will be upgrading it last as the speakers are the hardest part to match and I already notice a difference in how movies sound even when at half the volume I used to listen to with the HTIAB speakers.

Decent articles discussing this found here and here

Bleh. I dislike the Polk Audio subwoofers. And um... please upgrade your Sony receiver. :D

Bleh. I dislike the Polk Audio subwoofers. And um... please upgrade your Sony receiver. :D

The Sony receiver isn't that bad (it could be a walmart receiver)....its a SRT-K7000. It at least has HDMI inputs (though it requires a separate optical in for the audio). Puts out around 1000 watts, thought in an apartment I would never get to push it that hard, nor is that the actual RMS value, but ya know you work with what you got :)./

With that said my bonus is going toward the purchase of either a Yamaha 663, 765 or a Onkyo 606. As I have a blu ray player in my computer hooked up to my TV I will finally be able to get some nice audio. Will also be bi-amping the fronts (depending on if I can notice a difference). If not I will be hooking up 2 more rear speakers and basically turning my little apartment (16x17 living room) into a massive "Man Cave"

I am only going with the sub as it pairs perfectly with the speakers I got. I didnt have time to do tons of research nor the ability to spends tons of cash so I looked at Polks website and built their recommended setup for the Monitor 60's . I got a $1700 setup for under 1000 :D. Considering my living room is only 16 x 17 I think I will have more than enough power.

Last edited:
Eh... I know this probably isn't the only thing in your line of sight, but, just in case it is, remember watts and dollars aren't everything (but I see them often in your post). My SDA SRS 2 and SDA 2 blow away most setups under $2k. They cost me $550 plus the cost of the amps which were about $450 total. The amps and speakers also happen to be pretty old and the amps total to about 700W (although Adcom amps are more known for high current, not high watts).

IMO, I wouldn't trust Polk "recommended" setups. I love their products, but when they recommend setups, it's to sell speakers, not to give you the best sound (only the best sound out of THEIR current products).

As for your future purchase, those receivers are great choices. Tons better than all or almost all Sony receivers. I think there was a Yamaha 663 beings old for $200 shipped in the FS forums before the revamped forums. Maybe he will repost...

Eh... I know this probably isn't the only thing in your line of sight, but, just in case it is, remember watts and dollars aren't everything (but I see them often in your post). My SDA SRS 2 and SDA 2 blow away most setups under $2k. They cost me $550 plus the cost of the amps which were about $450 total. The amps and speakers also happen to be pretty old and the amps total to about 700W (although Adcom amps are more known for high current, not high watts).

IMO, I wouldn't trust Polk "recommended" setups. I love their products, but when they recommend setups, it's to sell speakers, not to give you the best sound (only the best sound out of THEIR current products).

As for your future purchase, those receivers are great choices. Tons better than all or almost all Sony receivers. I think there was a Yamaha 663 beings old for $200 shipped in the FS forums before the revamped forums. Maybe he will repost...

Point well taken. Wattage and dollars do not always guarantee the best sound as you can get a good unknown brand speaker (I personally hadn't heard about TSC till I joined this forum) that performs on par with a name brand (like polk) for less. I am a huge fan of the older receivers as you normally got more wattage from them and the build quailty was better, however they do not have the features I need (HDMI, 7.1, etc). Same of older speakers. My dad has a 20 yr old pair of Boston loudspeakers that to this day thump the heck out of my parents house.

You pay some for the "brand" that you buy. In my case I hate going to stores to listen to speakers as I always get harassed by salespeople and I am not the type to be nice to them. I prefer to go with what I know (in this case I have polk speakers in my car and I like they very much) or a well known brand as I was more comfortable with that name then say AVS123 (not that their speakers are not awesome, I just personally dont know anyone with them).

I am waiting for the 765 as while I love the 663 features I already have 2 HDMI sources and would like the ability to add one or two more without a additional switch. The 765 looks to be about the same weight as the 663 (minus 2 pounds) and has more HDMI sources. I am really scared of the 665 as it lost 8 pounds somehow and it also has a 270 watt rating v the 765's 500 (same as the 663)

Last edited:
Currently I am looking at the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home system ($400) and pairing it with a Onkyo TX-SR606 Reciever ($400). This seems like a great system.

My question is my original budget was around the $1500 dollar mark, and was wondering if it was worth it to reach a little further into a higher end setup.

I am looking to pair this was an HDTV, so HDMI 1.3 is a must, a PS3, XBox 360, and of course my satellite box.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Ribbon speakers for the win.

Buy vintage speakers.. Some of the best sounding speakers come from the 50s and 60s.. When it comes to audio, theres really no major technological advancement. My DT48 headphone is based off the dt48 silver that was introduced in 1950, which was based on the original eugene beyer DT48 (wisp) in 1937. And the 48s trump many of the flagship headphones today in many areas. In my opinion, older is better in terms of audio gear. Price to performance.

I wish I would have known about the ED subwoofers 2 years ago. Maybe it's time to upgrade. :)

The MFW-15 looks good as well, but I can't be too sorry since it only came out last year.

Now I'm looking into adding some tactile transducers to the sofa. mmm... butt-kickers...

Back