Bah, I just realized

Ste

Gawd
I just realized that my PSU only has one 8 Pin connector that doubles as the 4 PIN Cpu Connector and as such Ill need a converter for the X2.

Will the 4870 X2 come with a 6 to 8 pin or "something" to 8 pin converter?

I have two 6 pins and I know the X2 needs one 6 pin and one 8 pin, so my guess is Ill just have to pick up a 6 to 8?

Right? Or will ATI provide it..

This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887002

The 8pin is for cpu only and I am pretty sure you can't use it for your video card. You can convert one 6 pin to a 8 pin so you then would have a 6 pin and 8 pin power.

ya that would work fine but will cost u $12bux
so when the X2 release tomorrow, check at the pictures first ;)

I believe that adapter is for your motherboard and not a video card, It also says in the description of the product "This adapter converts 2 standard 4-pin Molex connectors into 1 8-pin P8 connector allowing you to use today's powerful motherboards!" So that adapter won't work.

Just to let you know it looks like the Sapphire and HIS one from Newegg have the adapter

According to the adapter specs. It's requires two molex AND a 4 pin connector to convert to 8 pin.

Just to let you know it looks like the Sapphire and HIS one from Newegg have the adapter

wow, how cheap can a company be, to charge someone that kind of $$ for a video card and NOT include an adapter...? wow...

I dont think its them being cheap. It is that the adapter takes 3 plugs total to make up 1 8 pin. Most people use the 4 pin connector on the motherboard itself. I havent seen any video card include this adapter yet. My 4870 came with a 6 pin adapter because it atually does just use two molex to make a 6 pin.

Video cards that dont use standard molex or PCI-E connectors should come with adapters.

Don't quote me on this, but even if you get a converter for the 6 pin to 8 pin I have read it is not recommended you use the converters for a long time. Plus... my GTX 280 came with an 8 pin adapter and in order to use it you have to plug in 2 6 pins. I think you may need to get a new power supply. :(

Don't quote me on this, but even if you get a converter for the 6 pin to 8 pin I have read it is not recommended you use the converters for a long time. Plus... my GTX 280 came with an 8 pin adapter and in order to use it you have to plug in 2 6 pins. I think you may need to get a new power supply. :(

I have read this too on forum boards but never from a manufacturer. Why would they supply an adapter when it would reck cards in the long run? They don't want massive RMAs.

Back