Background Intelligent Transfer Service = DUMB.

ZenOps

2[H]4U
Ok, so here I sit on day two of an install of a system that only has 16KB cable (approx 5x faster than dialup) download ability.

The BITS has hijacked the internet line for the first day downloading critical updates basically making the computer useless for one whole day. Of course SP2 will not install on a NFR copy, so it seems to get confused and then dowloads the non-criticals at just a slow enough rate to require a page refresh three times on every page for all data to be recieved (limited port open ability)

Soo, here I sit waiting for day three waiting for BITS to download SP2 and patches at 0% I can never use... Intelligent at screwing up fresh installs, BITS will do it *every* time if you have limited internet connectivity and a WinXP that will not install/do not want to install SP2 on.

guess it just sucks for you, why didn't you just download the full sp2 and slip stream it on your install disk so you won't have to do this again in the future when you format

Why not just disable BITS service?

Or block windowsupdate.microsoft.com in your router?

Or unplug the cable?

pigster said:
And if he needs a windows box how would that help him?

Not at all.

I do get this kind of response all the time, and it always confuses me:

He never said he had to have windows for school, work, etc. Why don't you let him decide for himself if he needs windows or not, and stop giving me a hard time for making a suggestion.

Strictly speaking, he made a suggestion that would eliminate the problem while keeping some form of functionality. :D

However. How about disabling automatic downloading of updates?
(ISTR that you can set it to only download updates when you tell it to.)

I tried to disable BITS from services.msc, and for some odd reason it still runs.

I visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and it requires me to download BITS even before I can download anything. Patches for non-SP2 or SP2.

As mentioned, I cant slipstream into an NFR... The NFR will not allow an SP2 installation of any type (it actually say "Not for Retail or OEM distribution" printed right on the hologram on the disk, its a non-upgradeable XP)

Once its updated, everything goes ballistic and its an automatic minimum 2 -day wait for downloads to complete, which never do...

BITS is required for windows update.

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 33 seconds.

*waits* :(

I'm surprised that a NFR copy would prohibit service packs; they're not usually considered upgrades (that text suggests no XP->Longhorn). That said, I don't have one in front of me, so I can't say for sure.

//edit: for that matter, I also see no reason you can't slipstream.

That said, have you tried downloading the Network distribution of SP2 via normal means and installing from there? Doesn't require BITS.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

lomn75 said:
I'm surprised that a NFR copy would prohibit service packs; they're not usually considered upgrades (that text suggests no XP->Longhorn). That said, I don't have one in front of me, so I can't say for sure.

I wasn't aware of any such restictions either.

Ive installed SP2 onto XP Pro NFR versions with no problem.

Id turn off the automatic updates on the PC (right click My Computer, Properties, Automatic Updates..), then download the SP2 network install file (large....) and then install it and then turn on the auto updates and there should be too much to update...

Back