bah, fan connectors

Cirkustanz

Limp Gawd
I ordered an ultima-90 from heatsinkfactory.com.

The fan I originally wanted, they are out of stock on, and it sounds like it is no longer made.

They suggested this fan instead:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/noctua-nf-p12-1300-120mm-fan.html

The fan connector by default is a 3 pin of course. It comes with a low noise connector, and an ultra low noise connector. It also says that it comes with a 3:4 pin adapter.

I don't believe that. What is included is an adapter that has TWO pins, and connects to molex. Ground, and power, sure. The fan will spin.
But there will be no recognition from the bios on *IF* the fan is spinning, and I can not control how fast it is spinning, barring doing something I don't think I should have to do, putting in some resister. (bah to that)

What is the point of positioning this fan for an LGA775 platform?

On their website, I did find this fan:
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/scythe-kama-120mm-pwm-fan.html

This appears to be what I should have purchased in the first place, now that I know.

But it seems to not be very good. It seems to be inferior to what the others can be.

Not that I'm surprised, since it's only $11.

So I guess what I am looking for is a nice 120mm fan with a 4 pin built in power connector, since all of the 3:4 adapters that I see on other fans are really just molex plugs, defeating the low noise purpose.

Cliffs:
1: It seems that all the high end 120mm fans seem to use 3 pin power connectors.

2: It also seems that all the 3:4 pin power adapters mentioned in high end fans actually bypass the low power option, and thus, low noise option. Not to mention the loss of fan speed monitoring.

What's a guy to do?

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whereisthe3to4adapterbi9.jpg

I've got a 3-pin fan connector on my S-FLEX E I'm using for my TRUE. The mobo reads the fan speed just fine, and while I've never seen the need to lower the speed since it's so quiet, I don't see that being too much of a problem. Should be able to adjust it by voltage still afaik.

I am assuming then that you removed the 3 pin connector that was on the s-flex and put the wires in the appropriate holes for the 4 pin connector so it would fit?

What is the fourth wire for?

Power, ground, speed sensor..........fourth = ?

No, I'm still using the three pin connector... I don't know what the fourth connection is for tbh but, I just put the three pin connector on using the 3 pins next to the plastic piece. Fits just fine with the fourth pin sticking up next to the connector.

pwmfan.jpg

The fourth pin is a PWM (Pulse width modulation) line for more accurate sense and control of fan speed.

The fourth pin is a PWM (Pulse width modulation) line for more accurate sense and control of fan speed.

Right.

It is unfortunate though, that I can't find a high end fan that supports it.

Oh well. I guess I am going to just hold off on installing the ultima-90 until I buy a new motherboard.

That being said, the 5th anniversary edition of the scythe ninja looks freaking sweet! I regret not buying that instead. :p

Rexus PWM 120m fans. $18/ea + $5 s/h. I got a 2 for 1 deal, and shoulda got 4.

Nice and quiet, and draw nice air if you let your mobo ramp them up under heat.

Unfortunately that fourth pin of the PWM pin cannot carry a fan speed signal so you have to have a seperate signal just for RPM, hence the four wires. If the PWM line could carry a fan speed signal it would only be a three pin. HOWEVER, PWM is far supperior to rehobus/pot controllers

Back