Bad sectors?

WiLLiSTER

2[H]4U
I bought a 320gb WD caviar blue drive used. It came from a part out so I figured the drive was good. Got it yesterday and hooked it up today. I installed it as a secondary drive and once I tried booting, the computer would hang at the Starting Windows screen (win7, with the glowing logo). Couldn't get past that with any configuration, so I disconnected the drive and it started fine.

So I popped open my external enclosure and hooked up my 750gb internally to make sure it wasn't something with the mobo accepting two hd's and sure enough, it booted right up. Plugged the 320gb drive into the enclosure and powered that up and once it was initialized problem galore. Programs would freeze or not open at all. I tried opening device manager and it control panel froze for about 5 minutes and then said it was running slow and couldn't initialize. After a while the drive showed up in explorer but with no usage data, just the name of the drive and the letter. I couldn't safely remove the drive so I just shut it off and once it was off everything came back to life. All the programs I had tried to open before opened right up, the programs that were already open and I tried closing now closed, and order was restored.

Something is obviously wrong with the drive, but I'm not completely sure what since I've never had an issue like this. I read about someone with a similar issue and people were saying it was bad sectors, but the forum wasn't a tech forum, so I can't judge the validity of their statements. Is this drive done for?

Last edited:
Sounds dead, I would ask for a refund.

Even if there was something for you to fix it with, would you really trust it with your data after all this?

The drive was in a raid 1 array. But has since been removed and the array was wiped and both drives reformatted with a quick ntfs format.

I had windows xp on one of the drives (not sure which one) just to test some other stuff but that was wiped as well.

Can you try and get into windows install to delete any partitions and reformat the drive? That would be my first guess??

Sorry for the trouble! I will let you know if I get any issues from the other buyer.

Back